• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Crick seems he may be okay. I've only heard of the top 4 in that list.
Crick is certainly a future major leaguer. The question for him is whether he will be a starter or reliever. He is effectively wild, but he is so wild that his pitch counts get crazy high. He rarely reaches 5 IPs in his starts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crick is certainly a future major leaguer. The question for him is whether he will be a starter or reliever. He is effectively wild, but he is so wild that his pitch counts get crazy high. He rarely reaches 5 IPs in his starts.

I think that is far from certain, given his lack of command. If he can't throw strikes as a SP, why would moving to the bullpen help?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is far from certain, given his lack of command. If he can't throw strikes as a SP, why would moving to the bullpen help?
He has nice peripherals, he just has high pitch counts. In the bullpen, pitch counts are next to immaterial.

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he continues on that route then i see him being a reliever. Now i'm not saying he will be a reliever forever I just think when he comes to the big leagues he will start off as a reliever and hopefully learn and work his way up to being a starter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he continues on that route then i see him being a reliever. Now i'm not saying he will be a reliever forever I just think when he comes to the big leagues he will start off as a reliever and hopefully learn and work his way up to being a starter.
The Giants don't typically work that way, though. He is only 22, so I expect the Giants to continue to work diligently with him to harness his wildness. Relegating him to the bully at this age would be a great waste, both for the Giants, and for him. SPs make a LOT more money over their careers than relievers do.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why are their major league teams whose minor league affiliates are across the country when their are closer teams. Does each minor league team have a contract with their parent team?

I have no idea what kind of control the affiliate has over playing time or even the rosters, though. I have always wondered that myself.

The minor league affiliate is often (but not always) an independent partnership not owned at all by the major league club. The two clubs sign a contract, specifying (among other things) how long the contract will last. For example, the Giants just switched their AAA affiliate from Fresno to Sacramento - the contract was up in both Fresno and Sacramento (with the A's) and the Giants jumped at the chance to have their AAA club be 2 hours closer to SF. The agreement is for 2 years (IIRC). It can (and often is) renewed as the two clubs would prefer to remain together. It so happens that SFG bought a percentage of the SJG (A+) team, so they own a part of it. There are also minor league teams which are completely owned by the major league club, but that situation is a minority.

In the case where the minor club is independent, it is responsible for providing the physical infrastructure for playing baseball (e.g., stadium, playing field in good shape, lights, locker room facilities, electricity, gates, ticket booth, personnel to man and maintain the facility {such as security, ERTs, manager, vendors}, uniforms, etc...). The minor club provides the uniforms, because it is *their* brand - they own the copyright. Notice that the Sac team is still called the Rivercats, and the Fresno team the Grizzlies, even though the affiliation has changed.

The major club provides everything that *the team members* need to play baseball that isn't 'large physical infrastructure' - i.e., supporting the players. This includes all the players, the managers, the coaches, the scouts, instruction, food for the players in the locker room on game days, buses for travel, bats, balls, etc.

So the major team, through it's managers and coaches, decide playing time, roster, DL, etc. The major team also determines roster directly by promoting or demoting players.

I seem to recall that the two teams split gate receipts but that the minor club keeps all the vendor sales. I won't swear to it though, it's a vague recollection.

Last edited:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major club provides everything that *the team members* need to play baseball ...

Maybe a simpler way to say it is that the minor club is responsible for providing a safe place to play, and the major team is responsible for providing the team that will play, as well as its equipment.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those hoping Hector Sanchez would rake in Sacto, first 8 games have been rough:

31 AB, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, 6 K's, .226 AVG, .250 OBP

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adalberto Mejia made his debut last Thursday. 4IP 0 H, 0ER, 1BB 3K.

Scouts said his fastball was 94-91 range with great command to both sides to the plate. Secondary stuff wasn't really there.

As Marco noted earlier, he was suspended for a dietary supplement. Slightly concerning that he believes he needs diet pills to keep his weight down. Hopefully he can get over that hump and stay committed to a training program. He is still very much a talented pitcher, with an excellent fastball and clean mechanics. Not Ace material, but definitely useful 4/3 starter if he puts this behind him.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dietary supplement was outlawed in the US and Canada and many other countries, but not the Caribbean. I really think it was simply a 'brain fart'.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants don't typically work that way, though. He is only 22, so I expect the Giants to continue to work diligently with him to harness his wildness. Relegating him to the bully at this age would be a great waste, both for the Giants, and for him. SPs make a LOT more money over their careers than relievers do.

His problems to me seems to be all mechanical problems. Watch this video of his most recent start, where he walked 6 in 3 IP (and hit a batter and threw a wild pitch):

Inconsistency in his delivery, his landing point, and stride. He's usually falling off the mound towards 1st, instead of straight at the hitter. He also seems very stiff in his front leg, as part of too short of a stride. He swings his legs out, and sometimes lands across his body. Out of the stretch, his mechanics don't look too bad (granted it was one hitter who he walked), but out of the stretch he looks like a mess.

