• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Roster

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seattle drafted 9 guys and brought in 9 UDFA's as well as a couple of others in the off season?

They lost 9 I believe in free agency?

How many open spots to they really have on the 53 man roster and how many of the guys they just brought in will even have holes to fill?

Assuming we can keep 8 or 9 of the 18 which ones will stick? I know we can also send others packing and keep more of these if we like so put in your best guess about how many of these 18 actually stay after the final cut to 53.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson/Norwood combined fill the hole Tate left. Richardson I feel is a bit more contingency factor for Harvin but no doubt his explosion and route running is better than Tate (not the reliability, proven, or YAC ability though). Norwood is just a much more COMPLETE WR than Tate. Again lacks the YAC and big play ability (that Tate/Richardson both have) but will prob. be more consistent and not disappear.

Marsh is a long term solution for Bennett/Clemons. We didn't lose Bennett and there's zero replacing of Clemons but Clemons was a shell of himself this last year. Not too concerned.

Williams (last year) fills in for Bryant. He just does. Both are run stuffing and Williams will do what Bryant did. Bryant was a cog in this D and paid for his leadership abilities but he was no longer needed.

Britt filling in for Giac? I don't see it but whatever, the need was drafted.

Thurmond whatever. Lane/Simon/whatever else we picked up. Thurmond was luxury WHEN HE WAS ON THE FIELD. Not upset about Thurmond leaving whatsoever and he's an issue away from an 8 game to year suspension.

Fail to see what else we lost as significant or any worry.

Overall this team is in about the same position it was last year, but not sure why that's a problem. The 49ers failed to do really anything but acquire depth (outside of Stevie who has the same prob. as Harvin - health) and the Rams did nothing to improve an incompetent O. Oh please, Robinson. Watkins would have made me lose it. Robinson? He's a contingency factor for Long or SLIGHT upgrade for Barksdale (RT anyway and a rook).

Cards now have a money hungry CB so it's a toss up on the secondary and they reached everywhere else.

Everyone stayed pretty net neutral in the NFC West with the Rams improving but still no offense and it could've been SO much worse (Watkins, top 15 Bills pick next year, better 2nd/3rd round). Cards get Cooper back and they also got Valdheer to improve the line so I'll give them a nod. But Seattle was also playing injured on OL all year and we get Carpenter (fingers crossed) and Harvin back so that's a wash.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With exception of QB there are probably 1-2 spots open in each position group. WR should be interesting. I think they keep 6 guys with Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson and Norwood being almost certain and guys like Rice, Lockette and maybe Matthews fighting for the last spot.

I could see a battle between Jeffcoat and Mayowa potentially for the last LEO depth spot. I think the defensive competition will be interesting as a whole. A group of guys coming back from injury like Scruggs, Jesse Williams, Tharold Simon and Korey Toomer will be battling the new group of guys like Coyle, Eric Pinkins, Dion Bailey and Jimmy Staten, etc..

The 53 man roster as a whole may not be as strong as last year but I think the 90 man roster we have now will be pretty competitive in terms of roster spots. It will be tough to ever see anything as strong as last year. It was the perfect blend of youth, talent and cheap contracts.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com shows we have 75 players at this time. That does include all draft picks and UDFA's signed.

It does also include Mike Robinson and Mike Morgan, both of which are not under contract.

If that list is true and complete that would mean they have to cut down 13 by opening day?

To me this exercise is nearly as futile as guessing who they will draft. We know this team isn't afraid of projects or of making the decision to keep UDFA's over even veteran talent. I don't think it will just be all but 5 of the guys coming in now that will be gone. Some of those extras they already picked up and maybe even some practice squad or other guys will get cut.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/statuses/467462251012583424

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we dropped off at all from last season golden tate is overrated there was only 1 game last season where he managed over 100 yards receiving he caught for like 88 yards the entire playoffs and superbowl dont get me wrong he brings an attitude to the field and he makes some cool plays once in a while but he isnt that good and is grossly over paid in Detroit.

Clemons i think has some good moves left but with his age and coming off that injury he can only get worse from here but i think he can still have an 8 sack season with the jaguars but its downhill from there

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks announce today that they have signed 4th round pick DE Cassius Marsh to his rookie contract.

