• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 Game Proposal (Not My Suggestion)

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 18 game sched was ALWAYS a bad idea considering the amount of injuries that get racked up per season. imo they should actually cut back on preseason games as well. just sayin'...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah never been a fan of the 18 game season. Seeing how many Bronco players are injured just after 3 games into the season makes me cringe at the thought of 18 games. They would have to increase the roster size by quite a bit and I would think increase the player salaries by quite a bit considering how much this would shorten their careers. I would say only way this happens is if you get rid of almost the full preseason which I don't want to see because it is about the only chance to see some of the guys your team is trying to develop and gives the starters a chance to ease into the season and then also eliminate the Pro Bowl. The less unnecessary games players would have to play is about the only way they would maybe get on board with this idea but even then I can't see any of the players unless they are offered double their salaries going for this idea.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case no one read the article because the idea is obvious in getting the league more money: The idea was to allow players to play only 16 games but have 18 games on the schedule. So you have to choose which players to play in each game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case no one read the article because the idea is obvious in getting the league more money: The idea was to allow players to play only 16 games but have 18 games on the schedule. So you have to choose which players to play in each game.

To me then you lose the quality that comes from 16 games. As a Bronco fan obviously watching Peyton Manning means a lot more than seeing Brock Osweiler play. I understand the thought as it would then keep players healthy but like I said then the quality goes down especially when the starting quarterback is out. I think teams would have to discuss before hand having a back up verse a back up kind of thing. The whole thing just stinks of greed. Why can't the NFL just figure out how to increase the quality of the 16 games to continue to maximize the value of just those games. Look at what Fantasy Football did for the game. They didn't have to change anything of the actual game itself but added a new element that kept fans interested in every game not just their team's game. I am sure they can figure something out like that compared to adding on 2 extra games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me then you lose the quality that comes from 16 games. As a Bronco fan obviously watching Peyton Manning means a lot more than seeing Brock Osweiler play. I understand the thought as it would then keep players healthy but like I said then the quality goes down especially when the starting quarterback is out. I think teams would have to discuss before hand having a back up verse a back up kind of thing. The whole thing just stinks of greed. Why can't the NFL just figure out how to increase the quality of the 16 games to continue to maximize the value of just those games. Look at what Fantasy Football did for the game. They didn't have to change anything of the actual game itself but added a new element that kept fans interested in every game not just their team's game. I am sure they can figure something out like that compared to adding on 2 extra games.

Yeah, this year, they'd sit Manning for the Jacksonville game. I would guess that they would save the second mandatory sit for the last game against Oakland - not because Oakland will necessary be the second easiest game to win, but rather, you might have already secured the division by then.

As an opposing team, would you see sitting Manning against, say, Tennessee instead to be bulletin board material? (I listed Tennessee because they are an ok-to-good team that could win (especially if Manning had to sit) and Manning has a homecoming that week).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would choosing to rest someone be like Prisoner's dilemma, where both team will benefit if both rest their starters or both play them but would be screwed if you guessed wrong? Yes, I am aware that you don't have to take out all starters from the same game, you could stagger it - have the best punter take the day off but keep on your field goal kicker and switch for a game, play Houston and Poe when the Daniel is in, but why not just go full backup if you are a team who is lost without their starting QB? Get the loss over with. In fact, can you just forfeit a meaningless game to prevent injury to depth? I mean, players would still be playing only 16 games. For a team who clinched a division, why not? Sure, it would give depth experience and that's important, even in playoffs, but having them healthy is too.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as I would like to see the 18 game schedule. I do know how injuries would happen more. I say they take away a few pre season useless games if they do anything

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article - still a bad idea

I think most people posting in here are football lovers, and myself particularly an NFL head.

I understand the owners wanting to see revenue/profits continue to rise, but they run the risk of ruining the game by doing so.

Ruining...in a nutshell the quality of play has already been compromised to some degree because 32 teams has pushed the good QB play to the limit. Even with the hardcap and the draft structure there are teams that in September year in, and year out really have no shot at winning a SB...that runs counter to the NFL's parity agenda.

It took the PIT Pirates over 20 yrs to make it back to the playoffs...there are NFL teams that are over a decade removed from their last playoff appearance.

Find another revenue stream...imo 18 games is not it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as I would like to see the 18 game schedule. I do know how injuries would happen more. I say they take away a few pre season useless games if they do anything

Players know they would be cutting a year or two off careers pretty much across the board...much like MLB will never agree to a salary cap, imo NFL players would be stupid to agree to an 18 game season.