• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

16 year old junior prospect collapses and dies during training camp. :(

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
wow. that's just awful.
being very early in camp, I wonder if it was an exertion thing.

I remember even in Junior B try-out camps they used to bag skate you right off the start, and keep going until someone puked. That person was cut immediately, and then the camp could commence. Didn't seem incredibly healthy thing to do, but it seemed to be a popular tradition.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. that's just awful.

I remember even in Junior B try-out camps they used to bag skate you right off the start, and keep going until someone puked. That person was cut immediately, and then the camp could commence. Didn't seem incredibly healthy thing to do, but it seemed to be a popular tradition.

So true. I remember this as far back as Bantam. Wind sprints were brutal.

I hope this wasn't the cause. Coaches can push kids too far and some kids just won't give up. It's a slightly dangerous culture.

As a guy who's getting older I just feel for the parents.

R.I.P. master Boyd.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. that's just awful.

I hope that's not what happened too. But if it is then perhaps that method will change. It doesn't seem healthy at all. I honestly don't think I could puke as a result of that kind of skate no matter how hard it got and no matter how out of shape I happened to be. I think all sorts of other things would go wrong but I'm not really a puker so I don't know how something like that would end for me if someone else didn't puke before I got to my limit.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I hope that's not what happened too. But if it is then perhaps that method will change. It doesn't seem healthy at all. I honestly don't think I could puke as a result of that kind of skate no matter how hard it got and no matter how out of shape I happened to be. I think all sorts of other things would go wrong but I'm not really a puker so I don't know how something like that would end for me if someone else didn't puke before I got to my limit.

yeah, i don't think fitness/endurance testing was the main goal for that tradition.
it was a sacrificial lamb for the coaches to let everyone know that they meant business.
pretty barbaric, but that's the way it was.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, i don't think fitness/endurance testing was the main goal for that tradition.
it was a sacrificial lamb for the coaches to let everyone know that they meant business.
pretty barbaric, but that's the way it was.

Agreed. If it was designed as a fitness exercise it was misplaced. Cardio training needs extending heart rate elevation.

I know that interval training is big now but it wasn`t when I was a kid.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had an assistant who worked with the D when I was younger. Every once in a while, when he was in a bad mood, the D would have a practice where he'd tell them they were gonna skate until someone puked.

Made me happy I was a goalie :yahoo:

/Don't think the ice crew liked it very much either.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a nice little tribute that someone had made:

It's just a bit annoying at first when you're trying to listen to people talk but there is singing at pretty much the same volume happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty certain this was cardiomyopathy...and it's not really on the coaches. It's a silent killer because the first sign of having it is death. There's no warning signs, just collapse. Over exertion will trigger it, but it could be something as simple as a few sprints that does it.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty certain this was cardiomyopathy...and it's not really on the coaches. It's a silent killer because the first sign of having it is death. There's no warning signs, just collapse. Over exertion will trigger it, but it could be something as simple as a few sprints that does it.

I'd say that I agree with you but that would imply that I know anything about this sort of thing. My dad however is a doctor for 1 of the other teams in the league (Anyone wanna guess which one? ;) ) and I seem to remember him saying something similar. He said it's extremely unlikely their doctors or coaches would have done anything wrong.