• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014-15 Syracuse Discussion

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now, it looks like we may be in for a down year after 5 damn good years. I just wish one of them could've atleast seen the championship even if we didn't win.

However, the team does have potential. If Kaleb Joseph could protect the ball a little more, have Cooney become a consistent 2nd threat behind Rakeem, and Rakeem score consistently and do what he's doing right now all year long, we have potential.

Once we grow into the zone a little more, I think we'll be looking a lot better. As of right now, this team has no idea what they're doing in the zone. With the right coaching, we can become a Sweet 16, maybe an Elite 8 team.

We have Loyola tonight at 7

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a slow offense as usual, but Joseph finally held onto the ball (against Loyola, for whatever that counts) but Cooney still couldn't score as well as he needs too. 1/5 from 3, if he could make one or two more a game that'd help us a lot. We should've done better offensively against a team like Loyola.

Up next is Michigan on Friday, a win in that game would be huge for us early in the season.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good run downs Elijah. Spot on about the last five years. SU's been in the discussion every year.

I'm not as optimistic as you about this year, but have no problem with a down year knowing the number of young players lost to the NBA.

Go Cuse.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Cuse are in trouble. They have absolutely NO perimeter scoring if Trevor Cooney is off and that's been the case so far this season. The youth is for sure showing. NIT bound this season. Hey Tyler and Jerami, how is that decision to enter the NBA draft treating you now? Just like I said, "D" league material.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it certainly would have helped if Ennis and Grant stayed.

We'd be a top 5, national contender right now.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....that's the problem with kids today. Rather than listen to a hall of fame coach, they'd rather listen to a greedy sports agent. Neither player was ready for the NBA. Just like Jonny Flynn, Donte' Green and a few more 'Cuse alumn, their careers will now suffer due to the lack of experience. Chris McCullough better stay put. During Saturday's embarrassing loss to St. Johns at home, I kept hearing NBA scouts this, NBA scouts that by the announcers. The best advice he can get was a direct quote by Shane Battier. "The NBA ain't going no where, enjoy your college experience!"

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win today would be huge, but extremely difficult.

I don't want to rest a season on one game, but with a win March Madness doesn't seem as far away as it has. With a loss, the NIT predictions seem a lot more realistic.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to say....I'm starting to see a change.

The last three games, SU has scored n the 70's. Once McCullough gets his grove back, SU will be putting 70 and 80 on the board every night. They are making freshman mistakes.

But it's getting better.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's getting better, and March Madness is definitely looking more likely.

But, you have to think about it, we can't afford more than 4-5 more regular season losses. A semi-deep conference tournament run would help too, but is that entirely possible? The best case scenario I see..

Jan. 3 at Virginia Tech, noon (RSN) - WIN
Jan. 7 at Georgia Tech, 7 p.m. (ESPNU) - WIN
Jan. 11 vs. Florida State, 8 p.m. (ESPNU) - WIN
Jan. 13 vs. Wake Forest, 8 p.m. (ACCN) - WIN
Jan. 17 at Clemson, 4 p.m. (ACCN) - WIN
Jan. 20 vs. Boston College, 7 p.m. (ESPNU) - WIN
Jan. 24 vs. Miami, 4 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) - TOSS-UP
Jan. 26 at North Carolina, 7 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) - TOSS-UP

Feb. 3 vs. Virginia Tech, 9 p.m. (ESPNU) WIN
Feb. 7 at Pittsburgh, 4 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) WIN
Feb. 11 at Boston College, 7 p.m. (ESPN2) WIN
Feb. 14 vs. Duke, 6 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) - TOSS-UP
Feb. 18 vs. Louisville, 7 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) - TOSS-UP

Feb. 21 vs. Pittsburgh, noon (ACCN) - WIN
Feb. 24 at Notre Dame, 8 p.m. (ACCN) - TOSS-UP
Feb. 28 at Duke (ESPN) - LOSS
March 2 vs. Virginia, 7 p.m. (ESPN or ESPN2) - TOSS-UP
March 7 at N.C. State, noon (CBS) - TOSS-UP

We got extremely lucky with the scheduling this year, getting Louisville, Virginia and Miami at home. But this isn't looking to pretty, if we lose all the games I have marked as toss-ups, that's a 10-8 conference record. If we win half of them, that's 14-4 with more than likely one more surprising loss. This is going to take a lot to pull off

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the NCAA tournament is really required for this team to be successful. Sure it would be nice, but I don't have the faith in Cooney or Christmas (I still feel scorched from last year) to lead this team on a run in the ACC tournament or the dance.

And bowing out in the first weekend...or worse yet, the first game. It's just something I'd rather not see. I do believe RAK, Cooney and the youngins can fair well against an NIT field. I'm hoping to see the younger kids like McCollough, Joseph and Roberson get some more PT in a tournament.

There's talk of redshirting Coleman. Cooney returns. Silent G will return. This will be a talented team all around with a big body at the 5 spot next year.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, I don't know. I still have faith in this year and this team, I feel like they can keep growing into a Sweet 16 team, I don't see any reason why they can't. We're seeing Cooney hit three's now, Gbinije is clearly a talent that we just need to involve more, Joseph is cutting down the turnovers and freshman mistakes, and McCullough and Christmas have been dominating the post. If they all continue to grow, this team I truly think can make a run.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SU @ VT.

FT's. :doh:

Crunch time was a killer for SU. They go 16 of 28 on the day. But only 6 or 14 in the final two minutes.

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the presser after the GA Tech game was a classic for Boeheim, he started it out by saying he "would try to stay as positive as possible". He then sounded like they lost by 20 to a community college team. It was very funny to listen to.

Then, on Friday night, he came up to Fulton HS to watch his kids play. Jim Boeheim Jr is a junior on varsity and his younger son is a freshman on JV. My younger nephew was matched up against JB Jr for most of the 1st 1/2 and didn't get the best of it.

The kid is 6' 3" or taller and buried a couple 3s and played well close to the basket. Jamesville Dewitt (Rautins, both Triches, Dej Coleman) won going away.

Funny seeing Boeheim in sweats and sneakers in a 1/2 empty HS gym. How many will be in the Carrier Dome when Duke comes to town?

Anyway, nice win over Fla St last night.

.....And .... JONVI! What up brother?!

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW ... I figured one of the Boeheim parents would be at that game but I was hoping for Juli though.