• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Cowboys Draft Thread

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many or even most people do want us to take a QB in this draft just not in the 1st or 2nd round. Some people like myself are kind of neutral on it and would be fine with it either way, but expect the team to do it if the right guy is there later on.

Here is the problem with your comment about "when Romo is done" and not being stuck with those types of guys. First off you named a guy that was picked #2 overall and a guy that was picked in the 2nd round. So remember, using an early pick and getting the player you foresee as being good enough to take over aren't a guarantee - Leaf was a better prospect than Manziel. If we use a late 1st/early 2nd round pick on a player like Manziel and Romo is not done for a few years we could be in a position of losing that player or giving him that big 2nd contract before he ever plays a meaningful down for us. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it wouldn't be the best either and likely wouldn't help this team as much as a 2nd round player at another position would.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with those that are saying he will be here in 16' So drafting his replacement this year would be ridiculous. (early round QB)
Taking a QB in the later rounds is one thing, but an early round isnt gonna happen.

One other thing about Romo. Everyone is assuming he will be done as soon as they could afford to cut him. What if after 16' he is still playing high level of football? They may then draft his replacement, but doesnt mean he is gone.
Either way I think he is guaranteed to be here through the 2016 season. So the erarliest I can see looking to groom a replacement for the starter (backup is a different story) is 2015.

If Manzeil drops to us & there are interests, that is the perfect leverage to trade back IMO.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take Manziel for the Cowboys before the 4th round. After doing a couple of mocks, and seeing a few that Nets did, I am convinced the Cowboys can get three Defensive/OL starters in the first three rounds. If you want a QB, there will be guys like Savage or Murray sitting there in the 4th round. No reason at all to take a boom/bust prospect like Manziel in the first couple of rounds if you are the Cowboys. Besides, I doubt it's relevant, Manziel is likely going top 10

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with those that are saying he will be here in 16' So drafting his replacement this year would be ridiculous. (early round QB)
Taking a QB in the later rounds is one thing, but an early round isnt gonna happen.

One other thing about Romo. Everyone is assuming he will be done as soon as they could afford to cut him. What if after 16' he is still playing high level of football? They may then draft his replacement, but doesnt mean he is gone.
Either way I think he is guaranteed to be here through the 2016 season. So the erarliest I can see looking to groom a replacement for the starter (backup is a different story) is 2015.

If Manzeil drops to us & there are interests, that is the perfect leverage to trade back IMO.

The only way I want to trade back is if someone knocks our socks off with an offer and Manziel dropping to 16 could result in that.

One benefit I see to drafting a QB now (not too early) is to get both a good AND young backup. The ideal situation is your #2 QB can be both your emergency fill in, your future starter and not count too much against your cap. Right now we have Orton who does hurt the cap and is not our future starter. Letting him go for a young kid would be cap friendly, but would it hurt the team in the emergency fill in category? Weeden was a nice signing because of how cheap he was, his experience gives us some protection if Orton retires and the fact that we could cut him tomorrow with no impact if we found someone better.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take Manziel for the Cowboys before the 4th round. After doing a couple of mocks, and seeing a few that Nets did, I am convinced the Cowboys can get three Defensive/OL starters in the first three rounds. If you want a QB, there will be guys like Savage or Murray sitting there in the 4th round. No reason at all to take a boom/bust prospect like Manziel in the first couple of rounds if you are the Cowboys. Besides, I doubt it's relevant, Manziel is likely going top 10

I was thinking Murray would be there for us in the fourth...I'm not so sure now I'm hearing he can go as early as the 2nd :omg:

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being how we have 6 7th round picks, I'll agree that if an injured prospect falls, we take him, place him on IR to groom for next year. Both Brandon Thomas and former Husker Spencer Long (who was injured in October) are in that same boat. Long might actually get to play this year, so he may be a canidate to be put on the PUP list to start the season.
You can never have too many linemen. I'd love using most or all of our 7th's on building depth along the trenches. I'd like a jack of all trades OL like Wesley Johnson (Vandy), either Thomas or Long, an underrated DT like Utah's Tenny Palepoi and take stab at an athletic DT from a small school like Cal Poly's Sullivan Grosz or Liberty's Francis Bah.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Murray would be there for us in the fourth...I'm not so sure now I'm hearing he can go as early as the 2nd :omg:

While I do agree that a lot of these mid round QBs seem to be talked about creeping up the draft board (although talked about by who is the question) we also have to remember that now there are like 8 different QBs being talked about as possible top 2 round guys. Is that really going to happen? If so, maybe we won't get a QB, but that pushes the talent back to everyone else that passes on taking a QB...If all these QBs go, do we end up with a 2nd round talent in the 3rd round? Who knows.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some final thoughts and wishes for the first round. I got Donald at the top of the wish list. If donald is gone I got Lewan. If Lewan gone I stay put and snag Shazier. Shazier would be a beast in this scheme. Lewan is awesome as a run blocker and is also pretty good in pass protection. The tandem of Smith and Lewan would be the best in the NFC east, and one of the better in the nfl. Lewan has the temperment of Erik Williams and would make the right side of the line less gay. I would like to see us draft Lewan and then sign incognito to play guard, those two guys would be in a battle for dirtiest player in the NFL

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority by not being a fan of drafting Lewan. I think he's vastly overrated, as I don't think he is mentally or physically as tough as a few 'rated' behind him. Ditto that sentiment with Barr. I saw my share of him too. I'd rather we take Dix, Shazier, of course Donald and worst case Ford in the first. There are an absurd amount of good WRs that will be available on day two. I would not be opposed to taking one to gain leverage against Dez when his contact is up. Just don't blow our first on a WR.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority by not being a fan of drafting Lewan. I think he's vastly overrated, as I don't think he is mentally or physically as tough as a few 'rated' behind him. Ditto that sentiment with Barr. I saw my share of him too. I'd rather we take Dix, Shazier, of course Donald and worst case Ford in the first. There are an absurd amount of good WRs that will be available on day two. I would not be opposed to taking one to gain leverage against Dez when his contact is up. Just don't blow our first on a WR.

