• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Commit List (in OP) and general recruiting thread

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's gonna be just fine. Get him in the weight room and keep his nose in the playbook.

Way too early to tell whether or not he's gonna spend this year on the sideline with a headset and a clipboard, but it's a tough offense to learn.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think we can afford to redshirt him this year.. get him some decent playing time to set up for next

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam from this morning

"O'Brien has to work on certain throws outside the numbers of the field. That'll come with time. The nose of the ball points down and the ball wobbles some on the deeper throws toward the sidelines. That makes it tough on receivers who are used to running routes a certain precise depth. Know this: Nebraska wideouts are running crisper, more detailed and disciplined routes than they did a few years ago, so the quarterback has to get the ball there. O'Brien's working on that. But when he throws deep, there's a nice touch on the ball, and O'Brien's quietly competitive. He moves more than well enough for Nebraska's offense, and he'll get even better there. There's a lot to like about O'Brien."

Spring Practice: Sam's Roster Takes, Offense

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam from this morning

"O'Brien has to work on certain throws outside the numbers of the field. That'll come with time. The nose of the ball points down and the ball wobbles some on the deeper throws toward the sidelines. That makes it tough on receivers who are used to running routes a certain precise depth. Know this: Nebraska wideouts are running crisper, more detailed and disciplined routes than they did a few years ago, so the quarterback has to get the ball there. O'Brien's working on that. But when he throws deep, there's a nice touch on the ball, and O'Brien's quietly competitive. He moves more than well enough for Nebraska's offense, and he'll get even better there. There's a lot to like about O'Brien."

Spring Practice: Sam's Roster Takes, Offense
This part applies more so to TA, what I would like to see in practice is throwing to the wide open WR, sometimes plural, instead of the 3x covered guy. Hitting the RB in stride on the screen or check down, whatever check down means. Then if there's time, work on not throwing high, and or combo, behind the guy over the middle. Ideally things of this nature would get worked out before his 5th year. But yeah I get the standard were holding POB to 4 practices in

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This part applies more so to TA, what I would like to see in practice is throwing to the wide open WR, sometimes plural, instead of the 3x covered guy. Hitting the RB in stride on the screen or check down, whatever check down means. Then if there's time, work on not throwing high, and or combo, behind the guy over the middle. Ideally things of this nature would get worked out before his 5th year. But yeah I get the standard were holding POB to 4 practices in

Sam talking about the practices he's seen:

Armstrong's growth, or lack thereof, will hinge on decision-making and accuracy. In the former department, Armstrong again had a few bad moments, and not in the "trust your arm too much" way, but in the "that guy's really not open" way. Remember though, a good running game will help put Armstrong in manageable downs and better passing situations. He has the strongest arm on the team; that hasn't changed. And Armstrong, when he runs, is still a step quicker than most of Nebraska's 'backers and safeties.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just playing the advocate in a dick kind of way, you guys know I like to do that. I find it laughable the way these experts are heaping it on Obrien already, to some degree they're trying to temper the growing number of fans who are calling for him to be anointed straight away. Literally all of the things they point out translate to TA beyond arm strength, I'd choose the latter after seeing what only that quality gets us. Even one summer of training could resolve that issue, if that's it idk, as I don't watch his practices
I'm not in the boat that thinks POB should start next year, if possible it would be huge to RS him however Riley may not have much choice given our current starters tendencies

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Darnay Holmes had a great visit, anyone got any info from that? @oaknightshockey1

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Armstrong for Heisman! He wins it leading Nebraska to a 6th national championship!

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnay wanted to make a decision in June but he has said he likely won't be able to do that anymore. This one will take a while.

Also, on the note for POB, I am actually on the other side of the fence on the idea that we can't afford to redshirt him. Getting him garbage duty this year does nothing but take away a year of development from him. If you're going to play him he needs to be playing during meaningful times of the game, not just in mop up duty.

