• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2011 vs 2012 draft

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The 2011 draft rocked. Best draft I can think of in recent history for us.
Guys having impact: Aldon (1), Kap (2), Culliver (3), Hunter (4), Miller (7).

But the 2012 draft so far has to be labelled as a bust. Sure you can say we built depth but you need your 1st and maybe even 2nd round draft pick to have an impact. So far no one from the 2012 draft is even having an impact.

No one is really even playing from the 2012 draft, except maybe Trenton Robinson on special teams???

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 2011 draft rocked. Best draft I can think of in recent history for us.
Guys having impact: Aldon (1), Kap (2), Culliver (3), Hunter (4), Miller (7).

But the 2012 draft so far has to be labelled as a bust. Sure you can say we built depth but you need your 1st and maybe even 2nd round draft pick to have an impact. So far no one from the 2012 draft is even having an impact.

No one is really even playing from the 2012 draft, except maybe Trenton Robinson on special teams???

the 2011 class is exceptional, so isn't a good measuring stick. they were also drafted from the #7 spot overall.

the 2012 class were drafted from the 30th spot, and faced a very good roster with 21 of 22 starting spots set. this isn't an excuse to say they are in fact good, but saying keep it in perspective. i wouldn't expect 2012 to match 2011. for me, they have the benefit of the doubt till next year.

also, the WR's and RB's that are playing, are playing well. we're built for now and must win now. we don't have to take the "see what the rookies can do" approach.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the 2011 class is exceptional, so isn't a good measuring stick. they were also drafted from the #7 spot overall.

the 2012 class were drafted from the 30th spot, and faced a very good roster with 21 of 22 starting spots set. this isn't an excuse to say they are in fact good, but saying keep it in perspective. i wouldn't expect 2012 to match 2011. for me, they have the benefit of the doubt till next year.

also, the WR's and RB's that are playing, are playing well. we're built for now and must win now. we don't have to take the "see what the rookies can do" approach.

Can people stop using the high draft pick as a reason a draft results in a lot of talent? By having the seventh pick in 2011 we made exactly one pick before any of our 2012 picks came up. The idea that we were in better position when we drafted Culliver than we were when we drafted Jenkins of James is crazy, and wrong.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been under the impression for awhile now that the 2010 and 2011 drafts had a lot more depth to them than this year's draft. If that's really the case, you'd have to factor that into the equation as far as getting productive players in the mid-late rounds. We'll really see about the project picks next year (James and Jenkins). I don't think anyone should write them off at this point. Both of them have a lot of traffic to work through right now in addition to having to add strength.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still far too early to tell.... on either draft. 2011 draft had guys make immediate impacts, but who knows if they will stay at that level. 2012 draft picks haven't gotten a chance to show what they can do yet. You can't call it a "bust" before even 1 season is complete.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Too early to tell especially given the circumstances.

Our starting roster outside of RG was pretty much set going into the draft so where we drafted I have a tough time picturing a guy that we could've drafted that was going to make a major impact. I mean nobody we picked on defense was going to start and on offense the only position open was an upgrade at C and RG.

I don't think Baalke was in love with this draft as evident with his accumulation of picks for 2013 and so far the 2012 draft class outside of the QBs has been pretty weak. Nobody defensively comes close to Watt, Aldon, Peterson, or Miller. Offensively 2012 isn't as bad but that's mainly due to QBs. The #1 WR class was weak but the #2 and 3 WR class was strong. The RB class so far has just been ok as has the offensive line class.

So with all that above said Baalke was drafting for 2013 and beyond with his picks and not for immediate impact in 2012. I believe the teams was planning on CK being the starter in 2013 so the Jenkins and James picks were "hey let's develop these guys in 2012 and in 2013 they can grow with CK". Smith with his arm was never going to take advantage of Jenkins' speed and James with CK's own running ability adds a huge threat to defenses.

Also our WR and RB depth was going to evaporate fairly quickly within the next couple of years so when it's gone why not have guys ready to take over?

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm thinking it's too soon to evaluate the 2012 class. Even the 2011 class, but so far so good. Most people seem frustrated with the lack of playing time by this rookie class. In general, did people not like the picks? Specifically Jenkins and James. If so, who would you have picked, and would they be making any more of an immediate impact on this team?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011: Fantastic
2012: Inexplicable. Did the same guys even make the decisions here?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbs just said it is very possible we see a James sighting in December.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbs just said it is very possible we see a James sighting in December.

December 2012? lol jk....

I guess he saw the same thing we were seeing. The hole left by Hunter as the change of pace back.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no Jenkins even with Williams and Manningham out?

On Monday, meanwhile, Harbaugh said that another high draft pick, receiver A.J. Jenkins, was being "integrated" into the game plan. Harbaugh said it was difficult because there were three receivers - Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss and Mario Manningham - who were ahead of Jenkins on the depth chart.

Reminded that Ted Ginn Jr. also has been ahead of Jenkins on the depth chart, Harbaugh said, "He has been. Yes."

