• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: 4) Suns vs 5) Clippers

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool.
This is the first time hearing this for me.
I do recall some other cities being mentioned last year...just never thought they'd stay in LA.
Yeah, you don’t spend 2 billion on something and then move it to Seattle.

Ballmer is doing good things.

I became a Clippers fan because we used to get free tickets from school.

So, it makes me very happy that Ballmer intends to continue this tradition and has made a 51 row student section called the Wall.

It’s right behind the visitors bench….lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.
That could work...but they'd still be playing in the shadow of the Lakers.
Which is why I mentioned those other possible locations.

I mean that would seem logical. Seattle would be perfect for them.

But they would lose the 'Clippers' name and be the new Sonics.

In fact, they would be welcomed with open arms and have a whole city love them (as opposed to LA where it'll always be a Laker town)

But for some reason it won't happen. It's too late now any way.

The irony is, the Ballmers live near Seattle!!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fact, they would be welcomed with open arms and have a whole city love them (as opposed to LA where it'll always be a Laker town)

I've said for years that they should have moved to Anaheim back when The Pond was being built. The city all but begged the Clippers to move there. They wanted to create a whole experience (shopping, restaurants, etc.) around the Angels, Ducks and Clippers.

They actually have/had a bit of a fanbase there because they used to play a couple of games or so at The Pond every year and, at the time...The Pond was state of the art.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes man. Another bad injury at a horrible time, not just bc of the playoffs but bc of the trade opportunity now flushed down the toilet. They could have at least pursued a trade to get some value back for Kawhi. Play it out now...wonder how much he will miss of next season too

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said for years that they should have moved to Anaheim back when The Pond was being built. The city all but begged the Clippers to move there. They wanted to create a whole experience (shopping, restaurants, etc.) around the Angels, Ducks and Clippers.

They actually have/had a bit of a fanbase there because they used to play a couple of games or so at The Pond every year and, at the time...The Pond was state of the art.
Dude, you live in California.

So, you are aware there is a huge difference between LA and Orange County.

Unless you mean, abandon the folks that have supported you to pander to elitists, they would not expand their fan base in Anaheim.

Let’s be honest here….

I am not referring to the size, more the demographics and tax bracket.

Imagine that repulsive , gang banging subset of Dodgers fans, who are some of the most low rent, despicable, violent fucking tards on planet earth, coming to Orange County in droves for 41 games every year.…lol

That’s the way the OC would view Clippers fans.

You can’t take corner Compton kids to South Coast Plaza and not expect someone to call the cops.

Again, I am referring to the actual Clipper fans, not the folks going to the Arena to cheer the opposition.

The Pond was nice.

But, Ballmer doesn’t need to rent a room in someone else’s duplex.

He’s building his own neighborhood.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can’t compare Southern California to Seattle.

I spent some time there.

It’s pretty.

But, I also understand why the suicide rate is what it is.

Something worth a million dollars in Seattle is likely worth 5x’s that in LA.

It really isn’t that hard to understand from a business perspective.

Lakers are leasing from AEG.

They don’t profit from concessions, parking, concert venues , LA live restaurants etc.

Ballmer gets all that and land development for housing at LA prices.

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank the Warriors for giving Ballmer inspiration.

The Lakers currently share the arena with both the Los Angeles Clippers and the NHL's Los Angeles Kings. That makes scheduling difficult as the arena needs to accommodate more teams than any other, but those issues will be eased in a few years, when the Clippers move into their new Inglewood arena. The Lakers reportedly considered a similar move to build their own arena in the area, which is where they played before leaving the Forum.

But the situation is complicated because of their ownership structure. AEG owns both the Staples Center and a significant chunk of the Lakers, and losing both the Lakers and Clippers would significantly eat into their stadium revenues. While the exact terms of the lease are not known, the Lakers are not believed to profit in the arena's corporate sponsorships, parking or food and beverage revenues, according to Wharton. The Clippers, by operating their own arena, will be able to do so. The other advantage of building a separate arena is the land development surrounding it. The Golden State Warriors have taken advantage of this in San Francisco by building a significant amount of office space that they are leasing out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you live in California.

So, you are aware there is a huge difference between LA and Orange County.

Unless you mean, abandon the folks that have supported you to pander to elitists, they would not expand their fan base in Anaheim.

Let’s be honest here….

I am not referring to the size, more the demographics and tax bracket.

Imagine that repulsive , gang banging subset of Dodgers fans, who are some of the most low rent, despicable, violent fucking tards on planet earth, coming to Orange County in droves for 41 games every year.…lol

That’s the way the OC would view Clippers fans.

You can’t take corner Compton kids to South Coast Plaza and not expect someone to call the cops.

Again, I am referring to the actual Clipper fans, not the folks going to the Arena to cheer the opposition.

The Pond was nice.

But, Ballmer doesn’t need to rent a room in someone else’s duplex.

He’s building his own neighborhood.

I disagree. The Clippers games were always far better attended at The Pond than they ever were at the Sports Arena. There was actually a bit of a fanbase to build from because the Clippers actually paid attention to Orange County, the Lakers never did.

I knew some, what I'll call "lukewarm Lakers fans" who would have jumped on the Clippers bandwagon, there were also quite a few who had the Clippers as their 2nd favorite team.

It's not like staying in LA and competing directly with the Lakers has worked. Not jumping in on that deal was among Sterlings biggest mistakes, imo.

Obviously, it would be too late for them to move to OC now since Ballmer already has the current arena being built. Not sure they'd get the same response anymore anyway. I don't think they have played in OC since they moved to Staples.

And Ballmers gonna need to do a whole lot more than build a nice house if he ever wants to actually compete with the Lakers.

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The Clippers games were always far better attended at The Pond than they ever were at the Sports Arena. There was actually a bit of a fanbase to build from because the Clippers actually paid attention to Orange County, the Lakers never did.

I knew some, what I'll call "lukewarm Lakers fans" who would have jumped on the Clippers bandwagon, there were also quite a few who had the Clippers as their 2nd favorite team.

It's not like staying in LA and competing directly with the Lakers has worked. Not jumping in on that deal was among Sterlings biggest mistakes, imo.

Obviously, it would be too late for them to move to OC now since Ballmer already has the current arena being built. Not sure they'd get the same response anymore anyway. I don't think they have played in OC since they moved to Staples.

And Ballmers gonna need to do a whole lot more than build a nice house if he ever wants to actually compete with the Lakers.
The Clippers played like 8 games a year at the pond.

It was a novelty, which is why people showed up.

Its like the NBA games played in Mexico and Paris.

That shit wasn’t sustainable.

As for building a nice house, Uh….that’s just being a smart business man.

Why pay rent when you can own the entire block and charge everyone else?

Also, how can a 13.5 million dollar investment, netting shitbird Sterling 2 billion when forced to sell be seen as a missed opportunity?