• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Cowboys Draft Thread

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get a safety in the 1st.

Solidify the spot next to Church and stop just putting a different guy there every year.

Dix would be a really nice fit beside Church. I like Pryor a lot, but for the Cowboys, Dix would be the way to go

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft sets up really well for Dallas IMO. There are players that might start/contribute for Dallas at multiple positions in multiple rounds for Dallas in this deep draft. If you look at the big needs for Dallas vs who they might take in the first round, there are prospects with very similar upsides projected in round 2 or 3. DT Aaron Donald at 16 would be great, but Anthony Johnson or Will Sutton in the 2nd or 3rd might do just as well. S Dix or Pryor at 16 fills a need, but Jimmie Ward or Marqueston Huff have a big upside as well. An OT like Lewan may fall to 16, but I'd be as happy with Antonio Richardson in the 2nd. And I'm sure Jerry might get a wild hair if Mike Evans or Johnny Manziel fell to 16, but I think that would be crazy with Matthews and Garapollo going later. It will be interesting to see which way Dallas goes in the 1st round, it may well depend on the value they think they can pick up later in the draft at other positions.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft sets up really well for Dallas IMO. There are players that might start/contribute for Dallas at multiple positions in multiple rounds for Dallas in this deep draft. If you look at the big needs for Dallas vs who they might take in the first round, there are prospects with very similar upsides projected in round 2 or 3. DT Aaron Donald at 16 would be great, but Anthony Johnson or Will Sutton in the 2nd or 3rd might do just as well. S Dix or Pryor at 16 fills a need, but Jimmie Ward or Marqueston Huff have a big upside as well. An OT like Lewan may fall to 16, but I'd be as happy with Antonio Richardson in the 2nd. And I'm sure Jerry might get a wild hair if Mike Evans or Johnny Manziel fell to 16, but I think that would be crazy with Matthews and Garapollo going later. It will be interesting to see which way Dallas goes in the 1st round, it may well depend on the value they think they can pick up later in the draft at other positions.

I was really liking this post & even agreeing with it.

Until you started talking QB's

Keep that shit to yourself! :tape2: :heh:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really liking this post & even agreeing with it.

Until you started talking QB's

Keep that shit to yourself! :tape2: :heh:

HaHa, I hear ya Schmpoopy. There's no QB that I would take in the 1st, but If the Cowboys could land Garapollo in the middle of the 2nd round I'd stand up and cheer. I think he will be the best QB in the class and a solid starting QB in a year or two, Tony Romo 2.0. I'd take that in a heartbeat

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be on board for a trade down and then taking shazier. I think he would be a terror as a hybrid linebacker / safety. He reminds me of a larger version of Woodson. The kid is a freak.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see ward being there at 47. I see him as one of the underrated players in this draft. He is a much better playmaker than pryor or dix. The thing about Pryor is he would quickly give receivers alligator arms. He hits like a ton of bricks.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dix would be a really nice fit beside Church. I like Pryor a lot, but for the Cowboys, Dix would be the way to go

I would love to have dix. I just hope Jerry doesn't do his annual reach LOL

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have dix. I just hope Jerry doesn't do his annual reach LOL

????? Maybe my mind is failing but Jerry doesn't have an annual history of reaching in the draft. Fact is he has a history of the opposite by drafting guys who fall due to injury and/or off field issues.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
????? Maybe my mind is failing but Jerry doesn't have an annual history of reaching in the draft. Fact is he has a history of the opposite by drafting guys who fall due to injury and/or off field issues.

There are plenty of examples of both. Jerry has done better the last few years, but after having drafts where his stated philosophy was to ''draft for backups and special teams'' in the mid 90's instead of BPA, that's not saying a lot

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of examples of both. Jerry has done better the last few years, but after having drafts where his stated philosophy was to ''draft for backups and special teams'' in the mid 90's instead of BPA, that's not saying a lot

All GM,s reach occasionally. Most of Jerry's picks through the years haven't been reaches. They were taken where they should have been, they just turned out not to be good NFL players. The last reach I can think of before Frederick was Carpenter.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All GM,s reach occasionally. Most of Jerry's picks through the years haven't been reaches. They were taken where they should have been, they just turned out not to be good NFL players. The last reach I can think of before Frederick was Carpenter.

Are you serious? Most of Jerry's picks were where the should be? Quincy Carter, Bennet, Carpenter, Goodrich, there are numerous others. He reaches more then most GM's

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? Most of Jerry's picks were where the should be? Quincy Carter, Bennet, Carpenter, Goodrich, there are numerous others. He reaches more then most GM's

I already mentioned Carpenter. I'll agree Carter was a reach, but Bennett was drafted where he should have been, the argument is Dallas didn't need him. Goodrich wasn't a reach either. He was considered a 1st round prospect prior to an injury that dropped his stock.

Jerry doesn't reach to often, he takes guys who drop due to injuries. That is his M.O.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta disagree with you on this one Manster. Jerry is king of the reach. Any chance to show how he outsmarted everyone...

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Sims in the fourth round would be a heck of a pick and he would be a nice complement to Murray especially on passing downs. I would love that pick.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with you on this one Manster. Jerry is king of the reach. Any chance to show how he outsmarted everyone...

Agree or disagree. Jerry's normal Draft strategy is taking those who have fallen for one reason or another. If Lewan drops to 16 it will be due to off field character issues, and Jerry will take him. By the way I won't complain it it goes this way.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder if the Cowboys vertical passing game suffered last year because of Romos back? Or did it suffer because opposing defenses knew the Cowboys were not committed to the run? As someone mentioned Lewan. This guy moves extremely well and could be a steal at 16. He would be a major upgrade over Free. The running game would could be best in the NFL if they drafted Lewan and a late round back to replace randle

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish there was some way they could pick up Brandon Thomas and put him on the IL until 2015. if they picked up Trai Turner also we could have a strong OL with them, Frederick & Smith and then add someone to replace Free in 2015