• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 49er Mock draft Rounds 1-5

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hello all! Well, now that I have found this message board full of the awesome former posters from ESPN, I am very inclined to offer up some mocks here and there and plenty of opinions on different subjects. Anywho... Here goes my first 49ers mock for this year! Thanks and I love to hear criticism, so don't tread lightly as long as there are valid reasons for it!

Round 1, pick 30-- Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina. This may seem like a reach to some with his poor combine apparantly in , but I would love to have him in SF. He has really good control and while he is not a burner, he fits right in with the desire of our coaching staff to have WR's block downfield. He has excellent jump ball ability and I also am very impressed with his toughness. Having seen him live several times I have no hesitation that he can translate to the NFL.

Round 2, pick 62-- Jared Crick, DE, Neb. Personally I think he could turn into one of the most consistent 3-4 DE's from this draft class. He played very well the two seasons prior to this one where he struggled with a torn pectoral. His value could really lend itself to being here for a very long time as I look to him being the eventual replacement for Justin Smith.

Round 3, pick 93-- Robert Turbin, RB, Utah ST. An incredible athlete and an impressive size/speed combination. Shows good hands for a RB and a great top end motor. Blows through the hole and has very quick feet. I think he could be a feature back and one that can be a load carrier in Harbaugh's system for awhile. I think he would do very well sitting behind Gore and replacing Anthony Dixon who I don't think plays very well into the role the coaching staff has assigned him.

Round 4, pick 125-- Coryell Judie, CB, TX A&M. Good combination of size and speed, with possibly questionable cover skills. Slight injury issue with missing 6 games this past year. 2nd team all big 12 in the season before this one with a quality showing against Ryan Broyles. 37" vert and at 6'0 194 running a low 4.4 is a very good time. honestly I haven't seen him play, but am going mostly off projected slot and I know our desire for larger corners.

Round 5, pick 157-- Grant Garner, C, OKSt. Has good size at 6'3 and right around 300 lbs, played well this season and did a good job of keeping the pocket clean for Brandon Weeden. Teammate of kendall hunter. strong in pass protection, and adept at run blocking. Also, admittedly I don't know too much about him, more or less regurgitating what Walter says, lol..

Alrighty! Well that concludes the first attempt at a 5 round mock for myself. Like I said, I don't mind any criticism as long as there is reasoning behind it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rd 1 - Late in the season, Jeffery may have been the consensus pick(not necessarily favorite) for us in the late first(i know i was rooting) but since then, most would agree he hasn't helped his stock much. Hill from GT although is turning heads and making a strong push for us @30 that most would be happy with although there are some who still remain skeptical(rightfully so)

Rd 2 - A once projected first rounder(high) now available in the late 2nd? Could be a steal to some. Hard to value that, IMO DE isn't a need right now(I'm actually a fan of Dobbs as a backup and potential riser). But I wouldn't hate it cause it could prove to be the real deal if healthy. Would I have other eyes other than him at that selection? yes.

Rd 3 - Can't see RB here unless someone of the speed variety who could fill in the return duties. I wouldn't draft one to sit as the #3 RB. RB for me isn't high on this year's draft(fan of david wilson though)

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Rd 1 - Late in the season, Jeffery may have been the consensus pick(not necessarily favorite) for us in the late first(i know i was rooting) but since then, most would agree he hasn't helped his stock much. Hill from GT although is turning heads and making a strong push for us @30 that most would be happy with although there are some who still remain skeptical(rightfully so)

Rd 2 - A once projected first rounder(high) now available in the late 2nd? Could be a steal to some. Hard to value that, IMO DE isn't a need right now(I'm actually a fan of Dobbs as a backup and potential riser). But I wouldn't hate it cause it could prove to be the real deal if healthy. Would I have other eyes other than him at that selection? yes.

