• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By most accounts, Suarez is an advanced pitcher. The Giants also do like to test guys by putting them in playoff hunts. This pretty much guarantees that Suarez will start in San Jose next year. If he can keep injures behind him, he'll be a "fast-track" guy.
That is the million-dollar question with this guy, though...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all of the Giants' teams are at or above .500, so they are "winning" teams. They are not, for the most part, playoff teams. Perhaps the Giants see the minors developmentally rather than winning %. So pitchers can learn new pitches, get hit around for a while, and become better pitchers. Hitters can adjust their swing, and flail a lot, but become better hitters. I like the Giants' Way.
Sorry I was not clear. I was just trying to apply a silver-lining to the W-L records of the kiddies this year by commenting on the late promotions. As sfgrtb said, they Giants farm team normally make the playoffs, and I suspect this is at least partially by design to "harden" them for real games.

As for saying they werent "winning", I used the quotes for a reason :)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I was not clear. I was just trying to apply a silver-lining to the W-L records of the kiddies this year by commenting on the late promotions. As sfgrtb said, they Giants farm team normally make the playoffs, and I suspect this is at least partially by design to "harden" them for real games.

As for saying they werent "winning", I used the quotes for a reason :)

:dunce:

Who? Me?!?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that since none of the kiddie-teams are in playoff hunts, they are making these late moves (as LHG mentioned).

Definitely a benefit of not having "winning" teams.
Didn't expect these moves to happen. Glad they did. I would have liked to see Mark Reyes move up, but now I'm just kibbling.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late but I just thought of it...

Just missed (in no order): Phil Bickford, Jalen Miller, Mac Marshall, Johneshwy Fargas, Kelby Tomlinson, Chris Stratton, Ty Blach, Okert/Osich/Hall/

7) Kelby Tomlinson - Matt Duffy 2.0. A 12th rounder in 2011, Tomlinson is a nose-to-the-grindstone player that the Giants have fallen in love with over the last few years. He likely being groomed for either a trade or to take over the Util1 spot in SF next year. He has + to ++ speed (49 SB in 2014) that is VERY important to have on the bench in the playoffs, but he has solid extra base power (.818 OPS) which could allow him to start ALA Matt Duffy, though he will need the opportunity on a team that is willing to let a guy with zero pedigree take the job for a while. I am not sure if he has the arm for 3B (ignorance, not rating) as he has primarily been a SS/2B in his professional career.

Both sfgrtb and myself included KT in our mid-season prospect recaps...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says a lot about Kelby. He was relevant for a year or so (mainly because the Giants middle infield depth was terrible), then fell off the map.

Worked hard, took in his coaching, changed his swing, and he's back in the conversation, and eventually in the bigs.

Also, this makes me think about Gary Brown. The Giants clearly have a philosophy that works, and they have very hands-on coaches who aren't afraid to make drastic changes to guy's mechanics. Kelby listened, and look where he is now. Brown refused to make changes, and look where he is now.

Not saying the Giants have the answer every time for everyone, and that it's a direct path to success, but being coachable is huge.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you could say that the posters on this board that aren't "coachable" get "designated for assignment"?
No. They just just declared Ass Hats...