• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: 3) Milwaukee Bucks vs 6) Miami Heat

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then allow me to explain......you are comparing a rule that has a direct affect on each possession (the shot clock) to a rule that wont affect the outcome of a game

It's a rule that can absolutely effect the outcome of a game and it's in place for essentially the same reason as the 24 second clock.

The rule serves it's purpose.....it stops people from abusing it by going way over

So does the 24 second clock. Yet there's no "leeway". Also, no leeway on the 8 second rule which also "doesn't effect the outcome of a game".

You made the claim it's a rule so it needs to be enforced. So is the speed limit, and it seems you are OK they don't hold people to the letter of the law on that. Are you now saying only in the NBA do rules need to be strictly enforced? Since I'm sure you know there have been guys in the lane more than 3 seconds and gotten away with it are you also saying only in the NBA on 1 rule that affects nothing, really, and many probably don't even know about it?

Come up with an actual basketball example or run along. Not getting into your bullshit hypotheticals that have nothing to do with the actual discussion.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd feed the narrative more by making the call there than if you don't.

lol

No it wouldn't. It would be actually enforcing the rule evenly. The narrative is that the NBA rigs game by picking and choosing when to apply a rule and who to apply the rule to.

In fact, by calling that on Giannis, it's the opposite of the narrative because the rule was applied to a superstar during a playoff game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a rule that can absolutely effect the outcome of a game and it's in place for essentially the same reason as the 24 second clock.
How so? Let's say we decide Giannis gets 11 seconds (which is sort of how it is). Has that affected Bucks' win totals?

I get that we all like to put our stake in the ground and then argue forever but this one is stupid. They don't call every travel either or the games would have scores of 54-43.

This is very much like a speed limit. If you don't have a speed limit, everyone goes too fast. If you do, it anchors where people know how fast to drive, and it still works if you let people go 37 mph in a 35 zone. The rule just lets the players know you can't be up there forever. Almost no one gets even close.

Now that being said, if Giannis really does always go over, it needs to start being called, because he's the exception to 'almost no one'. So if he does it once in a while, no big deal. If he does it every time, start calling it until he stops.

There's room for nuance in how games are officiated.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So does the 24 second clock. Yet there's no "leeway". Also, no leeway on the 8 second rule which also "doesn't effect the outcome of a game".

Come up with an actual basketball example or run along. Not getting into your bullshit hypotheticals that have nothing to do with the actual discussion.
In order of your irrational again.....

You think the 24 second clock where there is a defense trying to stop the other team is the same as a clock (where no one sees a clock) for a guy taking a free shot? Oh my.

again, there is defense being played on the 24 second and 8 second clocks.

Is that your warning to have me save you from yourself?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

No it wouldn't. It would be actually enforcing the rule evenly. The narrative is that the NBA rigs game by picking and choosing when to apply a rule and who to apply the rule to.

In fact, by calling that on Giannis, it's the opposite of the narrative because the rule was applied to a superstar during a playoff game.
It would be enforcing a rule that is almost never enforced, and doing so against a small market team in this case. You really don't pay attention to the conspiracy theory crowd do ya?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? Let's say we decide Giannis gets 11 seconds (which is sort of how it is). Has that affected Bucks' win totals?

Suppose he makes 3 or 4 free throws late in a close game that would have been disallowed if the rule were applied? You don't think that could make a difference in a win or a loss? I don't know how much it has effected the Bucks win totals because it hasn't been counted.

Also, it doesn't matter how much it adds to their win total. In the right circumstance, just adding 1 win to their total could be pretty bad if it happened to be in an elimination game in the playoffs. In fact, you could make the case that it would be more likely to have an effect in the playoffs because the games are generally closer.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose he makes 3 or 4 free throws late in a close game that would have been disallowed if the rule were applied? You don't think that could make a difference in a win or a loss? I don't know how much it has effected the Bucks win totals because it hasn't been counted.

Also, it doesn't matter how much it adds to their win total. In the right circumstance, just adding 1 win to their total could be pretty bad if it happened to be in an elimination game in the playoffs. In fact, you could make the case that it would be more likely to have an effect in the playoffs because the games are generally closer.
You in favor of calling every travelling violation too? Those for sure affect outcomes a hell of a lot more.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be enforcing a rule that is almost never enforced, and doing so against a small market team in this case. You really don't pay attention to the conspiracy theory crowd do ya?

It was called (which is why it's being discussed) and it was called against a small market.

What conspiracy theory? I'm saying that openly refusing to enforce a rule (in this case against a superstar) while the violation is actively being pointed out on national tv feeds the very narrative that the NBA and it's fans have been trying to stop.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was called (which is why it's being discussed) and it was called against a small market.

What conspiracy theory? I'm saying that openly refusing to enforce a rule (in this case against a superstar) while the violation is actively being pointed out on national tv feeds the very narrative that the NBA and it's fans have been trying to stop.
I do agree that since Giannis has been abusing the rule, it's good they are calling it. He will likely stop. Is there any other player that goes over the limit?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You in favor of calling every travelling violation too? Those for sure affect outcomes a hell of a lot more.

Yeah, this comparison doesn't work. A travel call is much harder to get right because of how fast these players are and what they are able to do athletically. The 10 second rule is literally just counting to 10.

And ftr, yes, traveling should be called, every time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that since Giannis has been abusing the rule, it's good they are calling it. He will likely stop. Is there any other player that goes over the limit?

I have no idea and I don't really care. I don't care if the keep the rule, get rid of it or tweak it. My point is how it makes the league look and the narrative it feeds.

Honestly, until it was called on Giannis, I never noticed, even with him.

I can think of a few guys throughout league history that putting a clock on would be interesting. Karl Malone for 1. He used to have a conversation with his imaginary friend or something before shooting a free throw. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this comparison doesn't work. A travel call is much harder to get right because of how fast these players are and what they are able to do athletically. The 10 second rule is literally just counting to 10.

And ftr, yes, traveling should be called, every time.
That would ruin the sport

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea and I don't really care. I don't care if the keep the rule, get rid of it or tweak it. My point is how it makes the league look and the narrative it feeds.

Honestly, until it was called on Giannis, I never noticed, even with him.

I can think of a few guys throughout league history that putting a clock on would be interesting. Karl Malone for 1. He used to have a conversation with his imaginary friend or something before shooting a free throw. lol
But Karl didn't take 10 seconds even with that. If you never noticed it, it's working. Now they're calling it on Giannis and he'll stop and we'll go back to not noticing it again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Karl didn't take 10 seconds even with that. If you never noticed it, it's working. Now they're calling it on Giannis and he'll stop and we'll go back to not noticing it again.

They only called it once that I saw and they didn't call it again even with Heat fans literally counting it out for them and knowing that reporters were also timing him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They only called it once that I saw and they didn't call it again even with Heat fans literally counting it out for them and knowing that reporters were also timing him.
I can't find a way to get worked up over it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find a way to get worked up over it.

Who's worked up over it besides some Heat fans? I just happen to agree that the rule should be enforced if they're going to have it. My guess is that if it were ever shown to have effected the outcome of a game, especially a playoff game...you'd find lots of people worked up over it. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's worked up over it besides some Heat fans? I just happen to agree that the rule should be enforced if they're going to have it. My guess is that if it were ever shown to have effected the outcome of a game, especially a playoff game...you'd find lots of people worked up over it. lol
Good luck with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Suppose he is allowed too much time and misses late in a close game? You get this is possible, too, right?