• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 MLB Transactions

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have signed him to that contract. GTFOH I hate our GM!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been ok if the Giants signed him to that contract. I have no idea if he would have signed that contract here or not, though.

But...

that’s really just the sentimental fan in me. This team to shed, not collect. And unfortunately, that means letting an all timer like bum walk.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been ok if the Giants signed him to that contract. I have no idea if he would have signed that contract here or not, though.

But...

that’s really just the sentimental fan in me. This team to shed, not collect. And unfortunately, that means letting an all timer like bum walk.

It's best to just move on and not get caught up in the sentimental side of things when the Giants aren't in a position to complete for the playoffs. That's the type of thinking that got them here.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants allegedly offered 4/~$70 to Bum
That basically tells me they didn't want to sign him.

Amazing that Bum did what he did for the Giants, and they never signed him to a multi-year contract.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That basically tells me they didn't want to sign him.

Amazing that Bum did what he did for the Giants, and they never signed him to a multi-year contract.

Giants offered slightly higher AAV, but the year probably helped a lot. Plus, he loves AZ. But I agree that they went in completely fine losing out on him.

The two sides did sign a multi-year contract, though, in 2012 when he was 22. He signed an extremely team friendly 5-year, $35m deal that, with the two options, turned into a 7-year, $59 million contract. Bargain.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you want us to sell and rebuild, now you want to sign the 30 year old pitcher?

I fail to see how those differ from one another. I wanted to trade him for prospects yes. I also want to squire talent for a reasonable price. One does not exclude the other.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fail to see how those differ from one another. I wanted to trade him for prospects yes. I also want to squire talent for a reasonable price. One does not exclude the other.
I've felt very conflicted about Bumgarner walking from the team. It will seem extremely weird to see him wearing any other uniform but the years on a pitcher the wrong side of 30 can be scary. Its hard to say, but the Giants may be better off this way.
And while the FO is going about "reloading" in an interesting way, it should be pointed out that there is only one player signed beyond 2021 - Evan Longoria (unless the Giants exercise Cueto's option after 2021). It will be interesting to see if any guys get signed this offseason for more than 2 years.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree with you there. I probably would have brought him back too, but it's probably best to just move on.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've felt very conflicted about Bumgarner walking from the team. It will seem extremely weird to see him wearing any other uniform but the years on a pitcher the wrong side of 30 can be scary. Its hard to say, but the Giants may be better off this way.
And while the FO is going about "reloading" in an interesting way, it should be pointed out that there is only one player signed beyond 2021 - Evan Longoria (unless the Giants exercise Cueto's option after 2021). It will be interesting to see if any guys get signed this offseason for more than 2 years.

I think they would for Nick Castellanos.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But...

I would have definitely been ok with 5/$85 or 4/$70. Bum is definitely a top 5 Giant for me all time.

That said, I was surprisingly ok with him going to the Diamondbacks. First, he’s not a Dodger, second, he deserves to get paid and have a chance to win. Here, he’d only get paid.

It’s sad to see a legend move on, but it’s also painful to watch a demigod (Posey) turn into a withering statue too.

I wish Bum well, he deserves it. Hopefully he pitches the Diamondbacks past the Dodgers in the playoffs and onto the WS.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have definitely been ok with 5/$85 or 4/$70. Bum is definitely a top 5 Giant for me all time.

That said, I was surprisingly ok with him going to the Diamondbacks. First, he’s not a Dodger, second, he deserves to get paid and have a chance to win. Here, he’d only get paid.

It’s sad to see a legend move on, but it’s also painful to watch a demigod (Posey) turn into a withering statue too.

I wish Bum well, he deserves it. Hopefully he pitches the Diamondbacks past the Dodgers in the playoffs and onto the WS.
But will he win in Arizona? They've been talking about trading out Robbie Ray because of his arb numbers and pending free agency and now that Bumgarner is signed, the rumors are starting to increase on Ray's departure. I'm not convinced that the move will help his chances for another ring.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo the reason to have bum is to take advantage of his fierce post season competitiveness. when it was obvious post season play for the giants was not on the foreseeable horizon i had hoped he would have been traded for some value to a team in the hunt.

that didn't happen and we're still years from competing for the division. by the time we get there who knows what his effectiveness will be.

i'm fine with the flexibility of an extra roster spot and a little cap room. hopefully it won't be squandered on a middle of the road re-tread

g/l to him and hopefully i'll be in the stands to show appreciation when he returns to the cove

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But will he win in Arizona? They've been talking about trading out Robbie Ray because of his arb numbers and pending free agency and now that Bumgarner is signed, the rumors are starting to increase on Ray's departure. I'm not convinced that the move will help his chances for another ring.
Haha, maybe I should have said a “better” chance to win. Yeah, I agree, his WS contending days are most likely over...but then again, I never viewed the 10/12/14 Giants as serious contenders either...until they were. Plus, I think the DBags will be closer to the playoff picture for the next 3 years at least than our beloved Giants.

Basically, I’m just happy Bum got paid and he’s not a Dodger.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, maybe I should have said a “better” chance to win. Yeah, I agree, his WS contending days are most likely over...but then again, I never viewed the 10/12/14 Giants as serious contenders either...until they were. Plus, I think the DBags will be closer to the playoff picture for the next 3 years at least than our beloved Giants.

Basically, I’m just happy Bum got paid and he’s not a Dodger.
I'm still curious what happened to his desire to get paid at least 100 million. I thought that was a reasonable demand in this offseason. Hey, maybe he was just smoke and mirrors on that one.
But yes, I did immediately breathe a sigh of relief when it was not the Dodgers he signed with. I wanted him off the market quickly, just to get that lingering feeling of dread out of the way.