I don't want any part of Donald or Ford in the 1st. I do want defense over offense but if Lewan is the puck at 16 I won't complain. I starting to think Jerry may have finally figured out we need good lines, to contend.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I definitely don't think you are in the minority as not too many on here seem to have any interest in Lewan. Personally I think he would be a great pick. I think he is much closer to the top two tackles than he is the others. I heard a lot of scouts talking about how he was a better prospect than both of the Tackles from last year and they went at the very top of the draft. I see him as about the 6th best player in the draft and would jump at him if he were there at #16. Bookened with him Smith for 6 - 10 years and don't think about Tackle for a long time. Plus, what happens if Smith wants to leave? Or if someone gives him more than the cap will allow us too? It would be great to have a guy in place to step in to that spot.

Don't want any part of Shazier or Ford at #16. I just don't see how either would be the best player available or the player that fills our biggest need year one. I think Ha Ha would be a great addition for our defense and still hope to get him if no one unexpected drops.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want any part of Donald or Ford in the 1st. I do want defense over offense but if Lewan is the puck at 16 I won't complain. I starting to think Jerry may have finally figured out we need good lines, to contend.

Out of curiousity why don't you want any part of Donald? I think he had an exceptional College career and he fills a big need for us. He isn't my first choice, but I think he (like 8 - 10 others) would be a good pick.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiousity why don't you want any part of Donald? I think he had an exceptional College career and he fills a big need for us. He isn't my first choice, but I think he (like 8 - 10 others) would be a good pick.

I don't like his size and think he will wear down too fast. If he was our pick in the second fine, just don't see him as a mid 1st.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like his size and think he will wear down too fast. If he was our pick in the second fine, just don't see him as a mid 1st.

If we ran a different defense I would agree with you. But If he gains 10lbs he is pretty much the perfect size for a 3 tech for us and if Marinelli rotates guys I don't think wearing down will be a problem. His motor probably makes up for his lack of size to some extent. I think you would have him and Melton on the field in the nickel and I think they would rotate on running downs. My concern would be having both him and Melton and making sure they both get enough snaps. Take a look at guys we are considering to play the 1 tech which is more physically demanding like Bass and even Crawford could possibly (I see him at DE personally) end up there and look at their size. It doesn't seem that it would concern the team to have a 3 tech that is his size. He isn't my top pick at #16, but I wouldn't have a problem with taking him there. At this point it seems he may not even be there anyway. I'll give you a crazy one on Donald...I wouldn't be surprised (if we draft him) to see him get some snaps at strong side DE. I wouldn't recommend it full time, but with his quickness I don't see him having any problem playing that spot on occasion.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we ran a different defense I would agree with you. But If he gains 10lbs he is pretty much the perfect size for a 3 tech for us and if Marinelli rotates guys I don't think wearing down will be a problem. His motor probably makes up for his lack of size to some extent. I think you would have him and Melton on the field in the nickel and I think they would rotate on running downs. My concern would be having both him and Melton and making sure they both get enough snaps. Take a look at guys we are considering to play the 1 tech which is more physically demanding like Bass and even Crawford could possibly (I see him at DE personally) end up there and look at their size. It doesn't seem that it would concern the team to have a 3 tech that is his size. He isn't my top pick at #16, but I wouldn't have a problem with taking him there. At this point it seems he may not even be there anyway. I'll give you a crazy one on Donald...I wouldn't be surprised (if we draft him) to see him get some snaps at strong side DE. I wouldn't recommend it full time, but with his quickness I don't see him having any problem playing that spot on occasion.

I could be completely wrong about Donald . For all I know he could be a perennial pro-bowler. Just question him standing up to NFL online men. Plus taller DLmen can take away passing lanes even when they don't get a passrush just by getting hands in the air.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Donald was still being mocked mid to late 2nd and we took him there I'd be fine with the pick, but I wouldn't have thrown a fit if he made it to us in the 2nd and we passed. I acknowledge Donald is a possibility for us in the 1st. If it happens I'll hope I'm wrong on him.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Donald was still being mocked mid to late 2nd and we took him there I'd be fine with the pick, but I wouldn't have thrown a fit if he made it to us in the 2nd and we passed. I acknowledge Donald is a possibility for us in the 1st. If it happens I'll hope I'm wrong on him.

I dunno man..... There's two handfuls of guys I'd like in the 1st...... and wouldn't bitch about the position ....

I think Donald is one of those guys .... Ads insurance at depth at the position. And no pressure ... Melton is there. However I don't see it happening. Just cause of Jerry. The 1st round pick is going to be a starter.....

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get a safety in the 1st.

Solidify the spot next to Church and stop just putting a different guy there every year.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get a safety in the 1st.

Solidify the spot next to Church and stop just putting a different guy there every year.

if they keep calling Church a FS, you may get a safety that replaces Church!