Read more here: Sacramento Bee -- 49ers Blog and Q&A

Seems Jenkins will play and Ginn will be shown the door

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking it's too soon to evaluate the 2012 class. Even the 2011 class, but so far so good. Most people seem frustrated with the lack of playing time by this rookie class. In general, did people not like the picks? Specifically Jenkins and James. If so, who would you have picked, and would they be making any more of an immediate impact on this team?

I don't think people didn't like the picks or think other guys would make a huge impact, but in my opinion at least, why have they not even dressed? Just seems strange to me.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hopefully Santa will bring his new elf LMJ to the party this weekend.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Monday, meanwhile, Harbaugh said that another high draft pick, receiver A.J. Jenkins, was being "integrated" into the game plan. Harbaugh said it was difficult because there were three receivers - Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss and Mario Manningham - who were ahead of Jenkins on the depth chart.

Reminded that Ted Ginn Jr. also has been ahead of Jenkins on the depth chart, Harbaugh said, "He has been. Yes."

Read more here: Sacramento Bee -- 49ers Blog and Q&A

Seems Jenkins will play and Ginn will be shown the door

I didn't infer that at all from that statement

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of you are so freakin ridiculous. Jumping in and calling these guys busts because they haven't played this year.

In regards to LMJ, when have you looked at Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter and said to yourself, I'm disappointed in these guys and want LMJ to replace them, LMJ needs these carries not these two bums. Seriously? You're calling him a bust because he couldn't beat those two guys out? Don't give me any shit about how Hunter is injured because you were saying LMJ was a bust when Hunter was healthy. Is LMJ a bust because Dixon gets to be the team's cheerleader instead?? Please, like suiting up and not playing is an accomplishment. So the coaches feel Dixon offers more on special teams, is that shocking to you since Dixon is bigger? I'd rather see LMJ than Dixon too, but the Coaches like Dixon more for special teams.

With Jenkins, yes the early reports on him were extremely disappointing, and also discouraging that he didn't play well enough to challenge for an active spot in the receiving corps; because Ginn is completely worthless there and Kyle Williams was just OK and got open once in a while for some passes. As for calling Jenkins a bust because he didn't beat out Crabtree or Manningham, again, all year long those two have been very solid. Moss has been good too, but it seems he is more of a distraction to loosen up coverage than a highly targeted weapon so his stats aren't there. Once again, depth at the position has so far kept Jenkins inactive.

With both of these guys, yes they should be better than Dixon, Ginn, and Williams... and even though most of us disagree with the coaching staff, they felt Dixon, Ginn, and Williams could contribute more to special teams than Jenkins or LMJ. Throw that in with Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss playing so well that Dixon, Ginn, and Williams barely stepped on the field for the offense... it should make perfect sense as to why those guys stayed inactive most of the year.

Or, you can keep being a weirdo and call them busts because they couldn't beat out Dixon, Ginn, and Williams for the right to sit on the bench in uniform instead of in street clothes.

Do these circumstances prove that they won't be busts? Of course not, but they haven't even been given a chance to play yet because of the depth at their positions and satisfactory production of the starters.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of you are so freakin ridiculous. Jumping in and calling these guys busts because they haven't played this year.

In regards to LMJ, when have you looked at Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter and said to yourself, I'm disappointed in these guys and want LMJ to replace them, LMJ needs these carries not these two bums. Seriously? You're calling him a bust because he couldn't beat those two guys out? Don't give me any shit about how Hunter is injured because you were saying LMJ was a bust when Hunter was healthy. Is LMJ a bust because Dixon gets to be the team's cheerleader instead?? Please, like suiting up and not playing is an accomplishment. So the coaches feel Dixon offers more on special teams, is that shocking to you since Dixon is bigger? I'd rather see LMJ than Dixon too, but the Coaches like Dixon more for special teams.

With Jenkins, yes the early reports on him were extremely disappointing, and also discouraging that he didn't play well enough to challenge for an active spot in the receiving corps; because Ginn is completely worthless there and Kyle Williams was just OK and got open once in a while for some passes. As for calling Jenkins a bust because he didn't beat out Crabtree or Manningham, again, all year long those two have been very solid. Moss has been good too, but it seems he is more of a distraction to loosen up coverage than a highly targeted weapon so his stats aren't there. Once again, depth at the position has so far kept Jenkins inactive.

With both of these guys, yes they should be better than Dixon, Ginn, and Williams... and even though most of us disagree with the coaching staff, they felt Dixon, Ginn, and Williams could contribute more to special teams than Jenkins or LMJ. Throw that in with Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss playing so well that Dixon, Ginn, and Williams barely stepped on the field for the offense... it should make perfect sense as to why those guys stayed inactive most of the year.

Or, you can keep being a weirdo and call them busts because they couldn't beat out Dixon, Ginn, and Williams for the right to sit on the bench in uniform instead of in street clothes.

Do these circumstances prove that they won't be busts? Of course not, but they haven't even been given a chance to play yet because of the depth at their positions and satisfactory production of the starters.

Geez, Birds, that was some diatribe!