• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs 7) Indiana Pacers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it. LeBron specifically moved to the double team from an angle tthat would prevent the pass to lance. RJ was there too hovering between lance and cj.

Gonna have to disagree with you to a point. I think a hard bounce pass or even a hard pass straight to Lance gets through. Lebron is quick and in decent position, but he's not quick enough to even deflect the pass, let alone intercept it (no one is). Unless old ass RJ is using his cane to deflect the pass, he's not getting there at all.

So, assuming the pass gets through, then it comes down to how quickly Lance can get the shot off vs. how quickly Lebron can get there to challenge the shot and whether or not he can get there to challenge it without fouling him.

So, while I disagree that Lebron could have stopped the pass, I do agree that he likely is at least able to challenge the shot and/or force Lance to pass it back out.

End of the day, that pass wouldn't be defended nearly as easily as Cavs fans want to think. But it also likely doesn't lead to the uncontested shot that others seem to think. Obviously, we're never going to know because PG-13 didn't pass him the ball.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relative to the last couple months, I thought the Cavs defense looked good. And it is what ultimately allowed them to hang on to the win at the end.

To me, what let them down was their free throw shooting and late game offense. 17 4th quarter points.

PG went 6-8 from 3 on contested three pointers. Pacers played well offensively, but it wasn't indicative of terrible defense in my opinion.

That said, given their recent history, I understand anyone who wants to correlate the pacers effective offense in game 1 to the Cavs defense.

Relative to the rest of the season, the Lakers looked good over the last couple of weeks. In other words, when your team has been playing as bad as the Cavs, anything looks good relatively.

Also, playing decent enough to hang on and win a game in which you blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead, doesn't speak to your defense getting better. It's like saying Kevin Love is a good defender because he played good defense on one play in last years finals.

The Cavs gave up an average of 107 points per game this season and gave up 108 in game 1. Not sure where this defense you saw was?

What's going to be interesting is to see what the Cavs do tonight. There is no way they can be satisfied with how they played in game 1, especially in the 4th quarter when they had the opportunity to put it in cruise control, get some rest for Lebron, Kyrie and Love and let the Pacers know that they have no shot and instead, damn near lost the game.

I think the Pacers gained some confidence and the Cavs have to be at least a little concerned. If the Cavs can come out and just curbstomp the Pacers, then I think they'll probably sweep the series. If we end up with another game like game 1, even if the Pacers lose again, things can get very interesting when they get to Indy and they may be able to push this to at least 6.

Sorry, not trying to piss in your punch bowl, just telling you what I saw.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it. LeBron specifically moved to the double team from an angle tthat would prevent the pass to lance. RJ was there too hovering between lance and cj.
mean...this is just common sense. Its exactly why Lebron did what he did. They executed to perfection- and PG wasnt prepared/ready for it.

Its why I give Lue some credit- in the double OT game a couple weeks before that they played it differently and purposefully didnt show their hand.

George thought he was gonna get a 1 on 1 shot- and all of a sudden there are two defenders - one 6'6"- te othe 6'8" right in his face making him give up the ball to a guy that comes and gets it on the perimeter.

the Cavs executed the play perfectly.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mean...this is just common sense. Its exactly why Lebron did what he did. They executed to perfection- and PG wasnt prepared/ready for it.

th

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacers are definitely one of the most dangerous teams in the East this playoffs. I'd just put the Cavs, Wizards, Raptors, Bucks, Bulls and possibly the Celtics before them. But other than that, no one more dangerous in the East.

Not in a 7 game series but it all comes down to matchups. They are a good matchup for the Cavs and some of the other teams you listed.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in a 7 game series but it all comes down to matchups. They are a good matchup for the Cavs and some of the other teams you listed.

I just don't see the Pacers as a dangerous team. They have Paul George and then who else? Myles Turner's good, but he's in his 2nd year and still improving. They have players who are diminishing and not as good as they thought they'd be with Young and Teague; and their defense is as abysmal as I've ever seen as evident by Teague getting Lebron on just about every PR.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a split second where he could have gotten it to Lance.

