• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft Thread

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sounds similar to our discussions here. Pros, cons, upside or ceiling, injuries, etc.
Also the summaries at the end tell you that nobody will be jumping out the window if the other guy is selected first.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is the similar mindset here and among other NJ Devils forums i bet.....

8 days to go!

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cannot wait for the draft. I know we beat these arguments to death but I just reread that article Calamity that you posted. Notice the statements about Nolan are always well rounded, two way....almost like saying go the safe route. I agree with all that but at the same time, you got 31 teams in the league competing and its unlikely the Devils land a number one overall pick any time soon.
Roll the damn dice. Go for the guy with the high upside.

We have plenty of 2 way players in the organization both now, and future wise. My thinking is, go with the guy with pure skill who has the higher upside. Sure its probably more of a gamble but with so many teams this competitive, you go with the higher upside who can really be that star player.

Will say it again. Saw the guy in every world junior game. Yes, I am probably one of the few Americans who watch the world juniors lol. Swiss team is a nobody usually. The guy to me showed true leadership, besides obvious skill, in the game against the heavily favored USA when he by himself almost beat us. After that game, I was hoping he would be available at the 8,9,10 levels I thought the Devils would end up with. When he became a top prospect, I gave it up but still posted about him months ago. I ended up watching other Swiss games just to watch him play. Guy has just pure hockey sense and skill. He was making scrubs on his team look like all stars.

One more thing. Devils will never be the Rangers or other teams that just attract free agents or guys like Vesey last year. That is why you need to take more chances to be successful.

My last post endorsing Nico. thank you.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they played it safe last year with mcloed who is a ho-hum well rounded great two way guy with blazing speed. maybe they do go with the upside and take nico....i can't see them passing up a big center though. i think they go nolan and i want them to go nolan. say we take nico and he doesn't pan out as a center so we move him to the wing who's passing him the puck whos setting him up?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I like to see Nico at W.... hopefully RW but if not, i understand.

We are bit stacked at C with young guys...

I guess i see Nolan as the true C while Nico is at W for me...

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if nico had 2 years at the juniors and put up these numbers i would feel so much better about drafting him.

like shero said these two guys are different. one is a player maker that can score and do all the things the other is a scorer who is a playmaker that can do all the things

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot wait for the draft. I know we beat these arguments to death but I just reread that article Calamity that you posted. Notice the statements about Nolan are always well rounded, two way....almost like saying go the safe route. I agree with all that but at the same time, you got 31 teams in the league competing and its unlikely the Devils land a number one overall pick any time soon.

We have plenty of 2 way players in the organization both now, and future wise. My thinking is, go with the guy with pure skill who has the higher upside. Sure its probably more of a gamble but with so many teams this competitive, you go with the higher upside who can really be that star player.

Will say it again. Saw the guy in every world junior game. Yes, I am probably one of the few Americans who watch the world juniors lol. Swiss team is a nobody usually. The guy to me showed true leadership, besides obvious skill, in the game against the heavily favored USA when he by himself almost beat us. After that game, I was hoping he would be available at the 8,9,10 levels I thought the Devils would end up with. When he became a top prospect, I gave it up but still posted about him months ago. I ended up watching other Swiss games just to watch him play. Guy has just pure hockey sense and skill. He was making scrubs on his team look like all stars.

One more thing. Devils will never be the Rangers or other teams that just attract free agents or guys like Vesey last year. That is why you need to take more chances to be successful.

You've got me sold on Nico.Plus I always go for 13. See how it goes its getting close now :hope:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I read from Darren dredger I believe. Said in good authority the Devils are leaning nico and since shero said he knows who he will take then that would seal the deal.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, with draft 2 days away, I am all on board the Nico train. watching some scouting reviews/rankings last few days along with both their highlight reels, think Nico has the potential to be a special player. Not that Patrick is a slouch, just looks like Nico has that "it" factor

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the main board, this would be huge. The possible return scares me but could be better than worrying whether or not we make the wrong choice and have the other guy haunt us for a decade.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like for Vegas, whatever the package it could be.... new era, bring in a building block

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Per the main board, this would be huge. The possible return scares me but could be better than worrying whether or not we make the wrong choice and have the other guy haunt us for a decade.

not sure what vegas could possibly be offering to make the flyers want to trade the #2. the flyers will obviously get the #5 back and what another 1st rounder late in the draft? or two? its a meh draft to begin with and the only 2 legit players are the top 2 no?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i do agree i rather have vegas with the pick then the flyers

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if i remember correctly the exposed list contained 8 former first round picks. keep that in mind how many busts happen every year in the draft.