• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Los Angeles Lakers

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three games away and one at home. The home game ought to be an emotion-fest.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. Just too much failure-to-promises ratio that is garnering all this negativity now reaching fever pitch. I suspect, the Lakers are quietly exploring their HC options and I'd like to believe Luke and Thibs are in their conversation.

Yeah, I was on board with the hire when they brought him in and I would like to have seen him with the current roster, but not having to deal with the Kobe farewell tour. However, that didn't happen and it was up to him to figure out a way to make it all work so that we saw measurable improvement.

They have improved offensively. The problem with that is that, for the most part, talented NBA players are going to improve offensively on their own. They also improved offensively as a team as far as moving the ball, etc. But again, that could just be the natural progression of learning each others games. There just isn't really a way to tie that directly to Byron's coaching. It's not as if he came up with some innovative offensive system.

Defense is where he was going to "hang his hat" and it's been terrible all season. There appears to be little or no talking on defense (which is a must) and they get lost too easily when teams start moving the ball. The players all say that they talk about and work on defense everyday. Assuming that's true, something isn't translating and that falls on the coach.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the youngsters and Roy Hibbert aspire to the Don Coryell philosophy TJF12. That being: To hell with defense, we will just out-score you. That hasn't happened either. Thus, B. Scott is going to be goneso sooner rather than later.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the youngsters and Roy Hibbert aspire to the Don Coryell philosophy TJF12. That being: To hell with defense, we will just out-score you. That hasn't happened either. Thus, B. Scott is going to be goneso sooner rather than later.

Yeah, it sure looks that way at times (okay, most of the time). I don't blame Hibbert too much. He isn't the quickest or most athletic guy and opponents were driving in unchecked from the perimeter. At times, opponents were coming at him so fast, he looked like a revolving door trying to stop them.

If the Lakers even played slightly below average defense, they would have more wins (although they probably would have lost any chance at keeping their draft pick).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I understand the Lakers are in full tank mode TJF12. The top-three draft pick this year is more important than playing defense and winning. I believe the Lakers rebuild won't really progress until the Nash and Dwightmare transactions are finally off the books which is 2018.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I understand the Lakers are in full tank mode TJF12. The top-three draft pick this year is more important than playing defense and winning. I believe the Lakers rebuild won't really progress until the Nash and Dwightmare transactions are finally off the books which is 2018.

I don't know about 2018. They already have some nice players to build with in Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance Jr. I know Byron liked Anthony Brown too and was disappointed when he had to shut it down for the season as he had intended to play him.

If they manage to keep the top 3 pick, that's adds another nice piece. Then it's just a matter of seeing who they can get in FA. If they fire Byron right away, bring in someone like Luke or Thibs, that, combined with Kobe coming off the books should help them to be more attractive to FA's.

Heck, even if they keep Byron and can figure out a palatable way to convince FA's to play for him, they'll be fine (although I really don't know what they could say to convince anyone now). The biggest thing that 2018 will do for them is they won't have to be going through this stuff of having to be really, really bad just to keep their pick. They could also look at using future picks in trades as well if they want to.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Phoenix win tonight lakers locked up the 2nd worst record and 55 % chance of keeping top 3 pick.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want to join me in a little scheme to break into the NBA offices and add a little weight to the Lakers ping pong balls? :plotting:
I am in. I have a great feeling about May 19!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw that on the main page. Very interesting indeed. If Phil really wants to come back to LA, I wonder if he and Jeanie work together to make Jim go sit in the corner and for Phil to force his way out of his contract with the Knicks?

If they could somehow pull that off before the start of FA (highly doubtful), it could really improve the Lakers attractiveness to FA's.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. I think the Phil and Jeanie would force short Buss out and that would be the end of it-I think.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. I think the Phil and Jeanie would force short Buss out and that would be the end of it-I think.

Call me crazy, but honestly, if the only thing the Lakers accomplish in the off-season is somehow getting Phil back in the fold. I will consider it a successful off-season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil has done a pretty poor job in NY (at best its between middling to hohum). His best move, drafting Porzingis, is a move he mostly lucked into (and he wasn't even attending draft combines). He chose Fish to be his HC and wildly overpaid him and is now lobbying for Rambis, one of the worst HCs in NBA history, to get the full time job. I think he's showing pretty clearly he's not cut out for being a GM. Him being in the Lakers front office is a dangerous path to go down.

Plus, if Jeanie has any kind of business sense at all, she should know better. Don't mix business with personal relationships.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil has done a pretty poor job in NY (at best its between middling to hohum). His best move, drafting Porzingis, is a move he mostly lucked into (and he wasn't even attending draft combines). He chose Fish to be his HC and wildly overpaid him and is now lobbying for Rambis, one of the worst HCs in NBA history, to get the full time job. I think he's showing pretty clearly he's not cut out for being a GM. Him being in the Lakers front office is a dangerous path to go down.

Plus, if Jeanie has any kind of business sense at all, she should know better. Don't mix business with personal relationships.

I just wonder how much Phil's lackluster performance in New York has to do with Dolan being an idiot. When Phil was hired, the consensus was that it would be a great hire if Dolan would take the Dr. Buss approach of staying the hell out of the way and letting him do his job. If not, it would go sour fairly quickly. Rumor has it that it has soured pretty quickly.

One can only assume that if Phil returned to the Lakers, it would mean that Jim has been made to go sit in the corner. He was the only one that seemed to have an issue with Phil.

I would assume that if Phil returns, he will step into Jim's role with Mitch remaining as GM. If that's the case, I think it could work really well. Mitch is a well respected GM and I don't know of any bad blood between him and Phil, so I assume they can work well together. Plus, Phil is a big name to have in the room when courting FA's.

Best case, Phil returns, Jim is removed or marginalized and the Lakers return to the top of the NBA fairly quickly.

Worst case, Phil returns, Jim is removed or marginalized and the Lakers don't return to the top of the NBA fairly quickly.

Either way, Jim is removed and that's a good thing, right?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, two bigs that work well together in the past would do wonders for the Lakers with SHORT Buss out of the way. Plus Phil and Jeanie would be much happier as she would have him close by which most women seem to want.