His first thought was probably I AM going to take the last shot, I guarantee that double team threw him off. If it did throw him off, less likely to make that pass with only a split second, then even if he does I highly doubt Lance has a good angle with possibly a double team or defender near him, he was literally right under the rim. But I guess we will never know, but I read minds LOL

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron blitzed that PERFECTLY. you are correct.

plus- even if George was prepared for it and was in the mindset to give it up- which he wasnt- thats a very difficult to make passed LeBron---in fact- the guy blitzing him is one of the only guys- if not hte ONLY guy in the NBA with the both the size, passing acumen and the instincts to make that play.

It comes down to exactly what I have been saying-

ability to execute, preperation, and experience were all going to be things the Cavs benefited from once the playoffs started.

I mena- you saw it in the Chicago Bulls- Celtics game to a certain extent too---- in the playoffs- the things that matter are a. talent, b. experience and execution.

Id MUCH rather face a team like the Heat or the Hornets or the Pistons- teams that just dont have the high end talent and playoff experience- then a team like the Bulls with Wade/Butler/Rondo. Its not even a QUESTION.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first thought was probably I AM going to take the last shot, I guarantee that double team threw him off. If it did throw him off, less likely to make that pass with only a split second, then even if he does I highly doubt Lance has a good angle with possibly a double team or defender near him, he was literally right under the rim. But I guess we will never know, but I read minds LOL
exactly. its common sense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs can coast in the finals because the East is so weak. They're gonna get ran of the court by GS/SA in the finals though. Probably wont win a game. Not with the weak ass, lazy defense they have played all year.

Probably so unless they step up their defense, but I wouldn't say coast there are some pretty under the radar teams in the East. Raps and C's are overrated IMO

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the Pacers as a dangerous team. They have Paul George and then who else? Myles Turner's good, but he's in his 2nd year and still improving. They have players who are diminishing and not as good as they thought they'd be with Young and Teague; and their defense is as abysmal as I've ever seen as evident by Teague getting Lebron on just about every PR.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying- but a guy like Paul George can make everyone better.

They do have some "microwave" talent on the Pacers too- guys that if you let them get hot can put up some major points like Teague and Ellis and Miles---- which is dangerous in a playoff series.

Plus- the Cavs have never played well in Indy.

but- i mean- you are right in that- the Cavs shouldnt go passed a max. 5 games against this team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relative to the last couple months, I thought the Cavs defense looked good. And it is what ultimately allowed them to hang on to the win at the end.

To me, what let them down was their free throw shooting and late game offense. 17 4th quarter points.

PG went 6-8 from 3 on contested three pointers. Pacers played well offensively, but it wasn't indicative of terrible defense in my opinion.

That said, given their recent history, I understand anyone who wants to correlate the pacers effective offense in game 1 to the Cavs defense.

It did look better but the rim protection is an issue. I thought the Pacers (especially PG) made some tough shots. The effort is getting better but it still needs to vastly improve IMO

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you are saying- but a guy like Paul George can make everyone better.

They do have some "microwave" talent on the Pacers too- guys that if you let them get hot can put up some major points like Teague and Ellis and Miles---- which is dangerous in a playoff series.

Plus- the Cavs have never played well in Indy.

but- i mean- you are right in that- the Cavs shouldnt go passed a max. 5 games against this team.

I can agree with this.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first thought was probably I AM going to take the last shot,

This may be why the pass wasn't thrown. PG-13 was set to take the shot and if he saw Lance at all, it was probably too late by then. Had he thrown it when Lance first was open, then the pass gets through and it's a matter of how quickly he can get the shot off vs. how quickly Lebron can get there to challenge it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a non-sports related topic for a moment...Trump buys his toupees from Mexico. Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, so basically they have superstar and a bunch of pretty good role players...sounds like the C's.

You need more than one superstar in this game today to win it all. I mean I think the Spurs can win it but they are unlike any other team. They have one star, a very very good player in LA, then a bunch of veterans who know how to win.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, so basically they have superstar and a bunch of pretty good role players...sounds like the C's.

You need more than one superstar in this game today to win it all. I mean I think the Spurs can win it but they are unlike any other team. They have one star, a very very good player in LA, then a bunch of veterans who know how to win.

Plus, they have Pop.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They also have Popovich who some could argue is the greatest coach ever in the NBA.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have Popovich who some could argue is the greatest coach ever in the NBA.

No doubt Pop's a pretty good HC but he's no Tyronn Lue.