The thing is, if he fixes his mechanics, he could probably gain a few ticks on his fastball. His raw stuff is fantastic, but I don't even think he's using everything he can. His arm action looks pretty good, but not his lower body.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn's Tyler Beede shines in Double-A debut
<br>
<b>MA_Worcester_Telegram</b> <hardreturn>MANCHESTER, N.H. In his Double-A debut Friday night for the Richmond Flying Squirrels, Tyler Beede of Auburn showed why Baseball America ranks him as the No. 2 prospect in the San Francisco Giants farm system.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>With about 200 family members and friends, most of them from Auburn, in the stands, Beede pitched seven innings of two-hit, shutout ball in Richmonds 12-1 victory over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>Beede walked three and struck out four. The 22-year-old right-hander threw 98 pitches, 56 of them strikes.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>In the first inning, Beede showed his athleticism by diving toward third to grab a grounder with his bare hand, then wheeling around and throwing the runner out at first from his knees. The play stood out even more after two singles and walk loaded the bases for the Fisher Cats, but Beede threw a double-play ball to escape the jam. Beede didnt allow another hit.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>In the fourth, Beede threw the ball past first for an error after he picked up a line drive that hit him, but later in the inning he speared a low line drive and threw to first for an inning-ending double play.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>Beede, taken by the Giants with the 14<sup>th</sup> pick of the first round of the 2014 baseball draft out of Vanderbilt, was promoted earlier in the week from Class-A San Jose.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn>For Richmond, Mac Williamson and Engel Beltre hit two-run homers.<br class="hardreturn" />
<hardreturn><em>Contact Bill Doyle at <a href="mailto:[email][email protected][/email]">[email][email protected][/email]</a>. Follow him on Twitter <a href="https://twitter.com/BillDoyle15" target="_blank">@BillDoyle15.</a></em><br class="hardreturn" /> - telegram.com - Worcester, MA

Posted Jun. 5, 2015 at 10:07 PM
Updated Jun 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM

MANCHESTER, N.H. — In his Double-A debut Friday night for the Richmond Flying Squirrels, Tyler Beede of Auburn showed why Baseball America ranks him as the No. 2 prospect in the San Francisco Giants farm system.
With about 200 family members and friends, most of them from Auburn, in the stands, Beede pitched seven innings of two-hit, shutout ball in Richmond’s 12-1 victory over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium.
Beede walked three and struck out four. The 22-year-old right-hander threw 98 pitches, 56 of them strikes.
In the first inning, Beede showed his athleticism by diving toward third to grab a grounder with his bare hand, then wheeling around and throwing the runner out at first from his knees. The play stood out even more after two singles and walk loaded the bases for the Fisher Cats, but Beede threw a double-play ball to escape the jam. Beede didn’t allow another hit.
In the fourth, Beede threw the ball past first for an error after he picked up a line drive that hit him, but later in the inning he speared a low line drive and threw to first for an inning-ending double play.
Beede, taken by the Giants with the 14th pick of the first round of the 2014 baseball draft out of Vanderbilt, was promoted earlier in the week from Class-A San Jose.
For Richmond, Mac Williamson and Engel Beltre hit two-run homers.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen his name mentioned here, and I know nothing about him. We have a guy in Richmond named Joe Biagini. He has started 11 games and pitched 69.1 innings, second only in our minors to Ty Blach, who has 13 starts. Has a 1.56 ERA, and a 3.62 K/BB ratio. Good size - he's 6'4", and 215 lbs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen his name mentioned here, and I know nothing about him. We have a guy in Richmond named Joe Biagini. He has started 11 games and pitched 69.1 innings, second only in our minors to Ty Blach, who has 13 starts. Has a 1.56 ERA, and a 3.62 K/BB ratio. Good size - he's 6'4", and 215 lbs.
Biagini was drafted as a project a few years back. This year he has completely broken out and has become a legit prospect. I have no idea what to expect from him, though. As far as box score-watching prospect hounds know, he just came out of nowhere this season.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any updates on the young'ns?
There may be better ways, and, anyone, if there are please share, but my main source of our minor-league goings on is:

2015 San Francisco Giants Minor League Affiliations | Baseball-Reference.com

It has the up-to-date current year stats for every minor league player, and if you click on a column heading it will sort by that column.

For the batters, I like to sort by OPS, but you can sort by position, by level (Lev), age, anything.

For the pitchers, I like to sort by ERA, but also by starts (to identify starters - duh), WHIP, SO/W, saves, whatever.

You can click on the player's name to get info on them, too.

Last edited:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be better ways, and, anyone, if there are please share, but my main source of our minor-league goings on is:

2015 San Francisco Giants Minor League Affiliations | Baseball-Reference.com

It has the up-to-date current year stats for every minor league player, and if you click on a column heading it will sort by that column.

For the batters, I like to sort by OPS, but you can sort by position, by level (Lev), age, anything.

For the pitchers, I like to sort by ERA, but also by starts (to identify starters - duh), WHIP, SO/W, saves, whatever.

You can click on the player's name to get info on them, too.

If anyone wishes to do a more day-by-day look at our minors, this is an excellent site : When the Giants Come to Town...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wishes to do a more day-by-day look at our minors, this is an excellent site : When the Giants Come to Town...

I should have mentioned that he does a daily "Down on the Farm" post, with results from the previous day's games (all minor levels) and highlights rather good (or rather poor) performances by individuals. He also tends to follow the 'top prospects' and post their results as well.

There are posts on other subjects as well, of course.