• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

15 HoF finalists. Who gets in?

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Atwater isnt a finalist but should have been in years ago. The HOF voting is a joke. Tim Brown should have been in years ago as well.

Agree on both accounts.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Walter Jones is in the discussion for greatest LT of all time. He's a lock.

Brooks is in the discussion for top 2 or 3 OLBs if all time.

Strahan is in the discussion for top 5 DE of all time.

Harrison is in the discussion for top 5 WR of all time.

The only other names that stand out as one of the all-time best are Will Shields & Aneas Williams (it's hard to compare an owner to a player, so I'm omitting Debartelo). Maybe Kevin Greene, but I don't think he's one of the 5 best LBs of all time. And I don't think Haley is in that level either.

Hard to compare a kicker to other positions as well, but Morten Andersen might be the best 5th option IMO.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only other names that stand out as one of the all-time best are Will Shields & Aneas Williams (it's hard to compare an owner to a player, so I'm omitting Debartelo). Maybe Kevin Greene, but I don't think he's one of the 5 best LBs of all time. And I don't think Haley is in that level either.

Hard to compare a kicker to other positions as well, but Morten Andersen might be the best 5th option IMO.

Wow these are the 4 that I have also, although I'm not sure Walter Jones has the name recognition, but he should. Aneas Williams would be the fifth, after that it's the Hall of Very Good.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Edward DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Jerome Bettis should get in. This is his 3rd try at it and if he doesn't make it this time he might not.

I think Tony Dungy gets in. If he doesn't it get in it's because the sports writers feel he might want to come back and coach again. (pssst..he played as a Steeler, by the way).

Kevin Greene. Should have been in already. 160 sacks.

Marvin Harrison.

Charles Haley

Tim Brown

Highlighted my 5...very tough call with Tim Brown and Reed, but being the main WR on team that went to 4 consecutive SBs (and having 2 HOF teammates in) tilts the vote to Reed.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow these are the 4 that I have also, although I'm not sure Walter Jones has the name recognition, but he should. Aneas Williams would be the fifth, after that it's the Hall of Very Good.

I lot of people are forgetting how good Reed was...considering his DE, RB & QB, are in I think he should be as well...all were dominant for a decade plus.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a pretty good take. The only thing I disagree with is Anderson. Not big on kickers getting in... maybe Vinatieri when he becomes eligible.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the Hell of it, how good are Harrison's playoff stats? How many teams were beating down the door to sign him when he was done in Indy? Guys like Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, and T.O. could get work past their primes, but not Harrison? Ever wonder why? What's his difinitive big game moment we see in NFL Films highlights every year? You know, up there with "The Catch" and Swann's Super Bowl acrobatics.

I'm not so sure he's a slam dunk here.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the Hell of it, how good are Harrison's playoff stats? How many teams were beating down the door to sign him when he was done in Indy? Guys like Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, and T.O. could get work past their primes, but not Harrison? Ever wonder why? What's his difinitive big game moment we see in NFL Films highlights every year? You know, up there with "The Catch" and Swann's Super Bowl acrobatics.

Very good player for a long time Harrison was, but when he was finished, I think he was finished and some off the field issues, possibly connected to a murder I think.,

IMO...Reed is the only WR of these finalists that should get in with Tim Brown being a close 2nd to him.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lot of people are forgetting how good Reed was...considering his DE, RB & QB, are in I think he should be as well...all were dominant for a decade plus.

He was good, no question. He was dependable and consistent, but IMO he's not quite HOF material. Defintely don't think he should be in because he has other teammates already in the HOF. Reed has the numbers but they are a bit compiled (since he played a long time). He never lead the NFL in any one stat and was never voted 1st team All-Pro. IMO, Irvin, Eller, Clayton, Clark, and obviously Rice were better than him during his time and that's off the top of my head. Some of those are guys are in the HOF and some aren't. I think of Reed more as comparable to an Art Monk, Irving Fryar or a Drew Pearson type. Monk is in the hall so Reed will probably get there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was good, no question. He was dependable and consistent, but IMO he's not quite HOF material. Defintely don't think he should be in because he has other teammates already in the HOF. Reed has the numbers but they are a bit compiled (since he played a long time). He never lead the NFL in any one stat and was never voted 1st team All-Pro. IMO, Irvin, Eller, Clayton, Clark, and obviously Rice were better than him during his time and that's off the top of my head. Some of those are guys are in the HOF and some aren't. I think of Reed more as comparable to an Art Monk, Irving Fryar or a Drew Pearson type. Monk is in the hall so Reed will probably get there.

Agree he shouldn't get in because his team mates did, the point there is all were outstanding players at the respective positions...Reed was as well...of the guys that you mentioned...Irvin and Rice clearly were better and are in, as they should be...Eller, Clayton...idk if I agree with that, but debatable. Longevity is typically a positive when it comes to the HOF.

I think Reed will get in also.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Edward DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

Jerome Bettis should get in. This is his 3rd try at it and if he doesn't make it this time he might not.

I think Tony Dungy gets in. If he doesn't it get in it's because the sports writers feel he might want to come back and coach again. (pssst..he played as a Steeler, by the way).

Kevin Greene. Should have been in already. 160 sacks.

Marvin Harrison.

Charles Haley

Tim Brown

Jerome Bettis
Kevin Green
Aeneas Williams
Derrick Brooks
Will Shields/Charles Haley... hard choice

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jerome Bettis
Kevin Green
Aeneas Williams
Derrick Brooks
Will Shields/Charles Haley... hard choice

Jerome Bettis over Walter Jones???

Walter Jones is one of the best LTs who ever played. Jerome Bettis wasn't even the best RB in the NFL in his best year.

And I don't know how Marvin Harrison gets so little love. The guy was a QB's dream. One of the 5 best WRs who ever played easily.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm very surprised Haley isn't in already. He was a difference maker on 5 Super Bowl Championship teams.

He should've gotten in over Curtis Martin in 2012 IMO, but it's not like an egregious snub. The 2013 class was really strong, and so is the 2014 class.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, because that doesnt count for much. :rollseyes:

They should count for something just think when a player is being considered for the HOF they should have at some point in their career been considered one of the top 2 or so at their position at the very least. Or at least been top 5 for most of their career. Bettis just happened to avoid the injury bug that many others at some point suffer.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was 37. Moss was done at 35. Johnson & Holt were done at 33. TO was 37 his last season. Not sure what you're talking about here. I wouldn't hold being done at 37 against him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very surprised Haley isn't in already. He was a difference maker on 5 Super Bowl Championship teams.

So now we're giving credit to DEs for rings ??? Please stop the madness. :gaah:

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we're giving credit to DEs for rings ??? Please stop the madness. :gaah:

Agreed there are far to many players in the hall because of rings already. Guys like Leslie O'Neal and Clyde Simmons should be getting a look before he does. His career looks an awful lot like Neil Smiths without the hopping around between already great 49er and Cowboys teams.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Hall of Fame, not the hall of very good. Ban the bus!