• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Virginia Tech Commitment List

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thing about the guys that you mention is this.

Jack Tyler is a PLAYER and whether or not he was a walk on and the guys behind him are 4* players, he will have the inside track on the Mike position when Bruce leaves after this year. he has already proven himself as a playmaker in big time games. He was one of our only shining spots against Stanford, played great down the stretch this year and may have been the player of the game on D against UVA. Don't stargaze too much on that Mike spot. There will be time for the other guys. Tyler is a proven commodity.

Clark was slated to get a lot more time this year and had a great Spring but he got nicked up.

Smiling is only a RS-Soph this coming season at a very shallow position with three graduating starters.

Those three will very much be players for 2-deep slots this coming Spring, (especially if they play with moving Edwards to Whip, which I doubt but who knows)

Agree with this post 100%.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Tyler will likely be starting Mike in 2013.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler is the new Cody Grimm story, for sure, and at a tougher position, IMO.

Remember, Grimm didn't even really start until his senior year. He was a co-starter and situational player when Cam martin was in the Whip spot.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember, Grimm didn't even really start until his senior year. He was a co-starter and situational player when Cam martin was in the Whip spot.

Both came from Oakton High School too.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of yall can suck these Region 1 nuts. :tongue: We all know where the best talent comes from. Look at where the D5 and D6 champions are always from.
:behindsofa:

Just one of the many reasons 757>703

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of yall can suck these Region 1 nuts. :tongue: We all know where the best talent comes from. Look at where the D5 and D6 champions are always from.
:behindsofa:

Just one of the many reasons 757>703

No argument here, as far as football goes. I live in the 540 now, though.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thought you guys might be interested in a Twitter conversation I had this morning with J. C. Shurburtt, the National College Football Recruiting Director for 247Sports. I've found him to be very knowledgeable and approachable.

Start at the bottom...I think you'll know where I'm going with this line of questioning:

TAEdisonHokie TAEdisonHokie
@jcshurburtt Okay...good to hear. Thanks for taking the time this am to respond to my questions!

jcshurburtt JC Shurburtt
@TAEdisonHokie yes in time as we see what kind of college players these guys become.

@jcshurburtt Fair enough. Sounds like you will take a look at the final 247 state rankings for the 2012 Class and compare to others?

jcshurburtt JC Shurburtt
@TAEdisonHokie I don't care about other rankings until down the road when comparisons can be made.

@jcshurburtt How do you deal with a 247 state analyst who is clearly out-of-step with the player-rankings of other recruiting services?

@jcshurburtt Thanks! Answers to your 2 tweets: Thanks for the response on whether or not you reviewed/approved 2012 state player evals.

jcshurburtt JC Shurburtt
@TAEdisonHokie this meaning 2012

jcshurburtt JC Shurburtt
@TAEdisonHokie not in this recruiting cycle- took the position midway through.

@jcshurburtt Question - as the Nat'l CFB Recruiting Director for 247Sports, do you review/approve all 247 state player rankings?

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Tyler is a player and that Clark has solid potential as well. Tyler would not have earned his scholly if he wasn't as good as he's proven. Those 2 guys would no question have been the last from my list if I had to bet on the future.

I also realize that from year to year, for many different reasons, things don't pan out the way we expect them to a year prior. Injuries, unexpected production dropoff from certain guys, and surprise production from lower rated and/or young guys change the depth chart. I certainly expect Tyler and Clark to compete for the starting or back-up spot at their position a year from now, and I hope that's the case. It will be interesting to watch and see. We do know that Beamer, Foster, and Stiney will put the best talent on the field.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clark and Tyler are not going anywhere.

I know a few names that may move on to other places, but I am not going to post them publicly until all is said and done. People can PM me if they want my opinion, though.

Being a newbie here, I haven't learned how to PM yet. And my half-ass computer savviness can't figure it out on my own. How do I PM?

Thanks

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Being a newbie here, I haven't learned how to PM yet. And my half-ass computer savviness can't figure it out on my own. How do I PM?

Thanks

Yep...have to have 50 posts to unlock the PM function.

Quick! Do another 40 posts using this smilie: :postwhore: !!

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech doesn't oversign...ever. Coach Beamer wouldn't stand for it, and Dr. Ballein makes sure it never happens.

Depends upon your definition of oversigning. Does Tech intentionally sign lots of players that they know they aren't going to be able put on scholarship and widdle down the roster post signing day? No

Does Tech sign more players than they have room for, but inform potential prospects they have a good chance at greyshirting/prepping during their recruiting process? Yes

Just depends upon your definition of oversigning. Every school oversigns to a certain extent, because it's hard to hit the scholarship number dead on the head every year. Some schools (like VT and Georgia) are completely upfront about a prospects scholarship standing throughout the process so the kid knows what he's getting into. Others (Bama seems to be the best example) spring the bad news on a kid not long before signing day, and sometimes after signing day, after the kid has already committed (sometimes for months) and after the school realizes they have a chance at a better prospect.

1 way is acceptable and is just how schools manage the tough job at trying to get as close to the 85 scholly limit as they can. The other way is not acceptable IMO. It manipulates the system into making a "farm league" out of pre-season practice, and having fall back guys just incase they miss out on the ones they really want.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is possible for a RB to line up in the slot ya know...:madgrin:

David Wilson did plenty of it in 2010.

If anything, David Wilson is proof that our staff doesn't get special players involved in innovative ways.

Shane came in and the first thing he did is watch film of our offense from 2010. He said that he saw David Wilson only had 15 receptions (dumfounded) in 2010 and that he thought that number should be AT LEAST doubled in 2011. There isn't a single linebacker in the ACC who can guard DW in the slot on a go-route.

Despite this, assistants have very little say in the offense, and David Wilson didn't come close to doubling his receptions. Instead, DW's recieving yards went down from 234 to only 130 in 2011.

This is why it's hilarious when we are told Trey Edumnds will have a special package on offense. I'm sure we will hear about it ALL offseason and then never see it, until after our first loss of the year. Then we will see it and it will be the most predictable draw play ever and we'll never try it again. Don't get your hopes up... haha

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope the way that JC and Caleb have been so vocal about what it means to stay in state will resonate with some of the in state guys for 2013.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we hope it resonates with VA kids that we want. we also hope that kids that dont want us, and consider uva want to leave the state. and the best kids from other states dont feel they need to stay in state so they can come to blacksburg. probably somewhat confusing, but true!

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VHSCA Group AAA All-State Team

Okay, if Harold is the #1 ranked player in Virginia, how did this happen?

QUOTE:

The 757 had a sweep of all of the top categories, including both Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year and both coaches of the year. It’s puzzling to see the state’s number one recruit, Eli Harold, get selected for the second team at defensive end. Harold is very likely to be a starting defensive end for the Cavaliers this fall.

Local players are highlighted in bold text.

Offensive Player of the Year: Jaylian “J.J.” Williamson, Oscar Smith
Defensive Player of the Year: Ken Ekanem, Centreville; Justin Lyles, Phoebus
Division 6 Coach of the Year: Richard Morgan, Oscar Smith
Division 5 Coach of the Year: Stan Sexton, Phoebus