They have also signed TE Rashaun Allen and OL Nate Isles out of the rookie camp. They have cut TE Travis Beckum and CB Jimmy Legree to make the room.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all of the rookie camp and roster moves I'm not sure if I'm any more confident that they can get substantial improvement this year at pass protecting on the line nor that they have enough to improve their depth in the secondary. Jury is out on their depth on the D line, especially at that Leo spot.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all of the rookie camp and roster moves I'm not sure if I'm any more confident that they can get substantial improvement this year at pass protecting on the line nor that they have enough to improve their depth in the secondary. Jury is out on their depth on the D line, especially at that Leo spot.

I'm with you with the pass protection, that worries me As far as the secondary goes, I think they have CB covered with guys like Tharold Simon, theirs another whos name escape me that looks to be good. Safety could be a depth issue and so could depth on the DL.

Mostly I worry about the OL, just protect RW, can't afford to lose that guy due to shitty OL.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my take on our team's off season acquisitions and losses and the team's state heading into the upcoming season

Last year our defense was historically great. We had unbelievable depth, incredible luck with health, and top of the line talent. We also led the nfl in scoring and yards. So statistically could we take a step down? Of course, cause it's hard ti repeat those historical numbers defensively. But that doesn't mean that our defense won't still be great and dominant.

And whatever slight step down our defense takes, our offense will more than compensate for with our new wr core.

People forget that we are essentially adding Percy Harvin to the team. That's bigger than any move that could've been made this off season. Add Richardson and a year more mature Doug Baldwin with maybe Norwood or a healthy Rice...we could be explosive next year. Also don't forget Luke Willson. He looks like he is on the verge of becoming a reliable big weapon for Russell

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way OL was addressed in the draft it leads me to believe they have a lot of confidence in guys like Bowie and Bailey to play major roles. Also hopeful that Carp is finally in decent playing shape.

I think its important to keep in mind that Unger and Okung were both banged up pretty much all of last year. Having those two healthy will improve our line greatly by itself.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Justin is digging his new gig.

https://twitter.com/JustinBritt68/statuses/468619896557813760

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round pick WR Paul Richardson just announced he's signed his rookie deal with the Seahawks.

Got to love the new CBA when it comes to the rookie salary cap. These deals are getting done in record time. No more holdouts going into preseason and regular season. No "diva premium" demands for the contracts. Nice to see it working as designed.

:suds:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many solid points.
I don't think we drop off from last year aside from any injuries.
Carp is playing for his career this year. I like Sweezy and think he has been a very good 3 year project and I expect him to have his best year. I believe the RT spot will not regress from last year's production whether Britt or Bowie or anyone else wins that spot.
We lost Tate, but Percy, Richardson, and Norwood will more than offset Tate. Improvement @WR.
There will be a slew of guys competing for Reds, Clem's, and even McDonalds reps.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round pick OT/OG Justin Britt has signed his rookie contract with the Seahawks. Good to go.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th round pick OT Garrett Scott has signed his rookie contract. 7 out of our 9 picks are now signed.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have signed UDFA OT A.J. Harmon who played part of his college ball at Georgia. He was one of those who were invited to the rookie camp last week for a tryout.

This was done most likely because 6th round OT Garrett Scott was unable to pass his physical. It's been discovered that he has a rare heart condition and could not be cleared to play during the rookie camp.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm curious about what new Seahawk you guys are the most excited. The roster looks pretty close to last year's roster, but what new player gives you the most hope?

I'm mostly concerned about Percy Harvin for obvious reasons, but he technically isn't new.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the draft and I think we got tremendous value in the 4th round.

That being said, I'm very excited to see Harvin back to 100% and ready for a full season of work. Then you add Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood to the mix. Norwood looked really good in the rookie camp.

Adding Harvin, Richardson, and Norwood to our WR corps, I think we be a tremendous boost to our passing game. It will take pressure off of BeastMode. I think we had to depend on him too much last year. Sure he's BeastMode and still in his prime, but I'm looking forward to a more balanced pass/run offense in 2014. This also will take pressure off our run protection and make our offense less predictable.

But if as a rookie, Justin Britt can add depth to the RT spot, mission accomplished on that as well. Less RW having to run all over the place trying to make something happen and less penalties related to the right side protection as well.

We drafted WR Chris Harper in the 4th last year, and he didn't end up making the team or PS. I'd really like to see Norwood make it as it will be great to have another big body WO able to lineup opposite Kearse at times. Rice coming back healthy and ready is something I still consider a longshot, especially the first half the season. The guy has serious knee issues and now an ACL repair. He's great when healthy, but for 2014, got to go forward like he won't be available.