• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Gator Football happenings etc..

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this is going to be epic hire for us even though it may not have been the flashy one... call it intuition.. but im posting this today...
as a mark of my belief.. i watched that clip and a few things just scream at me.. 1. his body language.. he genuinely looks excited to be here..2. ive said it before relentless is what we need.. 3 he knows EXACTLY what we expect and understands how to get there. 4 he will pull the Tebow card and use it to the fullest extent 5. he fired pretty much everybody from the previous staff and that is exactly what needed to happen.. ive not been sold on shannon as a dc since we started taking steps backwards.. things are looking up and im all aboard for this.. ill get some more perspective by NSD.. but i feel positive going forward..

Well, you were right about Hurricane Irma's track...almost. So, who am I to doubt you?

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting read:
Gators search unmasked: Longtime Florida insider dishes on Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly, Mike Gundy

we now have a glimpse behind the curtain at some of those exciting twists and turns that led to Dan Mullen being the replacement for Jim McElwain in Gainesville.

While there’s really no replacing a thorough read of Dooley’s synopsis of the coaching search, which gives a glimpse into the mind of Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin, we’ll try to hit some of the highlights for you. It really is fascinating information.

Scott Stricklin
  • Appears to have wanted to hire Dan Mullen all along, but was uneasy about “poaching” him from Mississippi State, Stricklin’s alma mater and former employer).
  • Reached out to Gators greats like Tim Tebow, Danny Wuerffel, Steve Spurrier and others to get their input on what type of coach needed to be the next leader of the Gators.
Chip Kelly
  • Was initially crossed off the list of candidates due to his NCAA show-cause penalty, but reemerged after his agent reached out to the Gators to express interest.
  • Stricklin visited Kelly in New Hampshire twice. The second visit, which received much publicity, was to allow Dr. Kent Fuchs to meet Kelly to sign off on a potential deal. There was no agreement after this meeting, signed or otherwise.
  • Kelly called Florida several days before agreeing to coach at UCLA to tell them that the “fishbowl” atmosphere was not for him.
Dan Mullen
  • Was considering a move to Tennessee after the Egg Bowl, which pressured Florida to get things done.
  • Hammered out details with Stricklin through a series of conversations that began on Friday after the Egg Bowl and carried through Saturday night after the FSU game.
Scott Frost
  • Florida was afraid to wait for Frost to complete his season at UCF because it feared he would choose Nebraska. Ultimately, he did so.
  • Florida had concerns that he only had two seasons of head coaching experience, and had not been a coach in the Power 5.
Mike Gundy (mystery candidate?)
  • Though Mike Gundy was not named specifically in this discussion, a “mystery candidate” believe to be the Oklahoma State coach emerged late in the process.
  • Stricklin did not feel as though the interest was genuine after phone conversations.