• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not give up Konecny, Ghost, a prospect and a 1st+ for Erik Karlsson. I could probably part with Sanheim, a prospect or two, then a 1st and a 3rd in 2019. If Ottawa wouldn't take that, there's not much more I'd be willing to part with. No Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, Ghost, Hart or Frost in the deal either.

Obviously it would be a sign and trade deal too, with Karlsson signing a lengthy extension.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Konecny could be a 40 goal man. We just don't know yet. He had 20 goals in just the second half of this past season, so it's very possible in the future. You'd be crazy to include him in a deal for Karlsson (28) when he's only 21 years old.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Konecny could be a 40 goal man. We just don't know yet. He had 20 goals in just the second half of this past season, so it's very possible in the future. You'd be crazy to include him in a deal for Karlsson (28) when he's only 21 years old.

I'd go Simmonds ,prospect,and picks.No way do you give up TK,and the other guys you mentioned.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go Simmonds ,prospect,and picks.No way do you give up TK,and the other guys you mentioned.

Well, they probably want younger guys instead of Simmonds. I'd be willing to part with guys like Sanheim, Sandstrom or Rubtsov, and any of our picks, but that is where the discussion with Ottawa about Karlsson ends.

We're in a position of strength where we have all of these picks and prospects plus a team that is already expected to make the playoffs. No need at all to trade away a couple of our established starters and top prospects for Karlsson. We already have a number one in Provorov and then Ghost, who can pretty much stuff the scoresheet just like Karlsson.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not give up Konecny, Ghost, a prospect and a 1st+ for Erik Karlsson. I could probably part with Sanheim, a prospect or two, then a 1st and a 3rd in 2019. If Ottawa wouldn't take that, there's not much more I'd be willing to part with. No Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, Ghost, Hart or Frost in the deal either.

Obviously it would be a sign and trade deal too, with Karlsson signing a lengthy extension.

Konecny and Frost aren't in the same group as the rest of them for me, (even though Konecny is perhaps my favorite player right now) but I don't see any way the deal happens without Provorov or Ghost going to Ottawa. So I don't think there's much discussion to be had, because I don't think the Flyers have any interest in parting with either of them.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karlsson For
Konecny and Frost aren't in the same group as the rest of them for me, (even though Konecny is perhaps my favorite player right now) but I don't see any way the deal happens without Provorov or Ghost going to Ottawa. So I don't think there's much discussion to be had, because I don't think the Flyers have any interest in parting with either of them.

Just my 2 cents but I don't think they'd hesitate to include Ghost in a deal for Karlsson. That would be a HUGE upgrade for the Flyers. Provorov agreed, no way. If the deal is something like Ghost, a 2nd round-type forward prospect and a 1st, sign me up.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karlsson For

Just my 2 cents but I don't think they'd hesitate to include Ghost in a deal for Karlsson. That would be a HUGE upgrade for the Flyers. Provorov agreed, no way. If the deal is something like Ghost, a 2nd round-type forward prospect and a 1st, sign me up.

I just think Ghost is an early career Karlsson. He fits the Flyers timeline, and more importantly cap situation, better than Karlsson does.

Karlssons first 3 seasons (age 19-21)
60gp, 26pts
75gp, 45pts
81gp, 78 pts
- 216gp, .6898ppg

Ghost (age 22-24)
64gp, 46pts
76gp, 39pts
78gp, 65pts
- 218gp, .6881ppg

There's obviously a little bit of discrepancy because Ghost was a few years older at the start of his career (and has had a Giroux run PP to feast off of), but those numbers are shockingly similar. Is 3 years older and probably $6.5M in cap space over the next 4 years (not including the upcoming season) worth Karlsson over Ghost? I can certainly entertain the idea. I do think Karlsson is significantly better than Ghost, but I wouldn't do the deal I don't think. I like Ghost's fit on the timeline and I like the flexibility his 4.5M cap hit through 2023 gives the team in what I think will be their peak years. It's not just a Ghost vs. Karlsson thing, it's Ghost + a 6.5M player vs. Karlsson.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's obviously a little bit of discrepancy because Ghost was a few years older at the start of his career (and has had a Giroux run PP to feast off of), but those numbers are shockingly similar. Is 3 years older and probably $6.5M in cap space over the next 4 years (not including the upcoming season) worth Karlsson over Ghost? I can certainly entertain the idea. I do think Karlsson is significantly better than Ghost, but I wouldn't do the deal I don't think. I like Ghost's fit on the timeline and I like the flexibility his 4.5M cap hit through 2023 gives the team in what I think will be their peak years. It's not just a Ghost vs. Karlsson thing, it's Ghost + a 6.5M player vs. Karlsson.

Yes, based off of regular season stats I understand reaching that conclusion. However, Ghost was absolutely abused in the playoffs (minus 8 or 9 in 6 games, I think, with no offensive production), something that has never happened with Karlsson. Give me playoff performers over regular season wonders any day. Still, I get what you're saying and that's where it's up to Hextall and Co. to make the best decision and show why they are where they are and we are, well, here... :suds:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, based off of regular season stats I understand reaching that conclusion. However, Ghost was absolutely abused in the playoffs (minus 8 or 9 in 6 games, I think, with no offensive production), something that has never happened with Karlsson. Give me playoff performers over regular season wonders any day. Still, I get what you're saying and that's where it's up to Hextall and Co. to make the best decision and show why they are where they are and we are, well, here... :suds:
I get what you are saying but Ghost may become a stud playoff player moving forward. He's young still. Obviously karlsson is a proven player but you would pay heavily for it. I'd take my chances with Ghost and use the money to upgrade depth. Sanheim could also turn the corner next season but Ghost has already shown it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some small playoff sample sizes both ways to be fair :)

Karlsson's first two playoff appearances:
6gp, 6pts, -4
7gp, 1pt, 0

(he's only played 48 playoff games in his career also, was + for the playoffs just once, in 2016-17 where he was objectively fantastic. That was also 8 years in to his career. "Playoff performer" might be a bit of a stretch, he's had one playoff appearance that qualified :))

Ghost's only 2 playoff appearances
6gp, 2pts, 0
6gp, 0pts, -8

Ghost has all of 12 games played in the playoffs. I'm not going to judge him on that. Especially when the Flyers as a whole were outscored 28-13 in the 6 games that were the real blemish for Ghost. Giroux was -10 and Provorov wasn't a ton better at -6.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's where it's up to Hextall and Co. to make the best decision and show why they are where they are and we are, well, here... :suds:

And I still say that's just luck ;)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers sign Folin for depth on d. RHD guy, SHOULD mostly be the 7. But Hakstol is also nuts.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost has all of 12 games played in the playoffs. I'm not going to judge him on that. Especially when the Flyers as a whole were outscored 28-13 in the 6 games that were the real blemish for Ghost. Giroux was -10 and Provorov wasn't a ton better at -6.

I remember watching some of that Ottawa-Pittsburgh series back in 2010, and you could tell then that Karlsson was going to be a special player despite the minus 4. He absolutely dominated on the PP, was still a work in progress 5 on 5. In this year's playoffs Ghost (and several others) looked like AHL players, and that's probably an insult to AHL players. Despite his stats, Provorov played well until the final game when he was playing hurt. As you always say, it's not just analytics it's a combo of analytics and the eye test. Ghost was awful, there's no hiding it. Small sample size yes and I certainly don't want to give him away, but in a smart deal to get Karlsson? See ya!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers sign Folin for depth on d. RHD guy, SHOULD mostly be the 7. But Hakstol is also nuts.

Weren't the Flyers going after him pretty hard when he came out of college as a free agent?