• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He should have said PAUZZZ on that one:

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

Robert Griffin III said Tuesday his knee is 100 percent.

It's notable because Griffin had previously only said his knee was "close" to 100 percent. Now he's practicing in full and feels completely recovered. "If I had to run a 40 today at the combine in my underwear, I feel like I could run a 4.3-something," said Griffin. He'll get one more look from Dr. James Andrews on Thursday and is expected to receiver full clearance to play Week 1.
Source: ESPN.com

Aug 27 - 12:51 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dontari Poe - DL - Chiefs

Chiefs NT Dontari Poe had six tackles, 1.5 sacks, one batted pass and one forced fumble in Sunday's Week 1 blowout of the Jaguars.

Poe, the No. 11 overall pick last season, was talked up as second-year breakout candidate all offseason. So far, so good. The slimmed-down Poe totaled just 38 tackles, no sacks and four batted balls all of last season.
Source: Kansas City Star

Sep 9 - 12:33 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dontari Poe - DL - Chiefs

Chiefs NT Dontari Poe had six tackles, 1.5 sacks, one batted pass and one forced fumble in Sunday's Week 1 blowout of the Jaguars.

Poe, the No. 11 overall pick last season, was talked up as second-year breakout candidate all offseason. So far, so good. The slimmed-down Poe totaled just 38 tackles, no sacks and four batted balls all of last season.
Source: Kansas City Star

Sep 9 - 12:33 PM

go Chiefs!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mychal Kendricks - LB - Eagles

Eagles DC Billy Davis said ILB Mychal Kendricks' "knack" for blitzing is "very exciting."

Kendricks looked like the best defender on the field Monday night, flying around for 10 tackles (six solo, one for a loss) and two quarterback hits. Now a blitzer from weak-side inside 'backer, he's going to shatter last year's mark of one sack. Kendricks, also a strong coverage linebacker, is an IDP sleeper turned gold.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Sep 12 - 10:04 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trent Richardson - RB - Browns

OC Norv Turner said he wants Trent Richardson to get more than 20 carries in Sunday's game against the Ravens.

The Browns oddly gave up on the run game early in Week 1, leading to 59 called pass plays. We'd be stunned if that happened again. The problem this week is that the Browns are on the road against a very stout Ravens front seven. The real opportunity to buy low on Richardson's superior talent will come ahead of Week 3.
Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Sep 12 - 11:21 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Morris Claiborne - DB - Cowboys

Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne has lost his starting job to Orlando Scandrick.

Claiborne is only in his second NFL season, but he has the look of a bust. Working as the third corner, he got lit up by Keenan Allen in Sunday's loss to the Chargers. Claiborne is PFF's No. 99 corner of 101 qualifiers so far this season and was 83rd among 113 qualifiers last year. "He's just got to play better, and he will play better," coach Jason Garrett said.
Source: ESPN Dallas

Oct 1 - 9:25 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris Owusu - WR - Buccaneers

Bucs signed WR Chris Owusu off their practice squad.

Owusu was the league's highest-paid practice squad player. The Stanford product ran a 4.36 at 6'2/200 at the Combine and would have been drafted in 2012 if not for concussion issues. Owusu is an immediate candidate to contribute as a third wideout with Kevin Ogletree cut.
Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Oct 1 - 9:18 AM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Morris Claiborne - DB - Cowboys

Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne has lost his starting job to Orlando Scandrick.

Claiborne is only in his second NFL season, but he has the look of a bust. Working as the third corner, he got lit up by Keenan Allen in Sunday's loss to the Chargers. Claiborne is PFF's No. 99 corner of 101 qualifiers so far this season and was 83rd among 113 qualifiers last year. "He's just got to play better, and he will play better," coach Jason Garrett said.
Source: ESPN Dallas

Oct 1 - 9:25 AM

:D That feels good. From 4-15-2012 3:47pm:

"So who else thinks Morris Claiborne is extremely underwhelming for a top 5-7 pick? I know it's a weak draft, but I don't think Claiborne is much better than an average CB prospect. The guy is actually pretty small (188 pounds) for the speed / acceleration numbers he put up. I think the LSU D-line made him very overrated, and he only had one season as the #1 CB on the team. Long arms will help him, and he seems like a very disciplined player. But I don't see anything that makes him a special prospect. I wouldn't take him in the top 10. "

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, Morris Claiborne, if he continues to underwhelm, will be another guy to whom I point when the ignoramuses come (and they do every year) and argue that the NFL combine is meaningless.

People on the radio & on the internet always say stupid crap to me like the "underwear bowl," as they call it, doesn't matter and you should just look at the tape. I get crap from people every year who cite the most infamous workout warriour busts as proof the combine doesn't matter. Well y'know what? Jerry Jones should've ignored those people instead of the combine.

