• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2006 defense vs 2018 defense

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which do you like better.

2006:

It’s easy to pick the full careers of players like urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, and brown. Harris was the best player on the team when he was healthy. The cover 2 was big that year and the bears played it the best. This team was run by Lovie smith and the defense was run by Ron Rivera, who was a great defensive coordinator.

2018:

These young guys have a lot to prove. Khalil Mack is the superstar of the bunch, but there are really good players at every position, and depth has been scary. Jackson and Fuller have been incredible. Smith looks like a future pro bower. Hicks and Goldman have gotten after it. Then you still have players like Nichols, prince, McManus, Callahan, Amos, travathan, Tolliver, RRH, and Lynch who all make plays as well. This team is stacked.

2006 D Line - Brown, Harris, Tank/Dusty, Wale/Anderson

2018 D Line - Mack, Nicks, Goldman, Nichols, Floyd, RRH, Bullard, etc.

I’d probably take the 2018 version here. Mostly because Harris went down half way through the year.

06 LBs- Urlacher, Briggs, Hillenmeyer

18 LBs- Mack, Floyd, Travathan, Smith, Kwit, Lynch

Have to go with 06. I give mack more value on d line than as a linebacker.

06 secondary- Tillman, Vasher, Brown, Harris, Manning, Manning Jr.

18 secondary- Fuller, Prince, Jackson, Amos, Bush, Callahan, Tolliver, McManus

I got to go with 18 here. Tillman is great and vasher has a great year that year, but when Brown was injured, I think it exposed a hole in the defense. The 18 bears don’t seem to have any injuries that significant yet. I think 18 could be the better defense because of the level and depth of talent. 06 had great players everywhere when healthy, but a few key injuries created big holes. I really believe this 18 team has more ability to rebound from a significant injury (outside of mack) with little negative effects. This defense is special. I like our chances against just about anybody.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm picking '18 because this unit can become really scary over the next few seasons (especially if Fangio stays).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with the '18 group here. This is the most balanced and well rounded defense in Bears history Now before the '85 crowd starts demanding that I be burned at the stake, notice I didn't say the '18 squad is better, it's just more balanced. Our secondary is better than both the '85 and '06 units.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this supposed to be a serious question?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18 is better by a mile.

I'm picking '18 because this unit can become really scary over the next few seasons (especially if Fangio stays).

I'm with the '18 group here. This is the most balanced and well rounded defense in Bears history Now before the '85 crowd starts demanding that I be burned at the stake, notice I didn't say the '18 squad is better, it's just more balanced. Our secondary is better than both the '85 and '06 units.

Is this supposed to be a serious question?
So, BS, would you agree with everyone else?

Which player from the 06 roster do you think could most help this team the most?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre Mike Brown/Tommie Harris injuries - 06 was better.

05 was also better. That D nearly set the all-time yardage record. Except they rested their starters the final game vs MIN.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre Mike Brown/Tommie Harris injuries - 06 was better.

05 was also better. That D nearly set the all-time yardage record. Except they rested their starters the final game vs MIN.
I'n not so certain. The game has changed a lot since then, none of which helps the D.

Tommie Harris is nowhere near the player Akiem Hicks is, even when he was healthy. Across the board, today's players matchup and in most cases they are better. I mean Dusty Dvoracek?? Get real. HUnter Hillenmeyer? Please.

The reason I say '18, is because there is not one weak link on this D.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really crazy. You'd have to pick a really solid player like Amos or Trevathan as the worst players from the defense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'n not so certain. The game has changed a lot since then, none of which helps the D.

Tommie Harris is nowhere near the player Akiem Hicks is, even when he was healthy. Across the board, today's players matchup and in most cases they are better. I mean Dusty Dvoracek?? Get real. HUnter Hillenmeyer? Please.

Dude, Harris was a fucking MONSTER pre-injury. Remember how he used to beat double teams like it was his job? I think some on this board are suffering from recency bias.

Pre-Harris and Brown injury people legit had us in the GOAT D conversation. The first half of the year it was insane how good they were.

Dvoracek was not a Bear until 07 or 08. I'll take our mid-00's LB corp over this one.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Harris was a fucking MONSTER pre-injury. Remember how he used to beat double teams like it was his job? I think some on this board are suffering from recency bias.

Pre-Harris and Brown injury people legit had us in the GOAT D conversation. The first half of the year it was insane how good they were.

Dvoracek was not a Bear until 07 or 08. I'll take our mid-00's LB corp over this one.

Ok sorry...Ian Scott, like that's some vast improvement.

Tommie Harris was a great player when on the field, but honestly couldn't carry Hicks' jock. They are not even close bruh.

And like I said, the game is much tougher for defenses today.

It's tough to argue against Urlacher and Briggs, but after that, it's not even close. I mean, if we are including Mack as an LB, I would take this unit all day.

'05 was an awesome year, and that D was spectacular, but I think if you lined up position for position, this D is better, especially if you add in depth.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
85-86 d..........Hell if your gonna compare the defenses,may as well as add those teams to the mix.....it's two different eras although it been only 13 years diffetence.

Otr......I like this years team better.....Even tho Mike Brown was one of my faves from back then....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommie Harris was a great player when on the field, but honestly couldn't carry Hicks' jock. They are not even close bruh.

And like I said, the game is much tougher for defenses today.QUOTE]

As has already been mentioned, when Tommie was healthy (the pre-injury years), he was a beast. THAT Tommie Harris could hold his own in comparisons to Akiem. Unfortunately, the problem was, just like with Mike Brown at safety, Harris could not stay healthy. So for me Akiem gets the nod for not only his relentless talent, but also the fact that he hasn't been an IR recipient waiting to happen each year.

As for your last sentence, that is dead on. All the rule changes in the past decade have made it so much harder on the defenses.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prime Urlacher was so f*cking good. Overall this team's defense may be better as a complete unit...but Urlacher himself was game-changing in ways that very few others can match. He carried our asses for years.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prime Urlacher was so f*cking good. Overall this team's defense may be better as a complete unit...but Urlacher himself was game-changing in ways that very few others can match. He carried our asses for years.
This statement is very true. What speaks volumes about the defense that year is urlacher wasn’t the leading vote getter for MVP on the bears until Tommie Harris got hurt. That guy was Aaron Donald before Aaron Donald. He was THAT great. Mike Brown was special when healthy as well.

Top end talent goes to 06. Depth and no holes goes to 18. I think it’s a very legitimate debate.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2006 defense was a bend no break defense whereas this one is far more aggressive, punch you in the face defense. I prefer this one.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2006 defense was a bend no break defense whereas this one is far more aggressive, punch you in the face defense. I prefer this one.

Damn yes, I remember that well. It seemed they let more offenses gather up yardage than just about any other D out there, yet somehow managed to put on the brakes when it became money time. Too much tension tho.