• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and THAT, in a nutshell, is where I'm coming from...
Probably should wait to judge Phillip, too, until he takes a job without MJ/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe or Kerr and no Big 3 and 4?

Truth be told, I wouldn't disagree if you said that's true.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably should wait to judge Phillip, too, until he takes a job without MJ/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe or Kerr and no Big 3 and 4?

I mean, honestly. what would you have me say...?

trust me, i thought Erik Spoelstra wasn't that good either til he proved he could coach without LeClown...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, the jury is pretty much in on Phil. The consensus seems to be that he was great at managing egos, but pretty average at the X's and O's.

For Ty Lue, we know he can manage Lebron's ego. Kevin Love says that he's very good at the X's and O's, others seem to think he's not.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the jury is pretty much in on Phil. The consensus seems to be that he was great at managing egos, but pretty average at the X's and O's.

For Ty Lue, we know he can manage Lebron's ego. Kevin Love says that he's very good at the X's and O's, others seem to think he's not.
who played for him who said he's not?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who played for him who said he's not?
Who played for Phil Jackson who said he's not good at xs and os? Who played for Steve Kerr and said the same? That's the metric you are using?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who played for Phil Jackson who said he's not good at xs and os? Who played for Steve Kerr and said the same? That's the metric you are using?
He said Love said he was good at Xs and Os but others said he is not. wondered who the others are.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No players. Media talking heads and Wiggy.
Gotcha...I'm gonna put a guy who actually ran a play with his Xs and Os over a talking head and Wiggy, though.

either way, not even saying he's a good coach. He's like most...give him talent and he can win. Don't and he wont.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha...I'm gonna put a guy who actually ran a play with his Xs and Os over a talking head and Wiggy, though.

either way, not even saying he's a good coach. He's like most...give him talent and he can win. Don't and he wont.

Oh, I agree. Like I told Wiggy, "Go talk to Kevin Love. He said it." lol

And yeah, give any coach talent and he's going to win. The only real difference is a good coach might squeeze a few more wins out of a bad team or take a good one farther.

But end of the day, no coach is winning anything without talent.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree. Like I told Wiggy, "Go talk to Kevin Love. He said it." lol

And yeah, give any coach talent and he's going to win. The only real difference is a good coach might squeeze a few more wins out of a bad team or take a good one farther.

But end of the day, no coach is winning anything without talent.
Good points, and we don't know what yet what someone like Kerr or Phillip (or Lue) would do without a megastar or 2. We do know Walton and Mike Brown were something like 41-4 when in charge of GS.

Also fair to say the time they played with similar talent Lue and the cavs beat Kerr and GS.

Always said my favs are the coaches who have done more with less. Larry Brown always first to come to mind.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players agreed to the CBA. They have a choice....do what most of us do and don't play in the NFL.

The deck is only stacked so poorly against them compared to owners in other leagues who maybe caved too easily and/or offered players too much. NFL players are treated like most employees.....don't do your job (or don't live up to your value) and you can be let go (and not paid).

I'd like to see all 3 have something in the middle of where NFL is and NBA/MLB.

Sorry for the late response. Missed this post.

And no, the NFL players really don't have a choice. Yes, they could decide not to play. But, the problem is that the average NFL career is just 3.3 years. The players don't have any leverage in these negotiations because the average player can't afford to sit out an entire season and forgo a third (or more) of their potential career earnings.

The NFL CBA takes advantage of its work force and the player's association lacks the power to change it because it would require the average player to sacrifice their own playing career so the next guy can get a better opportunity.

It may happen eventually, but this is why the owners have so much control over the NFL CBA. Other sports have a lot more leverage.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat is a little misguided as it's skewed by so many playing a year or less and not cutting it. Should the NFL owners pay guys who can barely hang on in the league as well?

A little different bringing 90 guys to camp every year as opposed to 20 in NBA and guessing 50 in MLB.....and MLB has minor leagues.

Any idea what minor league players get paid? Would you be OK if NFL could send guys they don't want into that situation?

It isn't misguided though.

The majority of the workforce plays less than 3 seasons. They are part of the NFLPA.

The top 20% of the league could afford a work stoppage. Most of the rest probably can't. The NFLPA is made up of mostly short timers. So expecting them to vote for any real change while sacrificing their own career is not very realistic.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, which is why I don't get the beef against the NFL owners. Peter Lewis makes a nice living I'm sure. Don't get the job done or not earn your value at Progressive and my guess is they will get rid of you.

Yeah. That is true.

Difference being, I don't sign a multi-year contract at my job. And for me to get fired mid-contract it would require something more than just poor performance. It would require cause.

All I want is for NFL owners to be required to keep their promises made when they sign these contracts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should take advantage of college and pursue a different career field.

BS.

So, while the league is making billions upon billions of dollars, your response to an unjust labor system is:

"Pick another career"

Well yeah. Most do when their time is up. Still, makes me sick to see a billionaire basically steal a few hundred thousand from an injured player because he can't perform to level of the long term contract the owner signed.

A contract is a 2 way promise. Unless the player does something (like commit a crime) to justify getting fired, the owner should have to live up to their promise like in every other professional sport.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you just want football players to get better benefits than actual college grads? I claimed it's a little absurd you think it's a no-brainer guys must be paid who are not cut out for the job or do not perform up to value. You are completely unwilling to see things from the other side.

You ignore these guys are paid a ton yet don't care if a young guy in the real world would lose his job (where he never was paid 500K to help him get by) because his position is not needed or he is not earning his keep.....who has a "real degree".

You also ignore that in at least 40+ years they have never lowered rosters.

I do care about that.

If a guy in the world world signs a multi-year contract to do his job, I fully expect his company to honor the deal unless they have cause to fire him.

I don't know very many regular people who sign multi-year contracts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he knows what restricted free agency is

I think he knows.

This is likely his way of creating leverage. Why would the Celtics match a big offer for a player who doesn't want to be there?

Whether or not it works, time will tell.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. The difference between this and Bielein is that everyone was paying attention to and speculating on the Lakers job and Lue was considered a frontrunner for it. So, if someone else was to have interviewed him, seems very likely that there would have been a report.

Also, we didn't hear about Belein to the Cavs because nobody outside Cleveland cares who their coach is.

They aren't currently relevant.

The Lakers are whether they win or not because they have LeBron and LeBron draws a ton of attention.