• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Playoffs

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about last year. Check ratings for this NBA season...way down.

Part of that is due to the election. The other aspect to consider is a league-wide issue with players resting marquee games.

NBA Regular-Season Ratings Dipped in 2016-17

The fact that the Cavs and Dubs are likely going to meet again for the 3rd straight time and in no way is related to the ratings dip you're talking about. In fact, one can make the argument that Warriors Cavs will make for another interesting series and would boost the product, not diminish it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of that is due to the election. The other aspect to consider is a league-wide issue with players resting marquee games.

NBA Regular-Season Ratings Dipped in 2016-17

The fact that the Cavs and Dubs are likely going to meet again for the 3rd straight time and in no way is related to the ratings dip you're talking about. In fact, one can make the argument that Warriors Cavs will make for another interesting series and would boost the product, not diminish it.

Yeah, even the NFL suffered a ratings dip because of the election. I would also guess that more people streaming content via the interwebz has something to do with it as well. If I understood what I heard correctly, it's pretty difficult to include folks that use other means besides tv to watch games.

Plus, people who complain about re-matches and only 2-4 teams having a real shot have obviously not been watching the NBA for very long. It's always been that way to some extent. The league has always been top heavy because in basketball, 1 player can make an incredible amount of difference. It's why, in any playoff series, the team with the best player usually wins. This, even though they may not necessarily be the better team overall.

Example - Put Lebron on the Nets, Suns or Lakers and they suddenly go from one of the 3 worst teams in the league to at least a 2nd round caliber playoff team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, people who complain about re-matches and only 2-4 teams having a real shot have obviously not been watching the NBA for very long. It's always been that way to some extent. The league has always been top heavy because in basketball, 1 player can make an incredible amount of difference. It's why, in any playoff series, the team with the best player usually wins. This, even though they may not necessarily be the better team overall.

Exactly. I don't think there's ever been a season in the last 15 years or so where we entered the playoffs with more than 4 or 5 teams having a real shot at a title. This year it is probably 3. I think most think the Spurs can win a series vs Cleveland if they get that far.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The election was going on for maybe 3 weekso f the NBA season...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's just a measure of traditional TV ratings. In game attendance is up this year as was streaming options, which would explain some of those ratings drops (people watching League Pass on a device as opposed to TNT/ESPN)

TLDR, the NBA is doing pretty well

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clippers-choke-memes_4.jpg

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Clippers are out early again. Got to think/wonder if Griffin's days as a Clipper are over.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about those Rockets last night? I thought they'd put up a fight vs. the Spurs but last night they flat out embarrassed the Spurs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude....you need to think of this logically.

I have a VERY simple question for you.

Why do you think the NBA Salary cap has absolutely exploded to unprecedented levels the last couple years?