• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Virginia Tech Commitment List

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i really hope that edmunds plays defense. we need an athlete like that more on defense rather than running back where we have a lot of young talent. i also cant see how he could play both ways effectively at running back. marecic or whatever from stanford did it but he was a fullback and wasnt pounding the rock all game.
He will get a shot at both but he will be on defense

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i really hope that edmunds plays defense. we need an athlete like that more on defense rather than running back where we have a lot of young talent.

agree 100% we are already stacked @ RB for the next couple of years. Linebacker has been one of our weaker positions lately on defense so im all for more depth and a higher level of competition.

i also cant see how he could play both ways effectively at running back. marecic or whatever from stanford did it but he was a fullback and wasnt pounding the rock all game.

I feel like if he does play both ways LB will be his primary position, with a couple special sets on offense to get him in the game.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mangus is interesting. he has great speed, but having him get few carries early at RB will be a waste of that speed and athleticism. i like him at wr. a slot guy, someone u create sets for, use in reverses, etc. definitely a versatile guy. not sure how his hands are, but i think mangus will do big things for us. where does stanford fall into the equation?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mangus is interesting. he has great speed, but having him get few carries early at RB will be a waste of that speed and athleticism. i like him at wr. a slot guy, someone u create sets for, use in reverses, etc. definitely a versatile guy. not sure how his hands are, but i think mangus will do big things for us. where does stanford fall into the equation?

It is possible for a RB to line up in the slot ya know...:madgrin:

David Wilson did plenty of it in 2010.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you guys sign 28 recruits?

Were ya'll expecting to sign that many?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool just wondering, UGA had a small class this year. Only 19.

Yea, we had like 19 last year.....and will probably have 16-18 next year. We may oversign every now and then, but we don't make a habit of it. And unlike some schools, the kids that have a good chance of grey shirting are made aware of it during the recruiting process....not on signing day or later.

Last edited by a moderator:

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, we had like 19 last year.....and will probably have 16-18 next year. We may oversign every now and then, but we don't make a habit of it. And unlike some schools, the kids that have a good chance of grey shirting are made aware of it during the recruiting process....not on signing day or later.

It might not actually be oversigning, EE could count for last years class, and of course any greyshirts would count to next year.

UGA handles greyshirts the same way, I can only remember them doing once in the last few years but like you said it wasn't a suprise to the kid. Before the last two years, UGA has usaully filled their class up earlier making it easier to see that a kid might have to greyshirt.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Tech doesn't oversign...ever. Coach Beamer wouldn't stand for it, and Dr. Ballein makes sure it never happens.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We will sign another 20+ recruits for 2013. Attrition happens every year and I don't expect this coming year to be any different.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nah not 20+. Min-15, Max-20.

We'll see...

* 13 graduating seniors after 2012 season
* 4-6 possible attrition (injuries, academics, discipline/legal, transfer, etc.)
* 1-2 early to the NFL depending on 2012 performance

That's 18 to 21.

Plus....

* Any 2013 recruits that may have to prep or greyshirt who will roll into the 2014 Class - usually 2 to 4 players

Possibly 20 to 25.

WmsbgHokieFan

Re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will sign another 20+ recruits for 2013. Attrition happens every year and I don't expect this coming year to be any different.

Speaking of potential attrition, and I'll mention guys leaving early for the NFL, transferring, or leaving after graduating with eligibility remaining.

The two guys, IMO, that will have big enough years and hype to leave early will be Kyle Fuller and James Gayle.

I then have other potential guys for leaving after graduating with eligibility left or transferring. I realize that Spring ball, next season, and how R-Fr and true Fr perform in the next year will help determine a lot of this. Not anyone in particular, but I'd bet that at least 1/2 of these guys but not all of them will fall into these categories:

Telvion Clark
Tony Gregory
James Hopper
Dominique Patterson
E.L. Smiling
Jack Tyler

What do y'all think about these guys? Any others?

Also, just to note, but I like all of these guys and only wish that they work their way this Spring and Fall into a position that keeps them at VT through their full eligibility. I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clark and Tyler are not going anywhere.

I know a few names that may move on to other places, but I am not going to post them publicly until all is said and done. People can PM me if they want my opinion, though.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One is definitely on that list but no not Clark or Tyler

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see...

* 13 graduating seniors after 2012 season
* 4-6 possible attrition (injuries, academics, discipline/legal, transfer, etc.)
* 1-2 early to the NFL depending on 2012 performance

That's 18 to 21.

Plus....

* Any 2013 recruits that may have to prep or greyshirt who will roll into the 2014 Class - usually 2 to 4 players

Possibly 20 to 25.

keep in mind we have 4 or 5 greyshirts that will count towards next year...

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think whether JC redshirts or not obviously will depend on his performance this spring .. I think this kid will be a player. I wish they would run more two-back sets and run a back in motion out to the slot sometimes (like they did with DW in '10) .. With an athlete in the backfield (like Holmes/Harris in the future) and athletes like Coleman and Mangus coming out of the backfield to play some slot ... it would keep a defense's hands full ..

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of potential attrition, and I'll mention guys leaving early for the NFL, transferring, or leaving after graduating with eligibility remaining.

The two guys, IMO, that will have big enough years and hype to leave early will be Kyle Fuller and James Gayle.

I then have other potential guys for leaving after graduating with eligibility left or transferring. I realize that Spring ball, next season, and how R-Fr and true Fr perform in the next year will help determine a lot of this. Not anyone in particular, but I'd bet that at least 1/2 of these guys but not all of them will fall into these categories:

Telvion Clark
Tony Gregory
James Hopper
Dominique Patterson
E.L. Smiling
Jack Tyler

What do y'all think about these guys? Any others?

Also, just to note, but I like all of these guys and only wish that they work their way this Spring and Fall into a position that keeps them at VT through their full eligibility. I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.

One is definitely on that list but no not Clark or Tyler

The thing about the guys that you mention is this.

Jack Tyler is a PLAYER and whether or not he was a walk on and the guys behind him are 4* players, he will have the inside track on the Mike position when Bruce leaves after this year. he has already proven himself as a playmaker in big time games. He was one of our only shining spots against Stanford, played great down the stretch this year and may have been the player of the game on D against UVA. Don't stargaze too much on that Mike spot. There will be time for the other guys. Tyler is a proven commodity.

Clark was slated to get a lot more time this year and had a great Spring but he got nicked up.

Smiling is only a RS-Soph this coming season at a very shallow position with three graduating starters.

Those three will very much be players for 2-deep slots this coming Spring, (especially if they play with moving Edwards to Whip, which I doubt but who knows)