• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 All-Star game and break

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder may not be the biggest problem currently, but he is the problem that will be the hardest to fix and the most long lasting problem.

He's a problem that almost certainly won't be addressed until this winter.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last season might have been the best time to move him, probably had the most value then. Hindsight is what it is

Unless we were asking way too much for MM in the off-season, then his trade value is pretty low.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I just saw from Ken Rosenthal.

Maybe it will turn out to be nothing -- most leads at this time of year are. But a scout I know was astonished to walk into Surprise Stadium in Arizona the other day and count 17 other scouts in attendance. That's right, 18 scouts for a Class A Rookie League Game.

The scout reasoned that younger players are drawing more attention in trade discussions because so many teams are reluctant to part with prospects who are closer to the majors. He surmised that the home team, the Rangers, was involved in multiple trade discussions. And he noted that the Brewers had multiple scouts watching the Texas youngsters -- an indication, perhaps, that the Rangers are plotting to acquire Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy.

Again, one plus one at this time of year does not necessarily add up to two; too many variables are in play. Obviously, the Rangers' biggest need is pitching, starting and relief. But teams, increasingly frustrated with the lack of starting pitching available in trade, might seek other ways to outscore opponents.

I referenced that concept in my Full Count video Saturday, talking about the Blue Jays' possible interest in Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. The Rangers' pursuit of Lucroy, if it is indeed a pursuit, would fit the same mold. The four catchers used by the Rangers this season have combined for the 12th best OPS in the majors. Lucroy, though, clearly would represent an upgrade.
The Brewers, meanwhile, repeatedly have traded for 20-and-under prospects under David Stearns, who became GM last September. Stearns acquired infielder Javier Betancourt, 20, for closer Francisco Rodriguez; three teenage right-handers for first baseman Adam Lind and infielder Isan Diaz, 19, as part of the package for Jean Segura.

Outfielder Leody Taveras, 17, and shortstop Anderson Tejada, 18, are two of the Rangers' prospects drawing attention in the Arizona League. The Brewers, seeking a high price for Lucroy, probably would want one of the Rangers' top prospects, a Jurickson Profar, a Joey Gallo. But a youngster such as Taveras or Tejada could end up as part of a deal.

Again, I'm just musing -- I cannot say for certain that the Rangers and Brewers are in talks. But 17 scouts at an Arizona Rookie League is unusual. The lack of quality starting pitching in the trade market is unusual. Some funky things might happen between now and Aug. 1.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I just saw from Ken Rosenthal.

Maybe it will turn out to be nothing -- most leads at this time of year are. But a scout I know was astonished to walk into Surprise Stadium in Arizona the other day and count 17 other scouts in attendance. That's right, 18 scouts for a Class A Rookie League Game.

The scout reasoned that younger players are drawing more attention in trade discussions because so many teams are reluctant to part with prospects who are closer to the majors. He surmised that the home team, the Rangers, was involved in multiple trade discussions. And he noted that the Brewers had multiple scouts watching the Texas youngsters -- an indication, perhaps, that the Rangers are plotting to acquire Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy.

Again, one plus one at this time of year does not necessarily add up to two; too many variables are in play. Obviously, the Rangers' biggest need is pitching, starting and relief. But teams, increasingly frustrated with the lack of starting pitching available in trade, might seek other ways to outscore opponents.

I referenced that concept in my Full Count video Saturday, talking about the Blue Jays' possible interest in Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. The Rangers' pursuit of Lucroy, if it is indeed a pursuit, would fit the same mold. The four catchers used by the Rangers this season have combined for the 12th best OPS in the majors. Lucroy, though, clearly would represent an upgrade.
The Brewers, meanwhile, repeatedly have traded for 20-and-under prospects under David Stearns, who became GM last September. Stearns acquired infielder Javier Betancourt, 20, for closer Francisco Rodriguez; three teenage right-handers for first baseman Adam Lind and infielder Isan Diaz, 19, as part of the package for Jean Segura.

Outfielder Leody Taveras, 17, and shortstop Anderson Tejada, 18, are two of the Rangers' prospects drawing attention in the Arizona League. The Brewers, seeking a high price for Lucroy, probably would want one of the Rangers' top prospects, a Jurickson Profar, a Joey Gallo. But a youngster such as Taveras or Tejada could end up as part of a deal.

Again, I'm just musing -- I cannot say for certain that the Rangers and Brewers are in talks. But 17 scouts at an Arizona Rookie League is unusual. The lack of quality starting pitching in the trade market is unusual. Some funky things might happen between now and Aug. 1.
Maybe the Rangers are interested in relief pitching from the Brewers and not carching.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder may not be the biggest problem currently, but he is the problem that will be the hardest to fix and the most long lasting problem.

Generally speaking, the mid-season trade deadline is used to address immediate needs. Since the Rangers are in a "win-it-all" position right now, I'm 100% OK with JD ignoring the long-term problem of Fielder right now in favor of addressing immediate needs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally speaking, the mid-season trade deadline is used to address immediate needs. Since the Rangers are in a "win-it-all" position right now, I'm 100% OK with JD ignoring the long-term problem of Fielder right now in favor of addressing immediate needs.
He is both an immediate problem and a long term one. The only thing that makes him long term is that they will not be willing to address that problem for quite some time. His bat will be a huge problem in the postseason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless we were asking way too much for MM in the off-season, then his trade value is pretty low.
I don't think we tried to trade him in the offseason.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is both an immediate problem and a long term one. The only thing that makes him long term is that they will not be willing to address that problem for quite some time. His bat will be a huge problem in the postseason.

The Rangers need to actually get to the postseason first. And to do that, they need to focus on the several issues that are more pressing than Prince Fielder.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I think we banked on last season's performance and lost.
That and we didn't have anyone in mind to replace him. I don't think going into the offseason that anyone in the organization expected anything from Rua and certainly not from Profar.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers need to actually get to the postseason first. And to do that, they need to focus on the several issues that are more pressing than Prince Fielder.
pitching pitching and PITCHING

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will get there unless the injury situation becomes that of the 2014 Rangers. The other problems are fixable with trades and with guys getting healthy. The Prince problem wI'll still be here in October though. There will be a fix available for the Prince problem in the postseason, but I highly doubt they will avail themselves of it. The fix then would be to leave him off of the playoff roster. I don't think they will do that and it will cost us in the postseason.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Mitch to go asap for the simple reason he has made little contribution and is dead weight holding up progression of Profar / Rua. Prince is such a huge problem he can't be very attractive in the trade world therefore must remain a pain in the butt for now. Now it's up to JD to get some pitching in house and names don't bother me so long as they produce.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still wondering about JD's interest level in one of Pomeranz, Odorizzi, or Santana. Santana could probably be had without giving much up depending on how much salary were willing to pay. I actually wouldn't mind having him as our #4-#5 for the next couple seasons. He'd add some stability to that aspect of the rotation.

As for shedding salary? I think if they keep Profar, Elvis has about 70% odds of being traded. I pray Prince continues his recent uptick through the rest of the season to somewhat recoupe his value so it's not in the red entirely. If I he can, I'd imagine we do our level best to dump him for anything. Well still have to eat salary, but maybe we can dump 9mil/yr. maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Dump enough $$ to make Desmond an offer he can't refuse.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dump enough $$ to make Desmond an offer he can't refuse.
Mitch is gone this year and that would be $2,950,000 of it. Not nearly going to be enough but it is achievable.