• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 College Football Coaching Changes

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Bryan Harsin- Boise State

My Grade: A-

My Opinion: We definitely did a great job with this hire, we brought in a guy who has strong ties to the program and will run it the way it should, so I'm personally excited about it. Only reason its an A- is that he didn't have the greatest year at Arkansas State.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Dino Babers- Bowling Green

My Grade: A

My Opinion: I was hoping Bowling Green would stay in house on the hire because we had a good thing going, but if we had to go out and hire someone outside the program this is the best hire we could have made. Dino Babers is very good at running the "Baylor offense" and his defenses aren't bad either, he has a lot of defensive talent to work with already, this should lead to some good success.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Chris Creighton- Eastern Michigan

My Grade: B+

My Opinion: I had to look this one up actually. Chris Creighton came from Drake university who I didn't actually know had a football program, I thought they were basketball only, but he has a good coaching record at every stop so this is a great hire for Eastern Michigan, which is a tough place to win at.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put the last two in the same post

Next Grade - Blake Anderson- Arkansas State

My Grade: B+

My opinion: Anderson is a former offensive coordinator with a good offensive mind, pretty much follows in line with the previous hires Arkansas State has made during the best times their program has ever had. Blake Anderson wasn't the biggest name, so perhaps he will stick around for more than a year.

Next Grade- Jeff Monken- Army

My Opinion: Army like the rest of the service academies runs the traditionally runs the triple option offense, so their goal was to find a coach that's good at running it, I think they found the best possible in Jeff Monken, he had a lot of success at Georgia Southern, consistently having them as a contender in the FCS playoffs, along with beating the Florida Gators and also had a lot of success against the 2010 Alabama Crimson Tide defense.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No grade for USC?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Dave Clawson- Wake Forest

My Opinion: Wake Forest needed someone who can build a program, and Clawson is one who can do that, Wake Forest will need to be patient as Clawson usually doesn't have success until he gets his players in there. Overall they made a great hire here.

Would not give him an A. He is 90-80 over his entire HC career. Yes it is a winning record, but BARELY! He was 32-31 at BGSU. He will now have to recruit players to the SMALLEST school in the ACC and compete against Clemson, FSU, and all of the SEC teams. He has not had to do this yet. Hope he has a large stockpile of TUMS.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not give him an A. He is 90-80 over his entire HC career. Yes it is a winning record, but BARELY! He was 32-31 at BGSU. He will now have to recruit players to the SMALLEST school in the ACC and compete against Clemson, FSU, and all of the SEC teams. He has not had to do this yet. Hope he has a large stockpile of TUMS.

At Bowling Green he had to compete with Notre Dame, Cincinnati, and all of the Big Ten schools so I will say he will be used to being low on the totem pole. But at least there is more talent to choose from down south.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At Bowling Green he had to compete with Notre Dame, Cincinnati, and all of the Big Ten schools so I will say he will be used to being low on the totem pole. But at least there is more talent to choose from down south.

He never had to recruit against those schools. The top recruits in the Midwest are not going to BGSU. They are going to ND, OSU, UM, MSU, and so on. Not a MAC school. It will be different for him because now he is in a "power conference" where expectations are a little higher even at Wake Forest.

As far as talent. Even the mid to high 3 stars choose to go to the bigger name schools. That will be an uphill battle Clawson will have to deal with.

Side note BGSU has over 17,700 students between undergrad and Post grads. Wake Forest has 7,432 students between the two.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Grade: Steve Sarkisian - USC

My Grade: B

My Opinion: Steve Sarkisian is a good coach to build a program up, he did a quick turnaround with Washington bringing them from 0-12 to making bowl games, he couldn't really get Washington far above mediocrity though, so that's a concern with USC, he'll probably make them better but will he win the championships that USC expects?
-------
Agree with you assesment. I look at Sark as I do our current coach--Bo Pelini--Good, but will never lead someone like USC back to prominence.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Chris Petersen- Washington

My Grade: A+

My Opinion: Maybe I'm a little biased, but Petersen's one of the best coaches out there, and Washington was one of the few places he would leave Boise for, Washington is very lucky. It's going to be interesting seeing all these good coaches in the Pac-12. Home run hire.
-------
My only hope is Petersen makes a big splash with the Huskies so Nebraska can then turn around and hire him. IMO, he'd be a perfect fit for the Huskers regardless of his potential buyout.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Craig Bohl - Wyoming

