• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1) Houston Rockets vs 5) Utah Jazz

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be an interesting series.

Leaning Rockets in 7 though.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz win

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1 is tomorrow and game 2 is on Wednesday.

No time has been set for game 3 or the rest of series

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rockets are going to make quick work of the Jazz. The Thunder would have been a better matchup for Houston and much better ratings too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rockets are going to make quick work of the Jazz. The Thunder would have been a better matchup for Houston and much better ratings too.

As an NBA fan, I don't care about ratings.

And with the way, an avg offense like Utah carved up OKC defense for most of the series, I don't see why the best offensive team in the league wouldn't do the same

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz may be a small market, but just like the Pelicans, the NBA has done a disservice to these smaller market teams by not promoting some great talent they have. I had no idea about this Mitchell guy until the last game of the season when Utah played Portland.

I had no idea that A.Davis was literally a Pelican amongst parakeets.

I always knew Utah had a great home court advantage and great home fans, so the Utah/Houston series will be intriguing and although I think Houston wins it in 6, I don't think it will be an easy series.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the series going Rockets in 4 or Jazz in 7. The Rockets have much more talent but they still have to show that they aren't a gang of choke artists.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz may be a small market, but just like the Pelicans, the NBA has done a disservice to these smaller market teams by not promoting some great talent they have. I had no idea about this Mitchell guy until the last game of the season when Utah played Portland.

You clearly don't pay attention to enough basketball.

Mitchell was the talk of the league along with Simmons for months so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just because you don't pay attention to the league much doesn't mean they're not talking about these players

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly don't pay attention to enough basketball.

Mitchell was the talk of the league along with Simmons for months so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just because you don't pay attention to the league much doesn't mean they're not talking about these players
I don't pay attention to NBA talk until the playoffs because, again, what's the point of all the investment when we know who the Finals are going to be. Even though these first round series have been fun, we know this thing comes down to the Warriors.

Nonetheless, throughout the year I tune into TNT or ESPN to watch some games, and it's constantly pushing Cavaliers, Warriors, Rockets, OKC, and The Greak Freak.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different articles on Mitchell from December through early February. This obviously doesn't include all the time he was talked about on espn, nbatv, or tnt around the same time period.

Paying attention to the league before April would help....

NBA rookie power rankings: Utah's Donovan Mitchell taking the league by storm

Donovan Mitchell surprised even himself to become the Jazz's unlikely rookie savior

Utah Jazz: Charles Barkley calls Donovan Mitchell best rookie

Rookie Donovan Mitchell surprises many -- including himself -- with his star turn | NBA.com

'He's Going to Be Good for a Long Time'

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz are 36-8 in their last 44 games now.

They are rolling and probably a slightly better team than Houston at this moment.

Homecourt is tough though.

I will go Houston in 7 without much conviction.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different articles on Mitchell from December through early February. This obviously doesn't include all the time he was talked about on espn, nbatv, or tnt around the same time period.

Paying attention to the league before April would help....

NBA rookie power rankings: Utah's Donovan Mitchell taking the league by storm

Donovan Mitchell surprised even himself to become the Jazz's unlikely rookie savior

Utah Jazz: Charles Barkley calls Donovan Mitchell best rookie

Rookie Donovan Mitchell surprises many -- including himself -- with his star turn | NBA.com

'He's Going to Be Good for a Long Time'
Why would one pay attention to the entire league before April? That's like following baseball in June.

Again, no reason to invest all that time and energy to follow a league that you know who the finals are going to be.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't pay attention to NBA talk until the playoffs because, again, what's the point of all the investment when we know who the Finals are going to be.

Well, aside from the fact that I love basketball, I "make the investment" because I like to see great players doing their thing and see the young guys as they develop into the next generation of players. I'd wager that most of the rest of the regulars here are the same.

Also, while I agree that this year and the previous 3-4 years, the finals were pretty much set before the season started, the thing about basketball is that one or 2 players getting hot at the right time (or going cold at the wrong time) can change the predicted outcome of a series/game more easily than in any other sport.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, aside from the fact that I love basketball, I "make the investment" because I like to see great players doing their thing and see the young guys as they develop into the next generation of players. I'd wager that most of the rest of the regulars here are the same.

Also, while I agree that this year and the previous 3-4 years, the finals were pretty much set before the season started, the thing about basketball is that one or 2 players getting hot at the right time (or going cold at the wrong time) can change the predicted outcome of a series/game more easily than in any other sport.
The players in the NBA don't start playing hard and really trying until late march when playoff spots or seeding are on the line and the playoffs. Maybe there are great plays of athletes being athletes throughout the season, but anything that really stands out can be seen on highlights somewhere.

I'll follow the Blazers, and with that I get a feel for how other teams are doing, but I don't go searching everyday on NBA sites to follow teams, I don't tune in every weeknight to non blazer games. So with that, there is no exposure from some of these other teams like Anthony Davis and New Orleans. If I go to espn during the NBA season, the guys on the main page are Greak Freak, LeBron/Cavaliers, Warriors, Rockets, Spurs and OKC. No promotion to other players or teams.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would one pay attention to the entire league before April? That's like following baseball in June.

Again, no reason to invest all that time and energy to follow a league that you know who the finals are going to be.

If you aren't paying attention then how could expect to know about rising stars?

I was at our local cigar shop enjoying a nice Churchill and we were talking about basketball, and I was talking about how the Sixers had a great chance to get to the finals to some guy who clearly doesn't pay much attention until April. And he laughed it off and said maybe in 5 years. Anyone who is watching the actual games knows that they are a LOT closer than that. If not this year then next year they are going to likely be one of the favorites to get to the finals.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough series to predict.

On the one hand, the Rockets have 2 superstars and that's usually what you need to win in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Jazz play great "team basketball" which can make them hard to prepare for.

But, the Rockets 2 superstars and their coach, all have a history of coming up small in the playoffs and Utah seems like the kind of team that could really frustrate them.

Then again, there's not a lot of playoff experience on the Utah roster and experience matters in the playoffs, especially the deeper you go.

Donovan Mitchell is "out of his cotton pickin' mind" lol, but he is also a rookie.

But The Beard can go crazy at any moment and so can CP3...

I'm going with the Rockets in 7 because of HCA. But I wouldn't be shocked to see Utah win, maybe even in 6.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't paying attention then how could expect to know about rising stars?

I was at our local cigar shop enjoying a nice Churchill and we were talking about basketball, and I was talking about how the Sixers had a great chance to get to the finals to some guy who clearly doesn't pay much attention until April. And he laughed it off and said maybe in 5 years. Anyone who is watching the actual games knows that they are a LOT closer than that. If not this year then next year they are going to likely be one of the favorites to get to the finals.

Meh, I know the Sixers are a young group, I occasional check the standings and see they have 40+ wins, I figure they are starting to mesh together. I see them in their first round and realize they could make a run in a couple years with that young core that is building playoff experience.

But I am not going to watch 82 Sixer games when I know there is no chance they are knocking off Golden State.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until these mega super teams start disbanding there isn't much reason to follow very closely an 82 game NBA season. At the end of the day the games that matter are in April, and it's the 4-7 games against that mega super team that are going to be worth watching.

Again, these first rounds are fun because they are close series, but aren't we all just waiting for the Warriors/Rockets WCF, and then the Warriors vs East champ? Which so far cross fingers may actually not be LeBron, but it has been LeBron the last 9 years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's fine but don't make ridiculous statements that you didn't hear about Mitchell until earlier this month when you were not paying attention to the sport before.