• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 NCAA Season / 2015 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Time to put Amari Cooper under the microscope.

Mr. Cooper has given downright pathetic effort blocking. I've seen this phenomenon pretty consistently. Here are a few examples:

Top of the screen:
jy5y3r.gif

Bottom of the screen:
4692tb.gif

Bottom of screen (not even looking at his guy):
mldyrq.gif

I've also seen him drop a lot of balls when the defender had no contact with him. A lot of balls. I don't know what the deal is with that because he seems like he usually has very good hands; he's just dropped some VERY easy passes.

That said, Cooper has the size & speed / big-play ability to be a very good receiver at the next level. And apparently he was playing hurt a lot of last season; and he came on extremely strong at the end of the season when he was healthy.

Cooper's route running is phenomenal. One of the best I've seen at running exactly what appears to be the design I've seen in a while IMO. Cooper isn't extremely consistent in his cuts and effort IMO, and it'll be interesting to see if he's matured in those areas this season. Sometimes his cuts are sharp; other times they're slow. Again, this may have been his injury manifesting itself.

Overall, Cooper is probably the best receiver in CFB right now, and he's the 2nd-most talented draft-eligible behind DGB IMO. But the lapses in effort need to be answered this season in order for me to think he's a Watkins-caliber prospect (or better).

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So does anyone else think that Marcus Mariota is Kaepernick 2.0 w/ a bit less arm strength & a quicker release?

They even look alike when they run.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to put Amari Cooper under the microscope.

Mr. Cooper has given downright pathetic effort blocking. I've seen this phenomenon pretty consistently. Here are a few examples:

Top of the screen:
jy5y3r.gif

Bottom of the screen:
4692tb.gif

Bottom of screen (not even looking at his guy):
mldyrq.gif

I think you are being a little hard on Cooper based on these 3 clips. The first clip Cooper didn't really attempt to block at all everything was bad in that first clip. But clips 2 and 3 weren't as bad IMO. In clip 2 the OL already engaged in the block and Cooper's responsibility was probably to seal the outside and if that was his responsibility then he succeeded. Clip 3 he did see his block just the defender hit him in the facemask and turned his head which if you never have had it done to you is not a something I would recommend doing in your leisure time.

All in all if Cooper can just slow down a would be tackler in the run game that would be great. He doesn't have to develop into a Hines Ward type of blocker since he does the things you mentioned so well. I do agree he is the 2nd best WR prospect after DGB but it is likely Cooper will be drafted in the top 10 in next years draft where some people may take DGB off their big boards entirely :hope: due to his character concerns.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think you are being a little hard on Cooper based on these 3 clips. The first clip Cooper didn't really attempt to block at all everything was bad in that first clip. But clips 2 and 3 weren't as bad IMO.

I REALLY disagree with that. #2 was the worst one. Cooper could have taken on the guy who made the stop; but he lazily took on the guy who was already being blocked and did nothing. It's not a matter of what would've happened; it's a matter of his lack of effort and instincts blocking.

In #3, he was at least attempting to block, but it was an example of how he's simply not very good at it. His head was even turned the wrong way. All he had to do was face up with his man & get in the way, but he didn't even do that. And I saw a lot of this when I was watching him.

I think we're on the same page w/ the rest of his play though (especially his route running, which is amazing). My biggest question is his toughness & nastiness, but he has a year to show that it was the injury & not his will that was the problem last season.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I REALLY disagree with that. #2 was the worst one. Cooper could have taken on the guy who made the stop; but he lazily took on the guy who was already being blocked and did nothing. It's not a matter of what would've happened; it's a matter of his lack of effort and instincts blocking.

In #3, he was at least attempting to block, but it was an example of how he's simply not very good at it. His head was even turned the wrong way. All he had to do was face up with his man & get in the way, but he didn't even do that. And I saw a lot of this when I was watching him.

I think we're on the same page w/ the rest of his play though (especially his route running, which is amazing). My biggest question is his toughness & nastiness, but he has a year to show that it was the injury & not his will that was the problem last season.

To me clip 2 is on the OLmen he should have went inside out and blocked 34 and let Cooper block 24 and the RB should have had a gaping hole to run through but it is what it is. I see Cooper run blocking in the same way you think Lemonade should start over Brooks. I will take him being mediocre in run blocking due to the immediate and significant upgrade he will bring to the passing game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To me clip 2 is on the OLmen he should have went inside out and blocked 34 and let Cooper block 24 and the RB should have had a gaping hole to run through but it is what it is.

The OL did its job on that one. It was a 3 yard run, and I think the defense was off sides. But I'm not concerned with the play itself; I'm concerned with the fact that Cooper could have blocked a couple of different guys, but he decided to pat a guy who was already being blocked on the back instead. You block until you hear a whistle.

I see Cooper run blocking in the same way you think Lemonade should start over Brooks. I will take him being mediocre in run blocking due to the immediate and significant upgrade he will bring to the passing game.

This I agree with. I love Cooper's ability, but I've still got to be objective about his weaknesses (which are fixable).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After further review, I'm even more convinced Stephon Diggs is overrated. This is a guy who simply does not like contact. That's not going to work in the Niners' offense. He is a TERRIBLE blocker; and that might be putting it nicely. I don't see him as a guy who's gonna fight for balls or for extra yardage; he's gonna try to be cute & get his clock cleaned & a defender's gonna get in his head & he's gonna complain about not getting the ball. I just don't like the way he plays. He has a high floor IMO, and I think he'll be a good receiver, but a #1 guy he is not. No way.

Take Sammy Watkins for contrast. The guy was a burner (significantly faster than Diggs), but he's also a tough SOB. Diggs is more like Brandin Cooks minus the blazing speed; and that's not exactly a rare thing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Nice! Our first draft disagreement of the offseason. :D

Ok, how good do you think Diggs is? Because I think he looks like 2nd-round talent.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Leonard Williams - DL - Trojans

USC junior DL Leonard Williams could be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, according to Phil Steele of ESPN Insider.

Steele loves the Trojans' defense, led by Williams, which he ranks as the second best in the country. It features his No. 6 ranked defensive line, No. 5 linebackers and No. 3 defensive backs. Steele ranks USC as his No. 2 surprise team. "I do not have USC in my top 10 this season, but if the Trojans stay healthy and catch a break or two, all of their games are winnable, as new coach Steve Sarkisian will bring renewed optimism," he wrote.
Source: ESPN Insider

Jun 19 - 1:40 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jaelen Strong - WR - Sun Devils

Arizona State redshirt junior WR Jaelen Strong is a a 1-on-1 downfield and red zone problem for defenses, according to ESPN's Kevin Weidl.

"Big frame, easy adjust and looks to have huge mitts on tape," Weidl wrote. Strong broke out in a big way for the Sun Devils last season, hauling in 75 receptions for 1,122 yards and seven touchdowns as a Second Team All-Pac-12 performer. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound prospect's ideal frame gives fits to smaller corners, and his supreme athleticism makes it difficult for larger safeties to blanket him. He'll be one of the Pac-12's best fantasy performers in 2014.
Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Jun 19 - 1:13 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - DB - Ducks

Oregon senior CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu has "impressive tape," particularly of his performance locking down former Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks last year, according to Kevin Weidl of ESPN.

"Ekpre-Olomu is a clean mover and twitched up," Weidl wrote. "Love his aggressiveness. Hard edge setter vs run and attacks the ball." The analyst also lauded Ekpre-Olomu's high football IQ. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound corner has collected 7 interceptions and 36 breakups over the past two years, with 4 interceptions and 16 pass breakups coming in 2013. Barring disaster, he'll be a first-round pick in 2015.
Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Jun 19 - 12:34 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrus Peat - T - Cardinal

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believes Stanford junior T Andrus Peat is "a future franchise tackle to build around."

"With Peat already displaying a game that's mature beyond his years, the Stanford standout is squarely on the radar of evaluators looking for a future franchise tackle to build around," Brooks wrote. The 6-foot-6, 315-pound junior showed evaluators that he could handle himself against elite rushers in the Pac-12 last season. In his first year as a starter for Stanford, Brooks mentions that Peat "was sensational, mauling defenders at the point of attack on runs and shadowing slippery pass rushers off the edges."
Source: NFL.com

Jun 19 - 7:41 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Tigers

The Oklahoman reports that former Missouri junior WR Dorial Green-Beckham interests the Sooners.

"Sources with knowledge of Green-Beckham’s situation have indicated there’s at least marginal interest in bringing the troubled superstar to Oklahoma," read the report. Green-Beckham's previously was leaning towards transferring to Eastern Illinois in order to retain his 2014 eligibility, but those plans hit a snag for unspecified reasons. If DGB were to sign with Oklahoma, he would be forced to sit out a season. Green-Beckham (6-foot-6, 225 pounds) was dismissed by Mizzou after a burglary investigation and alleged unlawful entry into an apartment searching for his girlfriend. DGB was also previously suspended twice for drug related issues. He comes with a laundry list of off-the-field problems, but the former No. 1 overall recruit also possesses No. 1 overall pick talent.
Source: The Oklahoman

Jun 18 - 8:26 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Johnstone - T - Ducks

Redshirt junior OT Tyler Johnstone "may be the most underrated element of Oregon's success the past two seasons" and is in fact "one of the country's most reliable blockers on the perimeter," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

The 6-foot-6, 283-pounder moves like a tight end but mauls with the best of his OT brethren. "Johnstone offers a rare blend of length, agility and initial quickness which makes him a formidable blindside pass protector," wrote Rang. "He springs out of his stance and latches on to corral speed rushers and is surprisingly effective against bull rushers due to good core strength, balance and technique to maintain leverage. Johnstone's athleticism makes him very effective blocking on the move in Oregon's zone attack, frequently beating opponents at the line of scrimmage or the second level with quickness to turn and seal them from the play." Johnstone isn't just a physical and athletic marvel, however -- he enjoys driving lineman into the second level on run plays. "To continue his success at the next level he'll need to get bigger and stronger ... Johnstone's upside is such that a first round selection is attainable," Rang wrote.
Source: CBS Sports

Jun 19 - 2:45 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota has the "size, speed and passing ability" to earn comparisons to 49ers' QB Colin Kaepernick, writes CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang.

Mariota enters this year as Rang's top-rated pro prospect. "He's overly reliant (at this point) on his first read, occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body and wasn't a year ago when injury sapped him off his maneuverability and he was forced to throw from the pocket," Rang wrote. "These are coachable skills and given that Mariota is often lauded for his intelligence, humility and work ethic, scouts expect growth in these areas in 2014. Mariota has a quick release and flashes deadly accuracy, including when on the move. He has a very strong arm and isn't afraid to make challenging throws through tight windows." The RS junior has posted a 63/10 TD/INT rate, a 65.8 percent completion rate and 1,467 rushing yards over the past two years.

Jun 21 - 8:02 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Duke Johnson - RB - Hurricanes

Miami junior RB Duke Johnson believes his broken ankle is 100-percent healed and added that he has added "15 or so" pounds of muscle this offseason.

Johnson broke his right tibia during the Hurricanes' loss at Florida State on Nov. 2, ending his season. He rushed for 920 yards and scored six touchdowns in the eight games prior to that. NFL.com's Bucky Brooks wrote last month that Johnson is the most talented Miami runner since Frank Gore, calling him pro-ready right now. Johnson has surpassed 100 yards seven times in 20 career appearances.
Source: Associated Press

Jun 21 - 7:07 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - DB - Ducks

Oregon senior CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu might be best suited for nickel work in the NFL.

"Athletic, physical and instinctive, Ekpre-Olomu is a turnover machine," wrote CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound IEO has earned consecutive First-Team All-Pac-12 honors the past two years. "While competitive and alert, Ekpre-Olomu isn't necessarily the shoo-in first round prospect that his hype may lead one to believe," wrote Rang. "He lacks prototype size and relies on vision, timing and hand-eye coordination rather than extraordinary speed or fluidity to shut down opponents. He possesses broad shoulders and a well-built frame, overall and is sound in run-support, traits that could make him one of the country's best all-around cornerbacks but one perhaps best suited to playing the nickel in the NFL."

Jun 21 - 8:15 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Oregon redshirt junior Marcus Mariota has the "size, speed and passing ability" to earn comparisons to 49ers' QB Colin Kaepernick, writes CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang.

Mariota enters this year as Rang's top-rated pro prospect. "He's overly reliant (at this point) on his first read, occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body and wasn't a year ago when injury sapped him off his maneuverability and he was forced to throw from the pocket," Rang wrote. "These are coachable skills and given that Mariota is often lauded for his intelligence, humility and work ethic, scouts expect growth in these areas in 2014. Mariota has a quick release and flashes deadly accuracy, including when on the move. He has a very strong arm and isn't afraid to make challenging throws through tight windows." The RS junior has posted a 63/10 TD/INT rate, a 65.8 percent completion rate and 1,467 rushing yards over the past two years.

Jun 21 - 8:02 PM

not many NFL QB prospects come out of Hawaii high schools. so good for our State too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So does anyone else think that Marcus Mariota is Kaepernick 2.0 w/ a bit less arm strength & a quicker release?

They even look alike when they run.

Guess I was stating the obvious.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hey Clyde, Bingo & I have the first disagreement of the offseason w/ Stephon Diggs. He says he's the 2nd-best draft-eligible WR out there; I say he's overrated & a 2nd-round prospect.

What do you say to break the tie?