My Grade: A+

My Opinion: All I have to say is wow, Wyoming really outdid themselves with this one. Bohl made North Dakota State a FCS powerhouse, that also won a lot of games against FBS opponents. Bohl will definitely be able to raise the profile of Wyoming football, I personally think he could bring them to the top tier of the Mountain West.
-------
I'm not going to comment on all your hires, but I agree with this one. I'm kinda surprised Bohl left. #1 He's not that young. #2 While it's a step up to a FBS level school, it looks like almost a lateral move. If he takes some of his assistants with him, Wyoming could be at the top of the MW.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next Grade: Bryan Harsin- Boise State

My Grade: A-

My Opinion: We definitely did a great job with this hire, we brought in a guy who has strong ties to the program and will run it the way it should, so I'm personally excited about it. Only reason its an A- is that he didn't have the greatest year at Arkansas State.
-------
I'm a big fan of BSU football as they remind me of a bit of Nebraska. Don't know if it should be a "drawback" for the year he had at Arkie State. My bigger concern is the pressure he'll be under to put the program back up to where it was a couple of years ago--he IS young.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
My only hope is Petersen makes a big splash with the Huskies so Nebraska can then turn around and hire him. IMO, he'd be a perfect fit for the Huskers regardless of his potential buyout.

I would be very shocked if he's not here for at least 10 years. This was his one and only dream job, he even told Bellotti that he didn't want the Oregon job for the simple fact he was holding out for UW gig.....

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------

sorry sir he's not leaving there

Washington was his number one job

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

while true, he took over rebuilding jobs everywhere he went, and had his best success once he got his players into the program, with the other jobs he had he then left just as it all was getting good, if he stayed longer at those spots his record would be better.

its going to be a rough start though, he'll likely have a mediocre year this year, followed by next year where he'll begin starting his freshmen and sophomores he recruited this offseason.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while true, he took over rebuilding jobs everywhere he went, and had his best success once he got his players into the program, with the other jobs he had he then left just as it all was getting good, if he stayed longer at those spots his record would be better.

its going to be a rough start though, he'll likely have a mediocre year this year, followed by next year where he'll begin starting his freshmen and sophomores he recruited this offseason.

He is going to have to anyways. Campanaro the best player on offense is gone this year. Whitlock the best player on defense is gone too. The biggest problem he is going to have are the academic requirements at Wake. Also attracting top players is not an easy job at Wake. If Jim Grobe had a hard time doing it after 16 years I think Clawson will have a really hard time the 1st 5 years. Especially with Clemson, FSU, Miami, South Carolina, and UNC poaching most of the good players from the state. H will have to go to FL and then go against EVERY big school in the south. It will be a rough 3 years not just the 1st.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very shocked if he's not here for at least 10 years. This was his one and only dream job, he even told Bellotti that he didn't want the Oregon job for the simple fact he was holding out for UW gig.....
-------
I'll be the first to admit, I'm playing devils advocate. But a couple of points--almost every new hire says "this is my dream job". What else are they supposed to say? Boise is about the same size as Lincoln. Seattle is about 4 times as big. The weather while better in Seattle, Lincoln is about the same as Boise although Boise IS less humid. Whereas the Huskies pretty much had the pick of the recruits say during the Don James era, they now are probably #3 behind both the Oregon schools and Washington State in becoming a recruiting force again as well. Nebraska doesn't have that problem. While Nebraska just expanded its stadium to over 92000 we still sell out every game. Washington cannot match the stadium capacity. CP has had huge success in coaching kids "up". Nebraska is just waiting for a coach like him. Sark used Washington as a stepping stone so it wouldn't be out of the question for CP to do so as well. Finally, whatever Washington is paying CP, Nebraska could easily double it.

I don't doubt CPs sincerity when he says Washington is where he wants to be. But if he does better than the 4-5 schools that are ahead of him in the Pac in his first year or two, there will be bigger programs offering him the world and he's young enough he could move on.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it has began

O'Brien of Penn State is the first to leave for the NFL

Penn State might try for Golden, but I think they end up with Schiano.