Also this idea that we're screwed with him as a QB if he doesn't have experience going into 2017 just isn't well founded. All of the most recent Heisman caliber QBs had fantastic RS-Fr seasons, very few played as true freshman. Redshirting is a good thing at the QB spot IMO.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gebbia is reportedly down to Nebraska and Ole Piss. Decision coming relatively soon.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gebbia is reportedly down to Nebraska and Ole Piss. Decision coming relatively soon.

Not overly surprising, thought it would always be either us or them... pending NCAA sanctions could help us, also KJJ being all but N could as well.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not overly surprising, thought it would always be either us or them... pending NCAA sanctions could help us, also KJJ being all but N could as well.

KJJ followed the assistant recruiting coordinator for Florida today on twitter so UF will be able to DM him. Holmes did a couple days ago.

Doubt it means anything as far as KJJ. The clock is ticking on his B/R video.

As I'm sure you know, Gebbia's father played for Ole Piss.

I'm getting really tired of that snake in the grass Hugh Freeze gobbling up blue chippers left and right. Everyone knows they're dirty, it's just a matter of whether they covered their tracks well enough now.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KJJ followed the assistant recruiting coordinator for Florida today on twitter so UF will be able to DM him. Holmes did a couple days ago.

Doubt it means anything as far as KJJ. The clock is ticking on his B/R video.

As I'm sure you know, Gebbia's father played for Ole Piss.

I'm getting really tired of that snake in the grass Hugh Freeze gobbling up blue chippers left and right. Everyone knows they're dirty, it's just a matter of whether they covered their tracks well enough now.
Fortunately for us, Gebbia's family is loaded, so it's not like getting paid by a team like Ole Miss is really that much motivation.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnay wanted to make a decision in June but he has said he likely won't be able to do that anymore. This one will take a while.

Also, on the note for POB, I am actually on the other side of the fence on the idea that we can't afford to redshirt him. Getting him garbage duty this year does nothing but take away a year of development from him. If you're going to play him he needs to be playing during meaningful times of the game, not just in mop up duty.

Also this idea that we're screwed with him as a QB if he doesn't have experience going into 2017 just isn't well founded. All of the most recent Heisman caliber QBs had fantastic RS-Fr seasons, very few played as true freshman. Redshirting is a good thing at the QB spot IMO.
While I think there is some value in being on that stage, you are right in that mop up duty is not all that valuable. What I see as valuable is having him get second team reps in our offense, as opposed to going and running other teams' offenses on the scout team.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I think there is some value in being on that stage, you are right in that mop up duty is not all that valuable. What I see as valuable is having him get second team reps in our offense, as opposed to going and running other teams' offenses on the scout team.

Still gotta learn the playbook. That's a steep learning curve for a true freshman still figuring out the balance between school and football here.

A RS would do nothing but good IMO. Send in Fyfe for mop up this year.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gotta learn the playbook. That's a steep learning curve for a true freshman still figuring out the balance between school and football here.

A RS would do nothing but good IMO. Send in Fyfe for mop up this year.
My point is that he won't have a ton of time to do that if he's on the scout team. Being second string gives him more time in OUR offense as opposed to playing as our opponent.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that he won't have a ton of time to do that if he's on the scout team. Being second string gives him more time in OUR offense as opposed to playing as our opponent.

I guess neither situation is all bad. He'd still be learning the playbook. He'd still have another summer in the weight room. He'd still be getting good coaching even if he's not always running our offense

I have a whole lot more trust in Riley's decision making regarding QB's than I ever would with Bo.

Keep in mind Stanton was ranked higher in the national composite and in the state of Cali at QB than O'Brien was. Two different players, yes. But it just proves you have to be weary about going all in on a guy only to find out he's a bust. Need to keep bringing in quality passers until one sticks.

The spring game will be telling. It'll be Armstrong and Fyfe who get the early looks, but if Bush gets more time than O'Brien...

Remember how bad Stanton looked? Hopefully we see better than that from him.

Last edited: