• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 NFL Combine

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clinton-Dix looks real good today from what I can see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clinton-Dix looks real good today from what I can see.

He definitely helped put his name in there for first safety taken off the board. Pryor had been inching ahead of him here lately but Clinton-Dix made sure his name is at the top once again. Especially teams are going to love his height/speed combination.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really liked the comments about the untapped market for trainers to come in especially during the off season and work with these guys on technique as there just isn't much available to them. Hopefully some of these veteran players can step up in this area and get something going kind of like Fitzgerald has done for receivers.

From the little I've seen over the years, the problem with that is that not many players are really good teachers like a lot of these assistants/trainers are. Many have trouble communicating and getting across their points in a way a teacher needs to do in order to really help somebody.

This is a HUGE problem I see when people suggest the 49ers need to hire Jerry Rice or at least bring him in to work with receivers. He's ALWAYS seemed about as far from a quality teacher/coach that I've seen. I could think of a number of semi realistic names I'd rather have on board in that role than him.

Fitzgerald actually is one of the better suggestions, though.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kyle Fuller is getting by on athletic ability today but once again is really tight and high in a lot of his transitions. That's just him in a small nutshell.

Desir looks pretty OK-good today.

Phillip Gaines has been a standout from what I can tell, too. Pretty fluid. Put somebody out there for him to hit, tackle, and get physical with, however, and he'd probably disappoint a lot of newcomers IMO.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the little I've seen over the years, the problem with that is that not many players are really good teachers like a lot of these assistants/trainers are. Many have trouble communicating and getting across their points in a way a teacher needs to do in order to really help somebody.

This is a HUGE problem I see when people suggest the 49ers need to hire Jerry Rice or at least bring him in to work with receivers. He's ALWAYS seemed about as far from a quality teacher/coach that I've seen. I could think of a number of semi realistic names I'd rather have on board in that role than him.

Fitzgerald actually is one of the better suggestions, though.

Oh I agree not many players actually make that great of coaches. There are only a handful of guys I would say will make quality coaches if they decide to go that way. I would say the best way to go would be to bring in some different trainers (not hired by the NFL since that is a violation of the rules although with all of the injuries and such maybe the NFL should allow some trainers/assistants to help during the off season so these guys can be trained how to tackle under control and use proper technique so guys aren't having their legs taken out from under them). The veterans could organize it but like Fitzgerald's camp he puts on I think he brings in trainers to work with players instead of him having to do all the teaching.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Fuller is getting by on athletic ability today but once again is really tight and high in a lot of his transitions.

Desir looks pretty OK-good today.

Phillip Gaines has been a standout from what I can tell, too. Pretty fluid. Put somebody out there for him to hit, tackle, and get physical with, however, and he'd probably disappoint a lot of newcomers IMO.

Yeah noticed that with Fuller that sometimes especially in his back pedal he gets up high slowing him down and making transitions a bit tougher. Technique issue that with a little work I think he can fix.

Desir has impressed me for how big he is that he is moving so fluid.

Gaines like you said is one of those Combine standouts that will get overdrafted by somebody but will ultimately be disappointed realizing he really isn't that great of a football player compared to his physical skills.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I agree not many players actually make that great of coaches. There are only a handful of guys I would say will make quality coaches if they decide to go that way. I would say the best way to go would be to bring in some different trainers (not hired by the NFL since that is a violation of the rules although with all of the injuries and such maybe the NFL should allow some trainers/assistants to help during the off season so these guys can be trained how to tackle under control and use proper technique so guys aren't having their legs taken out from under them). The veterans could organize it but like Fitzgerald's camp he puts on I think he brings in trainers to work with players instead of him having to do all the teaching.

Fitzgerald actually has one of the better player camps/player sessions I've ever seen. He does good work and puts in a lot of time for it and players swear by him.

Obviously the Manning's work with young players is high up there. Drew Brees' sessions are supposedly ridiculous, too.

I wish Trent Dilfer would work more with NFL players (not just QBs) but he's ridiculously good with youth and could be just as valuable doing that.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quite a few more drops by the DBs than usual IMO. Some coaches/people couldn't care any less about that, others put some value into it.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ha. Desir was making sure every DB who was on the losing team in the drop contest got down to do their 20 push-ups.

Every year at the end of each DB group they split each group into two teams where each player has to backpedal and then transition out and drive and make a catch. The team with the most drops has to do 20 push-ups.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fitzgerald actually has one of the better player camps/player sessions I've ever seen. He does good work and puts in a lot of time for it and players swear by him.

Obviously the Manning's work with young players is high up there. Drew Brees' sessions are supposedly ridiculous, too.

I wish Trent Dilfer would work more with NFL players (not just QBs) but he's ridiculously good with youth and could be just as valuable doing that.

Who would you consider to be a good coach (ex-player or current) on the secondary side?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow! A Combine trainer was just caught on camera picking his nose like a 6-year old would do. Let's just say it wasn't a Jerry Seinfeld style pick either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say an ex-player that I think could be a good coach is Brian Dawkins. He is a very gifted speaker and young players everywhere he went looked up to him. Very intelligent player of all aspects of the game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roby with a 4.40 and a 1.47 split AND he had a major dip forward in the first 10 because he was trying to explode out of his stance.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which of those two numbers do you find to be the more important ChrisPozz? To me the 10 yard split means so much more since the game is played so much in that 10 yard area and having that explosion in that short area can make up for getting caught out of position.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz can you confirm if Ladler was drunk running his forties? Wow he just killed himself. He couldn't even run a straight line and then did a front roll on the ground after he was done haha!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 4m

Keith McGill second "unofficial" forty: 4.44. 10 yd of 1.63

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 7m

Lamarcus Joyner runs unofficial 40s of 4.52 and 4.53. Mayock said he thought he'd be faster.

@JoshNorris
Jaylen Watkins first "unofficial" forty: 4.50. 10 yd of 1.50
Jason Verrett first "unofficial" forty: 4.41. 10 yd of 1.50
Marcus Roberson first "unofficial" forty: 4.66. 10 yd of 1.56
Loucheiz Purifoy first "unofficial" forty: 4.55. 10 yd of 1.58
Calvin Pryor first "unofficial" forty: 4.62. 10 yd of 1.59