• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft and Ryan Mallett

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKay so here we go teams are already starting to think 2014 draft as some should and of course the Pats need to determine what to do with Mallett. This draft is speculated to be very QB heavy which may or may not benefit the Pats. A lot of teams need a QB, and are going to look to the draft to secure one, the Pats will likely slap a first round tag on Mallett. If the Pats are going to continue their allegiance to Brady no matter what then there is no reason Mallett should stay and I suspect this is going to be a contractual nightmare at some point, how do you all see this goind down?

1. The Pats slap a 1st round marker on him but likely do not get.

2. They get a first for him.

3. He holds out and the Pats have to draft or pick up some QB off the streets.

4. The Pats draft a QB this year.

5. Other explain.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
feels like were running out of time to trade him. maybe they could slap a tender on him and get something for him but it feels like hes gunna walk for nothing. no way he signs here again to backup brady for another 4 years.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay him reasonably. If he refuses this, let him play out his contract, then walk.

Keeping him as a backup has more value than anything but a high first +

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
feels like were running out of time to trade him. maybe they could slap a tender on him and get something for him but it feels like hes gunna walk for nothing. no way he signs here again to backup brady for another 4 years.

I agree I think we are gonna screw the pooch on this one.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKay so here we go teams are already starting to think 2014 draft as some should and of course the Pats need to determine what to do with Mallett. This draft is speculated to be very QB heavy which may or may not benefit the Pats. A lot of teams need a QB, and are going to look to the draft to secure one, the Pats will likely slap a first round tag on Mallett. If the Pats are going to continue their allegiance to Brady no matter what then there is no reason Mallett should stay and I suspect this is going to be a contractual nightmare at some point, how do you all see this goind down?

1. The Pats slap a 1st round marker on him but likely do not get.

2. They get a first for him.

3. He holds out and the Pats have to draft or pick up some QB off the streets.

4. The Pats draft a QB this year.

5. Other explain.

Other: Mallett is signed through 2014

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the only really interested team in the news last year, supposedly wanting Mallet Cleveland right . Rumors were there were some others but Cleveland's name kept appearing. They or no one else is going to give up or 1st or 2nd for Mallet esp since this years class is supposedly filled with Franchise QB's, that is a ?. So it doesn't look good for a high pick esp when Teams want to bring in there own QB and Start them out in there system from day one. If someone wanted Mallet that bad he would be gone already.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the only really interested team in the news last year, supposedly wanting Mallet Cleveland right . Rumors were there were some others but Cleveland's name kept appearing. They or no one else is going to give up or 1st or 2nd for Mallet esp since this years class is supposedly filled with Franchise QB's, that is a ?. So it doesn't look good for a high pick esp when Teams want to bring in there own QB and Start them out in there system from day one. If someone wanted Mallet that bad he would be gone already.

Agreed 100% the fact that this years class is supposed to be QB heavy doesn't bode well for the Pats. I can't see Mallett staying nor can I see the Pats getting a first rounder for him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then keep him as long as possible. Remember a heavy draft in QBs drives his FA value down significantly. He's more keep able that way. Regardless, it has to be a high first rounder (I would reject middle of the round) to be more value than his value as a backup.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then keep him as long as possible. Remember a heavy draft in QBs drives his FA value down significantly. He's more keep able that way. Regardless, it has to be a high first rounder (I would reject middle of the round) to be more value than his value as a backup.

ding ding ding!

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Quarterbacks and Mallett

He is going to get a reasonable extension at some point prior to becoming an unrestricted free agent. As for this years' quarterback draft class, it is quite deep but after watching a lot of college ball this season, I strongly feel that some of these guys are going to be busts.

The college quarterbacks that I do like: Bridgewater, Murray, Carr, Mettenberger

College quarterbacks that I am on the fence on: McCarron, Manziel

Quarterbacks that I am confident are going to be busts: Mariota (yes, I am the first one in America to call him a bust if he declares which I think he is going to do), Boyd, Morris, Fales, Thomas, Hogan

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when I looked at his current contract he does not become an UFA until 2015 so the Pats have him signed through next season. It may be beneficial to wait and see what teams need QBs next season. This being said I think the Pats may sit on him and draft a QB this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the Pats are in a tough spot when it comes to Mallet. This upcoming quarterback class is deep so teams in the bottom tier of the league will most likely pick one of them up and try to build around them. Then after this upcoming season he becomes a Free Agent so unless the Pats extend his contract (which doesn't make sense for Mallet to do that considering some team will offer him a decent size contract when he does become a Free Agent) he might just be gone before the Pats can get any kind of value for him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the Pats are in a tough spot when it comes to Mallet. This upcoming quarterback class is deep so teams in the bottom tier of the league will most likely pick one of them up and try to build around them. Then after this upcoming season he becomes a Free Agent so unless the Pats extend his contract (which doesn't make sense for Mallet to do that considering some team will offer him a decent size contract when he does become a Free Agent) he might just be gone before the Pats can get any kind of value for him.

I offer him a reasonable extension this offseason, assuming they view him as a quality backup/capable of moving into the starting role. 5 year, 15mil, maybe 5 guaranteed? Not enough to match what he may make in free agency, but enough that he has reasonable security to stay here if he chooses to do so. This will allow him to continue to learn from the best and be able to be the favorite to slide into the starting role when Brady retires. When there is no guarantee what interest he will draw and what the situation he will be placed in when he does hit the market (or that he doesn't somehow get hurt and spike his value) this has to be somewhat tempting, although hitting the market clearly is as well.

If he declines, let him play out this contract and walk. I'd rather have him in a backup role for a final year, especially with the youth we have at receiver that could be stunted fairly easily with a Brady injury and poor backup play, than all but a high first, and he's not worth that to anyone else.