Rd 3 - Can't see RB here unless someone of the speed variety who could fill in the return duties. I wouldn't draft one to sit as the #3 RB. RB for me isn't high on this year's draft(fan of david wilson though)

I personally would LOVE Hill at 30, but I don't see Hill lasting into the 20's. I think Houston would get antsy and trade up. I agree RB isn't a need per se, but his potential in my opinion easily outweighs any other position. Especially with Gore clearly starting to wear down later in the season and Hunter POSSIBLY avail to stand in but I think he'd be much better in the #2 role for a long time.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok here's mine (I'm being realistic enough):

1. Konz
2. Ta'amu / Curry / Hosley (in that order)
3. Chapman (or Bruce Irvin if Ta'amu is slelected earlier)
4. Forston
5. Michael Egnew

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if we drafted turbin

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if we drafted turbin

he does seem to have an impressive combination of size and speed but it appears he doesnt protect the rock all that well in traffic? we all know you will be exposed on the next level if you dont know how to protect the rock!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turbin / Judie are the only two picks I'd be okay with in your scenario.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Turbin / Judie are the only two picks I'd be okay with in your scenario.

who would you prefer in the first? I personally don't think Michael Floyd/Stephen Hill at WR or any of the corners that are worth it will be there. In the second, I didn't feel there was value at CB position either.. Who would you prefer to see in those positions?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'd rather trade down, but if there's no parter no trade with we're gonna have to pick. I'm still hoping that Courtney Upshaw falls but I've come off that a little bit since we've re-signed Brooks.

Fletcher Cox is probably my #1 choice right now if I had to choose at 30. Devon Still is right up there, too. Chase Minnifield if we're to go CB, though he's hard to predict where exactly he'll land in the draft. I wouldn't completely hate Peter Konz. If we're to go WR I'd probably hop on Mohamed Sanu but I like the value of the WRs in the mid rounds more than the top guys, especially A.J. Jenkins and Junior Hemingway.

I wouldn't be complete opposed to taking either Lamar Miller or David Wilson at 30, either. Both are too good to pass up at that point if they were to fall, IMO.

My early big board for the first pick would probably be:

- Trade down for '13 first if possible
- Fletcher Cox
- Devon Still
- Lamar Miller
- David Wilson
- Chase Minnifield
- Peter Konz
- Mohamed Sanu
- Kevin Zeitler

Other guys that interest me after the first round throughout the draft in no particular order include Mike Martin, Josh Chapman, Brandon Boykin, Stephon Gilmore, Casey Heyward, Doug Martin, Coryell Judie, Junior Hemingway, A.J. Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Ladarius Green, Markelle Martin, Ronnie Hillman, Robert Turbin, Vinny Curry, Jonathan Massaquoi, and Brandon Brooks.

Stephon Gilmore and Trumaine Johnson I'd rather see moved to safety where I think they'll have more success.

An ideal (and realistic) scenario for me would be:

1. Fletcher Cox (Chase Minnifield)
2. Stephon Gilmore (Markelle Martin)
3. Ronnie Hillman (Robert Turbin) (A.J. Jenkins)
4. Brandon Boykin (Casey Heyward) (Junior Hemingway)
5. Mike Martin (Josh Chapman)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 1a and 1b pretty much, but comebine tipped the scales a bit. I'd be extremely happy with both at 30.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Trade for a 2013 first if possible or trade back if there is a good deal.
Devon Still
Cordy Glenn
Peter Konz
Fletcher Cox
David Wilson

2. Jayron Hosley
Jared Crick
Stephon Gilmore
Ladarius Green
David Molk

3. Ryan Broyles
Cyrus Gray
Ronnie Hillman

4. Belcher
Greg Childs
AJ Jenkins

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Does anyone think that a team near the middle/end of the 2nd round would be interested in trading up to 30? then we might be able to snake a mid/late 2nd round pick this year and a first next year.. Teams like Detroit, Houston, and San Diego come to mind with their supposed "win now" mentalities..