• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NBA Draft Combine

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jae Crowder is my sleeper pick that could be a stud. From the mocks I've seen, he's a late 1st, likely 2nd round pick. He's a bull. Nothing flashy but gets the job done. I'd say he's sort of like a poor man's young Ron Artest. Any team that gets him is going to get a guy that will give you quality minutes and maybe even earn starts similar to how Ken Faried did this year

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Crowder, but he measured at 6'3.75" in socks in a recent workout. That's small for a SG, much less a guy who played PF in college. I think he's going to plummet, because he doesn't look to have a position in the league.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Ford on Jones:

The workout featured Jones as a wing -- a smart move to validate NBA scouts who believe that Jones was miscast as a center in Baylor's offense the past two years.

Jones wowed early. He's unusually quick and fluid for a player his size. While he's not a lights-out shooter, he's got a nice stroke and knocked down 7-of-15 from NBA 3-point range in one drill. He's also a solid ball handler for his size and looked very comfortable running all the drills on the perimeter.

What was most impressive was his explosiveness in the paint. When Jones hit the lane, he blasted off the ground for a number of thunderous, highlight-reel dunks.

In many ways he reminded me of another unusually big wing -- Paul George. George measured 6-foot-10 in Indiana Pacers training camp and played the 2 and 3 all season for Indiana. Both are excellent athletes who are comfortable putting the ball on the floor and pulling up for jumpers. Both players were accused of not dominating the game during their two seasons in college. George didn't even make first-team All-WAC as a sophomore.

While George's numbers were slightly better across the board, he was allowed to play the wing in college. Jones, on the other hand, played the 4 and 5 the entire season.

After the workout, some things were clear. Others were not.

Jones is going to look terrific in individual workouts. There are very few players in this or any draft who can do the things he does at his size. A team could easily fall in love with his potential and make him a top-5 pick. George fell all the way to No. 10 on draft night and virtually every team that passed on him now regrets it.

What is less clear is whether a position change will improve Jones' motor and overall mental toughness. He disappeared for long stretches during Baylor's season and shied away from contact. Was Jones just unhappy with his role at Baylor and therefore not as engaged as he could've been? Or is there something deeper in his personality that saps the competitive edge out of him?

As for the GMs in the room? Everyone I spoke with came away with a different opinion. Here were two of the most representative:

"That sort of talent doesn't come along very often," one GM said. "As I was watching the workout, I thought you finally got to see what a freed-up Perry Jones could do if a coach just lets him be himself. He could be a dominant, and I mean dominant, forward with his size, athletic ability and skill set. I think he's a hard worker and will be a much better contributor if you give him the chance to be himself. I'd have no concerns drafting him in the top five. He could be a home run of a pick."

And the other side ...

"Of all the guys that are in your top 10, I'd have the hardest time taking him," another GM said. "I know he wants to be a 3, but I don't think he does anything that we ask our 3s to do that is special. He's not a great shooter. He doesn't have a great handle. He's not an aggressive defender. He's got great size and athleticism, but he's not skilled enough. That means he'll end up being a stretch 4, which is a euphemism for a guy who doesn't have a position."

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, interesting about Perry Jones. Does this mean he's a SF in the NBA?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, interesting about Perry Jones. Does this mean he's a SF in the NBA?

I thought the same thing about Anthony Randolph, but he wasn't as seasoned for big minutes, as strong or have the lack of interest in defense that Jones has (but he has all the other qualities that the last GM listed). I hope he goes in the top 5, the Dubs have the seventh pick and better players, for the Warriors, slip to them.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing about Anthony Randolph, but he wasn't as seasoned for big minutes, as strong or have the lack of interest in defense that Jones has (but he has all the other qualities that the last GM listed). I hope he goes in the top 5, the Dubs have the seventh pick and better players, for the Warriors, slip to them.

I'm almost certain that we move up.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking MKG or Barnes.

My #1 is Thomas Robinson though IF we move up.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking MKG or Barnes.

My #1 is Thomas Robinson though IF we move up.

If we move up to 2 or 3 (1 pretty much isn't an option if we don't already have it), I want MKG or Andre Drummond.

Thomas Robinson is nice, but he's redundant with Lee not going anywhere anytime soon. I think Barnes can easily be had at 5, if the Warriors are really in love with him.

I love MKG's motor and he was a true freshman last year, meaning there's tons of room for growth. He's already a tenacious defender and rebounder and he can run the floor. He needs to work on his ball handling and his outside shot, but those will come along as he works on it.

As for Drummond, I think he has the highest upside in the draft after Anthony Davis. He could become a legit powerhouse center in this league. The question marks surround his work ethic, but he could become the next Dwight Howard. He could also become the next Kwame Brown, which is why I have him below MKG.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we move up to 2 or 3 (1 pretty much isn't an option if we don't already have it), I want MKG or Andre Drummond.