Morris Claiborne had AMAZING tape. He was making plays so consistently that people (idiotically) were saying he's better than Patrick freeking Peterson (whom people just as idiotically were calling a bust at the time because he had a rough rookie year). However, Peterson was like a demi god at the combine, and Claiborne disappointed.

Of course the tape matters, but so does the combine. A lot. That's why NFL scouts & GMs attend it every year. They're not just looking at interviews; they're looking at how they stack up against each other on a level, scientific playing field.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wanted to talk Alshon Jeffery, and this seemed like as good a place as any to do it. I know a lot of folks on the board were adamantly opposed to him in last year's draft. How do they feel about him now? I was one of the few who would have been pretty happy with him at 31. Obviously he would have been a much better pick than Jenkins, but do people think he is for real/can excel at some point as a go-to receiver? It's looking like he's one of the better WRs in what was considered a pretty deep class.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wanted to talk Alshon Jeffery, and this seemed like as good a place as any to do it. I know a lot of folks on the board were adamantly opposed to him in last year's draft. How do they feel about him now? I was one of the few who would have been pretty happy with him at 31. Obviously he would have been a much better pick than Jenkins, but do people think he is for real/can excel at some point as a go-to receiver? It's looking like he's one of the better WRs in what was considered a pretty deep class.

I know I come off as A.J Jenkins' biggest fan but I would have selected DeVier Posey, Tommy Streeter, or Jeffery over him. Jenkins I thought could become a Denarious Moore in the right scheme. To answer your question this isn't the Jeffery we saw in college who was overweight, but looking at him as a prospect you liked that big body since he could box out defenders on jump balls. I always thought he was a poor man's Hakeem Nicks. I don't think he'll be able to be that #1 guy until he strengthens up more cause he just doesn't come off as physically imposing for a man of his stature.

P.S I think we should trade for Posey. That Texan's corp is too deep. Martin, Johnson, Hopkins, even Jean are all players I wouldn't mind having on the 49ers.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By the way, Morris Claiborne, if he continues to underwhelm, will be another guy to whom I point when the ignoramuses come (and they do every year) and argue that the NFL combine is meaningless.

People on the radio & on the internet always say stupid crap to me like the "underwear bowl," as they call it, doesn't matter and you should just look at the tape. I get crap from people every year who cite the most infamous workout warriour busts as proof the combine doesn't matter. Well y'know what? Jerry Jones should've ignored those people instead of the combine.

Morris Claiborne had AMAZING tape. He was making plays so consistently that people (idiotically) were saying he's better than Patrick freeking Peterson (whom people just as idiotically were calling a bust at the time because he had a rough rookie year). However, Peterson was like a demi god at the combine, and Claiborne disappointed.

Of course the tape matters, but so does the combine. A lot. That's why NFL scouts & GMs attend it every year. They're not just looking at interviews; they're looking at how they stack up against each other on a level, scientific playing field.

You really think Patrick Peterson is living up to his 5th overall billing? He's talented and makes plays no CB in the NFL should be able to make, but he's not considered a lockdown CB as of yet

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I did not want him at 31, but I definitely thought that he was better than AJ Jenkins. Almost everyone graded him higher than AJ, so that's not a huge thing for us to discuss:
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/962988-post56.html

The only reason why most of us did not want him in the first was because of the weight gain, and his slow forty. I do recall though that a lot of people liked him, it's just that people weren't willing to take him in the first. Blackmon, Floyd, Randle, Kendal Wright, are players I could think of in which I was willing to draft ahead of Jeffery. I know for fact, A.J. Jenkins was not on that list of players...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

he did have ONE good game.................

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he did have ONE good game.................

He had one very good game and one great game, to go with a few solid games. He's currently 25th in the league in receiving YPG, and 10th among WRs for scrimmage YPG given his 72 rushing yards. He's also tied for 5th in receptions for more than 20 yards. No one is saying he's elite, but he's looked pretty darn good so far. Certainly better than the guy we took.

But don't worry, we won't forget that you were perhaps the most outspoken against him.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This doesn't prove anything at all....... There are countless guys who were great at the combine and came into the NFL and did jack crap.

For the 1,000,000th time, having great combine numbers don't be crap if you can't play football.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This doesn't prove anything at all....... There are countless guys who were great at the combine and came into the NFL and did jack crap.

For the 1,000,000th time, having great combine numbers don't be crap if you can't play football.

And for the 10,000,000th time, I've never said otherwise. What I've said is that people who IGNORE combine numbers don't know what they're doing.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And for the 10,000,000th time, I've never said otherwise. What I've said is that people who IGNORE combine numbers don't know what they're doing.

But no one completely ignores combine numbers.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't seen anyone (whose comments should be considered to begin with) say that the combine should be ignored.

I have however seen many of us say that the combine comes in 2nd to on field performance. I'm not one to hype up or condemn a guy based on combine numbers, the world has been fooled too many times for that. Film is what matters first and foremost and secondly we see what type of athlete they are.