• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Pens vs. #7 Sens---2nd round series thread

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read through this thread. Why do some of you even follow hockey? There will be bad calls, get over it.

And for all the whining, what were the powerplay opportunities when the game was still in reach? 3 opportunities to 2 Calls are bad for both teams - that Cooke "slash" was about as soft as it gets.

I hijacked the thread.

Sorry.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever...we all know Gary wants his precious Sidney in the Finals

And imagine, the ECF will be the team that was gifted Iginla against the team that thought they were gifted Iginla.

The Sens completely stopped playing for a few stretches there and the Pens certainly made them pay.

I haven't seen Ottawa stand around like this all year. I think many of their young players and freezing under the pressure.

They flat out gave up. Not sure why, but they just quit. Anderson especially.

So ALL the Sens PP chances came when the score was 6 - 2 or 7 - 2?

The Sens had the only PP chance in the 2nd Period when the score was only 3 - 2 Pens.

If they get a PP goal, it's now 3-3, and we have ourselves a whole new game.

Besides, the Sens are now 2-14 on the PP in the series. 2-3 PP goals at the right moments, and this series could be tied up?

It's not what is called and when. Sometimes it's what's NOT called and when. Karlsson is hit away from the play, tied up and takes a stick in the chops. Kunitz scores on a breakaway. In the regular season, that is called 10 times out of 10. So instead of 2-2 tie, it's 2-1 OTT going to the PP. Yeah, the onus is on the Sens to score, but that one play completely destroyed the makeup of the game.

lol, it's not about winning anything. I just hate when people automatically think the refs are screwing teams over or that there is some hidden agenda.

No team can say they haven't been screwed or benefited by a bad call by the refs.

People only want to harp on the bad calls that cost their team, just like how athletes thank God for a win, but never blame him for a loss. (well, except Stevie Johnson...he's a pioneer.)

Ironic from a Sabres fan. :D

But spot on.

What I really cannot stand is the fine line we are walking between sport and soap opera. The league marketing people are latching onto "story lines" like this is the WWE. And they get the talking points into the talking heads so fast that it places legitimate doubt as to whether some of it was written ahead of time.

I love hockey. I think what happens inside that box is dramatic enough. I don't need to be constantly bombarded with reasons why I should care more than the fact that two teams are trying to beat each other.

Who played for who, who played against who, who hates who doesn't mean shit to me. And I don't want to sit in the stands with people who DO give a shit about that.

What sucks is, knowing how marketing schemes work, you just knew the marketing mopes desperately wanted Boston V Pittsburgh in the ECF. The Iginla sweepstakes, Golden boy and all the hardware eligible guys. Jagr vs the team that drafted him. And let's not forget that Boston is like the only city to have terrorism happen solely to them. The marketing copy writes itself. Of course they want it.

So then when friends of the Pens owner get to officiate games and Boston pulls off a miracle (some say storybok) comeback while a team is reeling from a really blatant non call, it's really not that big of a leap to fill in the "story" of it being orchestrated.

I mean, storylines matter, right? Anything to keep people downing the official popcorn and soft drinks of the NHL and tuned into Tits Mcgee on NHL Network.

I miss hockey. Just flat out, hard nosed competition where people leave it all out on the ice. But those days are over. As long as Bettman is in charge, we are selling whatever we can. And if the story isn't there, create it. Anything to keep people talking. All we need now is someone to die on the ice so we will get on CNN and reach a whole new demographic.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really cannot stand is the fine line we are walking between sport and soap opera. The league marketing people are latching onto "story lines" like this is the WWE. And they get the talking points into the talking heads so fast that it places legitimate doubt as to whether some of it was written ahead of time.
I love hockey. I think what happens inside that box is dramatic enough. I don't need to be constantly bombarded with reasons why I should care more than the fact that two teams are trying to beat each other.
Who played for who, who played against who, who hates who doesn't mean shit to me. And I don't want to sit in the stands with people who DO give a shit about that.
What sucks is, knowing how marketing schemes work, you just knew the marketing mopes desperately wanted Boston V Pittsburgh in the ECF. The Iginla sweepstakes, Golden boy and all the hardware eligible guys. Jagr vs the team that drafted him. And let's not forget that Boston is like the only city to have terrorism happen solely to them. The marketing copy writes itself. Of course they want it.
So then when friends of the Pens owner get to officiate games and Boston pulls off a miracle (some say storybok) comeback while a team is reeling from a really blatant non call, it's really not that big of a leap to fill in the "story" of it being orchestrated.
I mean, storylines matter, right? Anything to keep people downing the official popcorn and soft drinks of the NHL and tuned into Tits Mcgee on NHL Network.
I miss hockey. Just flat out, hard nosed competition where people leave it all out on the ice. But those days are over. As long as Bettman is in charge, we are selling whatever we can. And if the story isn't there, create it. Anything to keep people talking. All we need now is someone to die on the ice so we will get on CNN and reach a whole new demographic.

I agree with a good bit of what you have written here, but I just want to say one thing... the idea of story-lines influencing sports isn't a new one. One of the biggest story-lines to ever come along in the sporting world is going to turn 100 years old in just a couple more years... Babe Ruth.

Prior to the Black Sox scandal of 1919, there wasn't any doubt about what was the most popular sport in the US. But after those eight Sox players were barred from playing ball, the MLB took its first serious downturn in popularity. For the first time, many people started to question if the game they loved was legit. Attendance dropped, and people swore off the game. Shortly thereafter, the deadball era came to an abrupt end, and Babe Ruth saved the game.

The way the game was played was changed. Prior to Ruth being a Yankee, the baseball itself was created differently. It wasn't wound as tight, and usually the umpires would only use 3 or 4 balls for an entire game. Pitchers could scuff, spit and spike a ball at their leisure. But a rule change was instituted that the umpires had to start using a new ball if the previous one became worn. Plus, the ball itself was wound tighter, which gave a serious advantage to the hitter. Put all of that together, and Babe Ruth clubbed 54 home runs in 1920. He hit more homers by himself than all but one other team managed for that entire season. Shortly thereafter, the same people who swore off the game came back.

My point with all of this is the marketing slant and how the NHL kind of parallels what took place in baseball almost 100 years ago. Coming out of the 04-05 lockout, the NHL instituted rule changes like the expansion of the interference call, the introduction of the trapezoid and the regular season shootout. They were attempting to cultivate new fans, and recapture old ones by opening up the game to encourage more scoring. By doing this, though... they changed what you mentioned as flat-out hard nosed competition to a game that now glorifies the supremely talented goal scorers and high powered offenses.

It changed the way the game is played. Some don't like it and some do. All it boils down to is the NHL attempting to chase the almighty dollar. They aren't doing anything different from other professional N. American sporting leagues, though. They're all after the same thing. It doesn't make it right, but ultimately the desire is the same... greed.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hate is strong in this thread.... Let's get this bitch locked up and move on to the next thread full of jelly.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are also the two most talented teams in the conference, so they should also provide the highest caliber hockey.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly looks like a Pens - Bruins ECF and who wouldn't want to see a scrap between Iggy and Lucic? I know I would.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a good bit of what you have written here, but I just want to say one thing... the idea of story-lines influencing sports isn't a new one. One of the biggest story-lines to ever come along in the sporting world is going to turn 100 years old in just a couple more years... Babe Ruth.

Prior to the Black Sox scandal of 1919, there wasn't any doubt about what was the most popular sport in the US. But after those eight Sox players were barred from playing ball, the MLB took its first serious downturn in popularity. For the first time, many people started to question if the game they loved was legit. Attendance dropped, and people swore off the game. Shortly thereafter, the deadball era came to an abrupt end, and Babe Ruth saved the game.

The way the game was played was changed. Prior to Ruth being a Yankee, the baseball itself was created differently. It wasn't wound as tight, and usually the umpires would only use 3 or 4 balls for an entire game. Pitchers could scuff, spit and spike a ball at their leisure. But a rule change was instituted that the umpires had to start using a new ball if the previous one became worn. Plus, the ball itself was wound tighter, which gave a serious advantage to the hitter. Put all of that together, and Babe Ruth clubbed 54 home runs in 1920. He hit more homers by himself than all but one other team managed for that entire season. Shortly thereafter, the same people who swore off the game came back.

My point with all of this is the marketing slant and how the NHL kind of parallels what took place in baseball almost 100 years ago. Coming out of the 04-05 lockout, the NHL instituted rule changes like the expansion of the interference call, the introduction of the trapezoid and the regular season shootout. They were attempting to cultivate new fans, and recapture old ones by opening up the game to encourage more scoring. By doing this, though... they changed what you mentioned as flat-out hard nosed competition to a game that now glorifies the supremely talented goal scorers and high powered offenses.

It changed the way the game is played. Some don't like it and some do. All it boils down to is the NHL attempting to chase the almighty dollar. They aren't doing anything different from other professional N. American sporting leagues, though. They're all after the same thing. It doesn't make it right, but ultimately the desire is the same... greed.

:pizza:

So, the key to long term league success is to alter the rules to suit one player's style and promote the shit out of 'em? :D

I just wish we would be allowed to talk about the actual game without all the fluff. The Pens put on a clinic in regards to capitalizing on chances.

We shouldn't be stuck talking about the shady nature of how those chances developed. And talking. And talking. I don't want to doubt the Pens players. I don't even want to hate Crosby, I think he's just as much a victim of this as we all are. Had the game been called tight, the Pens would still have won. And we'd be talking about that. With free conscience.

The game itself should be enough to capture the fans attention. Basketball and NASCAR need storylines. Hockey shouldn't.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, the key to long term league success is to alter the rules to suit one player's style and promote the shit out of 'em? :D

I don't think the rules were specifically altered to suit Ovechkin. And if they were, he sure is doing a horrible job of capitalizing on it :peep:

I just wish we would be allowed to talk about the actual game without all the fluff. The Pens put on a clinic in regards to capitalizing on chances.

We shouldn't be stuck talking about the shady nature of how those chances developed. And talking. And talking. I don't want to doubt the Pens players. I don't even want to hate Crosby, I think he's just as much a victim of this as we all are. Had the game been called tight, the Pens would still have won. And we'd be talking about that. With free conscience.

The game itself should be enough to capture the fans attention. Basketball and NASCAR need storylines. Hockey shouldn't.

Trust me, I wish we could all talk about something else other than the officiating. It is really ironic to me how many fans of other teams have looked at this series and the last and immediately assume that the refs are favoring the Pens. If they could step back and look at it objectively, they could probably see just as many missed calls for the Pens, as well. For instance, next time you see a close-up shot of Kunitz, take note of the stitches on his lip. He took a stick to the face in game two of this series right in front of the linesman. It immediately drew blood, and should have been an automatic four minute minor... but they didn't even call a two minute high stick.

Point being, it's a two way street. The officials are inept. It's not just in this series, but all of them. And it's been this way for a while, now.

All sports in the 21st century will be dominated by storylines. We live in the information and technology age. Shit happens so fast that situations taking place on the ice are being discussed just seconds after they occur on the internet/twitter, etc...

A brave new world

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree but unfortunately all TV ratings are based on grabbing attention and the casual fan/observer needs that type of fluff (well in honesty they don't but the media networks think they do).

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the rules were specifically altered to suit Ovechkin. And if they were, he sure is doing a horrible job of capitalizing on it :peep:

Trust me, I wish we could all talk about something else other than the officiating. It is really ironic to me how many fans of other teams have looked at this series and the last and immediately assume that the refs are favoring the Pens. If they could step back and look at it objectively, they could probably see just as many missed calls for the Pens, as well. For instance, next time you see a close-up shot of Kunitz, take note of the stitches on his lip. He took a stick to the face in game two of this series right in front of the linesman. It immediately drew blood, and should have been an automatic four minute minor... but they didn't even call a two minute high stick.

Point being, it's a two way street. The officials are inept. It's not just in this series, but all of them. And it's been this way for a while, now.

All sports in the 21st century will be dominated by storylines. We live in the information and technology age. Shit happens so fast that situations taking place on the ice are being discussed just seconds after they occur on the internet/twitter, etc...

A brave new world

Yeah that is with any event people stick to only what they want to hear.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHLonTSN: Elias: Crosby hit the 40-goal mark in his 77th career playoff game - faster than any other active player. #TSN

Edit: Iggy has only played 64 playoff games and has 32 tallies.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHLonTSN: Elias: Crosby hit the 40-goal mark in his 77th career playoff game - faster than any other active player. #TSN

Edit: Iggy has only played 64 playoff games and has 32 tallies.

And what a sweet goal it was :clap:

crosbybreakschrisphillips.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Phillips is questionable for game 5 with a slight ankle sprain thanks to #87.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Phillips is questionable for game 5 with a slight ankle sprain thanks to #87.

That's ok, he has a tendancy for own goals in elimination game 5's.