Thomas Robinson is nice, but he's redundant with Lee not going anywhere anytime soon. I think Barnes can easily be had at 5, if the Warriors are really in love with him.

I love MKG's motor and he was a true freshman last year, meaning there's tons of room for growth. He's already a tenacious defender and rebounder and he can run the floor. He needs to work on his ball handling and his outside shot, but those will come along as he works on it.

As for Drummond, I think he has the highest upside in the draft after Anthony Davis. He could become a legit powerhouse center in this league. The question marks surround his work ethic, but he could become the next Dwight Howard. He could also become the next Kwame Brown, which is why I have him below MKG.

I like it. Do you think #7, #30 and D-Wright can get the Cavs pick?

I like the looks of:

Curry/Jenkins/Tyshawn Taylor (or Scott Machado, if either is available at #52)
Thompson/Rush
MKG/Jefferson
Lee/Drew Gordon (if available at #35)
Bogut/Tyler/Biedrins

It isn't a championship-contending team, but an average amount of health should get them at least a six seed, with that line-up. With Biedrins money coming off the books soon, it's a step in the right direction.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Do you think #7, #30 and D-Wright can get the Cavs pick?

I like the looks of:

Curry/Jenkins/Tyshawn Taylor (or Scott Machado, if either is available at #52)
Thompson/Rush
MKG/Jefferson
Lee/Drew Gordon (if available at #35)
Bogut/Tyler/Biedrins

It isn't a championship-contending team, but an average amount of health should get them at least a six seed, with that line-up. With Biedrins money coming off the books soon, it's a step in the right direction.

I think it all depends on if the Cavs love anyone at that spot. Value wise, I think it should be enough. The Cavs get 1 immediate starter plus a very good player at 7 and another 1st at 30.

As for the lineup you projected I think Machado is much more likely at 52 than Taylor. I think Tyshawn at worst is a high 2nd pick. I like Drew Gordon too.

If we went into the season with that roster, I would project Jefferson to be starting. Our depth would have 1 true veteran player (Rush) who would be a rotational player and 2nd string comprising of rookies and 2nd year players. I don't think that kind of depth gets it done. Especially with injuries being a big theme with our team in recent years, I wouldn't trust the season to having rely on the youth of this team.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you thinking they want, EK? MKG? Would #7, #30 and D-Wright get them into the Top 3?

I don't think MKG is their #1, I think they want the coveted big man. I think they want (as do I) Drummond. We tried to pay Jordan and Chandler $11 million per, over 7 season or whatever it was. Drummond comes in doing what they do, plus more upside offensively. Bogut is going to need rest, as well as our insurance if he get h--- (no jinx).

Jeremy Tyler excelled at the 4 this season when he was moved over there, I wouldn't tinker with that.

I wouldn't mind MKG at all though, I just think that Jeff Taylor plays the same game as MKG, and can be had for a trade up.

I feel that we're going to move up, this is our time, new stadium, The Logo, so on and so on. When I say move up, I mean through the ping pong balls.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Areas of need: Defense, Rebounding, Size, Offense. We need to pick someone proficient in at least 3 out of 4 of these areas!! Go Warriors:drink:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery Taylor Highlight Mix - YouTube

The more I watch Jeff Taylor, the more I love him. I can't wait to see these guys workout. I'm starting to lean towards the trade back theory. I think Taylor could step in and be that defensive, tough force on the wing that we need. His shooting form is very pretty as well.

We could grab a solid defensive, backup center also in the trade back theory.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rusty Simmons

As NBA executives congregated in Chicago for the combine, the Warriors' offseason plans started to become lucid. Team and league sources said the Warriors' Plan A is to get a vet upgrade at SF (like Iguodala, Gay, Granger or JSmith), a mid-level backup PG (like AMiller, Kidd, Hinrich, Felton) and draft a backup big man (like Leonard or Nicholson). Let the wheeling and dealing begin.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't wanna trade back. Stay put or move up. We need a legitimate difference maker.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rusty Simmons

As NBA executives congregated in Chicago for the combine, the Warriors' offseason plans started to become lucid. Team and league sources said the Warriors' Plan A is to get a vet upgrade at SF (like Iguodala, Gay, Granger or JSmith), a mid-level backup PG (like AMiller, Kidd, Hinrich, Felton) and draft a backup big man (like Leonard or Nicholson). Let the wheeling and dealing begin.

I heard this on the radio this morning and loved it. I'm not a fan of adding Rudy Gay though. Any of the other 3 are fine by me, though Iggy is the target I really want to see. It's his ball handling and passing ability that sets him apart for me. I think he's the perfect fit.

As far as a big in the draft, I'm really liking the Kyle O'Quinn kid, I can't wait to see his combine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q9Dg_envoo

Last edited by a moderator: