• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He didn't start because the Lakers had an all star SG, not because he wouldn't have been able to perform.

As I said earlier, I don't think he puts up the numbers that Lebron did. But I do think that he could have posted something close to what his per 36 was for that season.

The Lakers had the option to let him develop with little pressure on him. I'd be willing to bet that if the Cavs had that option with Lebron, they'd have taken it as well.
Can't prove it, but I would not make that bet. Only a guess, but guessing Lebron also had more of an NBA body as a rookie than Kobe.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He didn't start because the Lakers had an all star SG, not because he wouldn't have been able to perform.

As I said earlier, I don't think he puts up the numbers that Lebron did. But I do think that he could have posted something close to what his per 36 was for that season.

The Lakers had the option to let him develop with little pressure on him. I'd be willing to bet that if the Cavs had that option with Lebron, they'd have taken it as well.

I don't think it's fair comparison as far as how their careers got started. There's no question LeBron was ready as a rookie. I just don't think the same can be said about Kobe.

He became the starter in his 3rd year after playing in a total of 170 games (7 starts). And didn't even average 20/5/5. Something LeBron did as a rookie like I previously mentioned.

And like I've said before I've always enjoyed watching the best the NBA has to offer. No matter what team. I this is just how I feel on this topic. LeBron > Kobe. I only mentioned that because I didn't want you to think I had some kind of Celtics bias with this topic.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair comparison as far as how their careers got started. There's no question LeBron was ready as a rookie. I just don't think the same can be said about Kobe.

He became the starter in his 3rd year after playing in a total of 170 games (7 starts). And didn't even average 20/5/5. Something LeBron did as a rookie like I previously mentioned.

And like I've said before I've always enjoyed watching the best the NBA has to offer. No matter what team. I this is just how I feel on this topic. LeBron > Kobe. I only mentioned that because I didn't want you to think I had some kind of Celtics bias with this topic.

I understand your point, but you are making an assumption without considering all factors.

The Lakers had an all star shooting guard on the roster already. Why would they start a 17 year old kid straight out of high school when they didn't have to?

Again, if the Lakers were in the Cavs situation, I have no doubt that Kobe would have started. But they were a 53 win team that had the luxury of letting him learn and develop without the pressure of starting.

Again, per 36 isn't a great measure, but it does show that he'd likely have been fine.

And ftr, I didn't like Kobe any more than I do Lebron, so there's no bias (especially now that Lebron's a Laker lol).

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing the magnitude that sports can have on your life.

I hate the Lakers.

I despised Kobe.

So, why do I feel like I'm about to vomit?

His last game as a Pro is a gift that we can enjoy and I'm thankful it's all over youtube.

But, his family...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate the Lakers.

I despised Kobe.

His last game as a Pro is a gift that we can enjoy and I'm thankful it's all over youtube.

But, his family...
Because you value life more then a game

RIP Kobe and Gianna Bryant

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate the Lakers.

I despised Kobe.

Because we watched him grow up.

Most, if not all of us on here either watched him grow up...

Or grew up with him.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the other 3 who lost their lives.
Oh my God...

I wasn't even aware his daughter was onboard.

I was driving home from Red Robin when the radio announced his death.

No details...

RIP to all that lost their lives and condolences to all their family and friends .

This is so fucking AWFUL.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate the Lakers.

I despised Kobe.

But, his family...
Did his family ever make amends with him?

I really hope so.

We always think we have tomorrow.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or grew up with him.

Yup which is why I have such a huge connection with D-Wade. To be growing up with a player make you feel like you know them....almost feel like a distant family member

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard a really cool story that Lebron apparently told last night on Slam Dunk...

When Lebron was 17 or 18 he was in Philadelphia for a high school basketball game that he was in. Kobe invited him to his hotel to talk to him about life in the NBA, etc. Kobe ends up giving Lebron a pair of his basketball shoes.

Lebron said: "I'm a size 15 and Kobe was a size 14. But I put those shoes on and wore them all game the next game anyway".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my God...

I wasn't even aware his daughter was onboard.

I was driving home from Red Robin when the radio announced his death.

No details...

RIP to all that lost their lives and condolences to all their family and friends .

This is so fucking AWFUL.
Even worse...though they are not famous another teenager and her father were on the flight and lost their lives.

so sad.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible start to 2020 for the NBA. First Stern and now Kobe. Both pretty sudden also

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or grew up with him.

That's exactly what it is. We watched a 17 year old kid from high school turn in to an NBA superstar who spent his entire career with the team we love.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what it is. We watched a 17 year old kid from high school turn in to an NBA superstar who spent his entire career with the team we love.

When you add in the internet, social media, etc. we know so much more about players than we ever did...like @bksballer89 said, it's like a distant family member.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even worse...though they are not famous another teenager and her father were on the flight and lost their lives.

so sad.

Apparently there were 9 people on the flight.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point, but you are making an assumption without considering all factors.

The Lakers had an all star shooting guard on the roster already. Why would they start a 17 year old kid straight out of high school when they didn't have to?

Again, if the Lakers were in the Cavs situation, I have no doubt that Kobe would have started. But they were a 53 win team that had the luxury of letting him learn and develop without the pressure of starting.

Again, per 36 isn't a great measure, but it does show that he'd likely have been fine.

And ftr, I didn't like Kobe any more than I do Lebron, so there's no bias (especially now that Lebron's a Laker lol).

Kobe was a great player.

But LeBron was the ONLY player from the modern era to enter the NBA straight out of high school and be ready to be a star.

Not a knock on Kobe to say he wasn’t on LeBron’s level. But it really isn’t conjecture. If Kobe was was as good as LeBron as a rookie, he would have had a much greater role with or without Eddie Jones on the roster.

It took Kobe, KG, TMac, Dwight, Jermaine O’Neal, etc. a few years to get up to speed. LeBron hit the ground running like no other and he has kept it going.

Which is why I believe only a semi early retirement or serious injury will keep LBJ from eventually passing Kareem.