• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NHL trade Thread

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is/was money the problem? You can get "glue" guys cheap also.

Shoestring budget while they were in Nassau. I think PAP was more the answer for them than Prince. While I understand you are getting a guy that's not a UFA, you might want to make your star Center happy by bringing in a guy that you've had some very good success with in the past.

For me, I would rather they spend the 3rd round pick on a guy that might help you go on a playoff run this year versus an up and coming project. Prince might be good, but he's not really NHL seasoned.

Time will tell.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the Isles right now is Garth, like many GMs, doesn't know how to polish off a rebuild. What you're left with is a consistently good-but-not-great roster.

On the other hand, look at the moves Jim Nill has done in Dallas. It hasn't been without crazy (Spezza signs 4-year extension with Stars) but what they have now in Dallas easily could've been something the Isles could've had for years had Garth played his cards right.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the Isles right now is Garth, like many GMs, doesn't know how to polish off a rebuild. What you're left with is a consistently good-but-not-great roster.

On the other hand, look at the moves Jim Nill has done in Dallas. It hasn't been without crazy (Spezza signs 4-year extension with Stars) but what they have now in Dallas easily could've been something the Isles could've had for years had Garth played his cards right.

Yep - I completely agree with you that. He's too much of a wimp to make that next jump and building veterans around the younger guys. He tried that with Vanek and maybe he's just gunshy since then.

I hope to GOD they don't let Nielsen walk. He may be a softer player but he's one of the better two way players they have. Okposo can take his $7M a year somewhere else and make an entire fanbase livid.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Nill should have nabbed Joni Ortio from the Flames in addition to Kris Russell, I don't think Lehtonen or Niemi can get the job done in the playoffs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I completely agree with you that. He's too much of a wimp to make that next jump and building veterans around the younger guys. He tried that with Vanek and maybe he's just gunshy since then.

I hope to GOD they don't let Nielsen walk. He may be a softer player but he's one of the better two way players they have. Okposo can take his $7M a year somewhere else and make an entire fanbase livid.
I'd rather Nielsen over Okposo too, but then the Isles are looking to replace one of their 3 highest scorers for the 4th time this decade. Combine that with the fact Nielsen will be a 32 year old seeking (likely) his last big payday, well, Garth has some big decisions to make here. For your tortured sake I hope he's up for it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Nill should have nabbed Joni Ortio from the Flames in addition to Kris Russell, I don't think Lehtonen or Niemi can get the job done in the playoffs.
I didn't want to edit after I posted but their entire goalie situation may be crazier than the Spezza contract. You can only outgun teams so much in the postseason before running into a Chicago or LA who just suffocate you. Important as hell that you have a goalie who can make the saves to keep games close in those situations and Dallas sure as shit doesn't.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather Nielsen over Okposo too, but then the Isles are looking to replace one of their 3 highest scorers for the 4th time this decade. Combine that with the fact Nielsen will be a 32 year old seeking (likely) his last big payday, well, Garth has some big decisions to make here. For your tortured sake I hope he's up for it.

I don't care that Okposo gets all these points. I watch him play and I just want to jump through the TV and shake the shit out of him. I don't know what his advanced stats say, but my eye test suggests he sucks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/when Okposo walks, the Isles will have seen Okposo, Vanek, Moulson, Parenteau and a first round pick leave their team for a combined return of a second round pick and a shitty prospect. Those four players were all averaging over 65 pts over 82 games the season they left and the first round pick turned into Colin White. That is some god-awful asset management when looked at as a whole.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/when Okposo walks, the Isles will have seen Okposo, Vanek, Moulson, Parenteau and a first round pick leave their team for a combined return of a second round pick and a shitty prospect. Those four players were all averaging over 65 pts over 82 games the season they left and the first round pick turned into Colin White. That is some god-awful asset management when looked at as a whole.

Fair enough but looking back are the contracts for Vanek, Moulson and PAP worth what those teams paid? $4M for Moulson and he's getting scratched in Buffalo, Vanek (up until the dismissal of Yeo) was pretty absent and PAP got $4M from Colorado and has had trouble finding his footing with a team.

If anything it's some pretty good foresight on Garths part.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any when some idiot GM pays Okposo $7M annually, some other fan base can scream "GET IT DEEP!" at the TV. Because I'm sick and tired of yelling it each game.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough but looking back are the contracts for Vanek, Moulson and PAP worth what those teams paid? $4M for Moulson and he's getting scratched in Buffalo, Vanek (up until the dismissal of Yeo) was pretty absent and PAP got $4M from Colorado and has had trouble finding his footing with a team.

If anything it's some pretty good foresight on Garths part.
Asset management isn't limited to re-signing your UFA's. Even excusing the Moulson-Vanek-1st rounder debacle they let and are going to likely let two 60+ pt scorers walk and receive no return. For a team that hasn't been in contention at any point during the period when these players left that is the kind of shit that would drive me bonkers. If this has all been a process why weren't those guys moved for futures to aid in that process?

In short, management has been bullshitting their fans about having a plan for years and now they're in that purgatory where they aren't close to a Cup and if they were to deal off the good pieces they do have they'd be pissing off their fans even more than they already have. And on top of it all, they have wasted half of the prime years of one of the game's best players trying to get their heads out of their own asses. That really sucks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any when some idiot GM pays Okposo $7M annually, some other fan base can scream "GET IT DEEP!" at the TV. Because I'm sick and tired of yelling it each game.
To clarify, I would play out Okposo exactly how they appear to be, not dealing him and then letting him walk to be overpaid elsewhere. I'm not faulting Garth for that now.

The fault is more in that when Parenteau walked the Isles were second-last in the conference on deadline day, and the fact that he didn't cash in then (why for nobody love PAP on deadline day?!) and then followed that up a year and a half later by mortgaging the future for a pending UFA when your team was still in 8th place not even a month into the season, you gotta ask yourself how this guy still has a job.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify, I would play out Okposo exactly how they appear to be, not dealing him and then letting him walk to be overpaid elsewhere. I'm not faulting Garth for that now.

The fault is more in that when Parenteau walked the Isles were second-last in the conference on deadline day, and the fact that he didn't cash in then (why for nobody love PAP on deadline day?!) and then followed that up a year and a half later by mortgaging the future for a pending UFA when your team was still in 8th place not even a month into the season, you gotta ask yourself how this guy still has a job.

They are 4-1 on a 7 game road trip right now and I'm going fucking bonkers. And for the record, they should have lost last night to the Canucks. As far as Garth, I think he's been a good GM for Isles and built a good pipeline of some very highly touted prospects. He's been shrewd at times and it's helped. Examples would be getting Boychuk, Leddy, draft day trade up to get Barzal and Ho-Sang the year before (although Ho-Sang need to be smacked around a bit). It seems his biggest weakness is getting veteran UFAs and trade deadline deals done. Steve Bernier? Tyler Kennedy? Shane Prince? It's just been awful.

I honestly have no idea how this team could drive me anymore mad!?!?

...........I think what's causing me to be fired up is that I'm cranking out a ton of work while listening to Ride the Lightning.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard on the cesspool, Dane Fox is still Canucks property, this is just a minor league trade that allows Fox to play for another organization.

/He's been lighting up the ECHL, FWIW.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
From what I heard on the cesspool, Dane Fox is still Canucks property, this is just a minor league trade that allows Fox to play for another organization.

/He's been lighting up the ECHL, FWIW.
@HockeyAbbs 25m25 minutes ago
#AHL reports that #Canucks send Blair Jones to Charlotte (Carolina) on loan and the Checkers loan TJ Hensick to Utica (Vancouver)

:noidea: