• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Fantasy Must Haves?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we can't predict injuries in the future or really predict how players with current injuries will be come the 2014 season (heck we can't even tell what team the will be on). But this is a thread about players that are MUST pick up/Keep (if you are currently in a keeper league) for the 2014 season

"I am just listing off names and not saying per se these are players to have"

QB: Tom Brady (though he is seemingly losing a step)
Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles (hey he's doing alright now, though doubt he can keep it up) --- more joking on this one

WR: Megatron, Julio Jones, etc
TE: Not really sure
Def: Depends upon who is on said team
RB: MJD, Charles

I am waaaay too tired and at work to add people...

SO WHAT SAY YOU?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck you can even add players that will be drafted in 2014 to this list.

I'll be honest as to why I started this list... I want to defend my title in fantasy next year. haha

But I also want to have a good discussion on players we should or possibly should not even consider.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping MJD is a wasted keeper. Guy is obviously slowing, and is a FA this offseason. Very good chance he ends up being someone's backup next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping MJD is a wasted keeper. Guy is obviously slowing, and is a FA this offseason. Very good chance he ends up being someone's backup next year.

Yeah I think so too. I just had his name come into my head as I was writing this thread.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Thomas is a must keeper at TE...I plucked him off of the waivers after week 1.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But there is a better chance that he will go to a team in need for a RB... I agree that he is no longer a first round fantasy draft pick... But i can easily see him be a 2nd rounder, at worst a 4th rounder...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there is a better chance that he will go to a team in need for a RB... I agree that he is no longer a first round fantasy draft pick... But i can easily see him be a 2nd rounder, at worst a 4th rounder...

I guess "wasted keeper" depends entirely on your keeper rules. If you can only keep one or 2, he ain't it. If you lose a 1st or second rounder for your keeper, he ain't it. If you lose the round you drafted him the year prior (or worse, the round above), he ain't it.
But if you're able keep multiple players without any serious penalties, sure why not?
And any team in need of a RB would be better suited to Draft one. Cheaper and at this point in his career, possibly better

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess "wasted keeper" depends entirely on your keeper rules. If you can only keep in or 2, he ain't it. If you lose a 1st or servings rounder for your keeper, he ain't it. If you lose the round you drafted him the year prior (or wise, the round above), he ain't it.
But if you're able keep multiple players without any serious penalties, sure why not?
And any team in need of a RD would be better suited to Draft one. Cheaper and at this point in his career, possibly better

In my league he is not a keeper... but in any league that dictates the minimum amount of keepers that you have to keep, he is not a terrible keeper... In fact i would not even call him a bad keeper...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he hasn't played much but what about Rod Streater?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my league he is not a keeper... but in any league that dictates the minimum amount of keepers that you have to keep, he is not a terrible keeper... In fact i would not even call him a bad keeper...

Well that's a pretty case specific exception to the norm where he most likely isn't one of your better keeper options

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he hasn't played much but what about Rod Streater?

Dynasty perhaps. . Most standard keepers? Doubtful. You'd have to get pretty deep in keepers, or have a very bad team currently, if Streeter is on your radar. I'd rather keep Andre Holmes on a big gamble, or D. Moore than Streeter

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's a pretty case specific exception to the norm where he most likely isn't one of your better keeper options

How do keeper leagues usually work...

I know mine(which i dont like) says that you can not keep anyone picked in the first 3 rounds or any free agent pick... If the player was pciked in the 4th round he is a 4th round keeper...

I heard many leagues on this thread go that you can keep whoever you want but they count as your first few round picks- so if you keep 3 players that is your first second and third round picks... In leagues like that i dont see MJD to be a bad keeper...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dynasty league is a little different. Any player drafted after the first three rounds or picked up off of the wire can be kept. There is no limit to the amount of keepers outside of your roster space allows.

Every team, aside from trades, will have at least one pick in each of the first three rounds. so say I keep 5 players, I would begin losing picks at the end of the draft rather than starting in the 4th round. Make sense?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJD wasnt even kept in my league last year, let alone this year. But that is with a 4 keeper max, and you lose your pick in the round where you drafted that player the previous year.

If you aren't in dynasty, I say let him be someone else's problem.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do keeper leagues usually work...

Lol.. Man, There are virtually no limits to the different types of rules for keepers. But, most that I've played in and that ice come across through message boards like this, are either one or two player keepers. And probably the most often used rules are you lose your 1st rd. pick (and 2nd if 2 players are kept), or, or lose the round they were originally drafted in, possibly a round higher, the year prior. But they can be setup pretty extravagantly with restrictions of all sorts. So just putting a blanket statement on whether a guy is keeper worthy or not, is a stab in the dark a lot of the time.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically the only "safe" way to pinpoint a surefire keeper, are the elite guys at each position, the top 5 RB's, top 3-5 QB's, top 3-5 WR's, and MAYBE the top 2 TE's.
After that you've got to take a look at the league rules, team rosters, league size. .ect..and its a virtual certainty that it'd be different for every league

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically the only "safe" way to pinpoint a surefire keeper, are the elite guys at each position, the top 5 RB's, top 3-5 QB's, top 3-5 WR's, and MAYBE the top 2 TE's.
After that you've got to take a look at the league rules, team rosters, league size. .ect..and its a virtual certainty that it'd be different for every league

DANG, LOL... i REALLY WANT TO WIN MY MONEY LEAGUE AGAIN NEXT YEAR... Guess more research is in order

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I won the money league!

So I want to defend my title next year... Keep this thread alive with suggestions!

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we can't predict injuries in the future or really predict how players with current injuries will be come the 2014 season (heck we can't even tell what team the will be on). But this is a thread about players that are MUST pick up/Keep (if you are currently in a keeper league) for the 2014 season

"I am just listing off names and not saying per se these are players to have"

QB: Tom Brady (though he is seemingly losing a step)
Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles (hey he's doing alright now, though doubt he can keep it up) --- more joking on this one

WR: Megatron, Julio Jones, etc
TE: Not really sure
Def: Depends upon who is on said team

RB: MJD, Charles

I am waaaay too tired and at work to add people...

SO WHAT SAY YOU?

as Treff has stated above there are many many diff type keeper leagues....

so if you want feedback on which players

i suggest you preface the thread with the keeper rules that your league uses....

and as for TE how can you leave out the stud that is Jimmy Graham...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just was starting this thread quickly and no names came to my head...

It's a head to head points league. 12 team league

But I am thinking more along the lines of players I have to pick up/keep