• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Top 25 MLB Players of All-Time

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is clueless when it comes to basketball too :laugh3: Maybe he shoud talk football and make it the triple whammy

Last year, he was the only other Georgia fan to post on the NCAAF forums. Trust me, he's retarded about football as well.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And trout is better than bagwell.

Not everytone is treated the same

Please find an example of a 10 year outfielder with 1100 RBIs being inducted into the HOF.
Experience and observation comes in handy from time to time.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I left Maddux off my list, but he could have easily been on there (some tough choices). Great and Durable Pitcher.

An amazing factoid.
Maddux spent a grand total of 15 days on the DL in his 23 year career, and only because 15 is the minimum allowed. Tom Glavine was 42 years old before he ever spent a day on The DL.
There has never been the slightest hint either used PEDs.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't really as much a 'bandbox' era as you seem to think however....

In 13 of Spahn's 20 seasons (excluding the year he threw 15 innings), the league ERA was under 4.00, and if you look at Spahn's ERA+ (which compares his ERA to the league average) was 119, meaning his career ERA was 19% better than the average. Greg Maddux by comparison had an ERA+ of 132 and Randy Johnson had one of 135.

Maddux makes any short list on great pitchers, Johnson barely misses .
Spahn would be my choice for top starting pitcher in the post WWII period, but no doubt many deserve mention.

Tom Seaver
R. Johnson
Maddux
Were about as good as they come.

Also kudos on researching ERA+
I'm guessing you used it to confirm my claim about Lefty Grove.
He has the best ERA+ and the best winning percentage of any 300 game winner.
That makes him my #1 starting pitcher of all time.

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gretzky is more like Ruth than someone like Koufax.

I think I'm underrating Hank Aaron. He has far and away the most total bases of any mlb player and that's a valuable stat imo.
Not really, as it's a counting stat, and Aaron was known to stat-pad at the end of his career. Aaron is an all-time great and all, but honestly I think he gets overrated because of the 755 home runs.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please find an example of a 10 year outfielder with 1100 RBIs being inducted into the HOF.
Experience and observation comes in handy from time to time.
Wait, you actually care about RBI's, or am I reading this wrong?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Koufax was overrated...just like MJ, Montana, Gretzky, Ali....
I don't know if he's "overrated" or not, but considering he pitched 11 seasons, and in 5 of them never reached a 2 win season, he doesn't belong in a top 25 list based on career alone.

Now, if you want to make a list based on ability or talent, then sure he belongs, along with Bo Jackson, Joe Jackson, etc.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, as it's a counting stat, and Aaron was known to stat-pad at the end of his career. Aaron is an all-time great and all, but honestly I think he gets overrated because of the 755 home runs.
You take all of his total bases from his last 3 seasons and he would still have a sizable lead, though.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a point in there somewhere ?
What? Do I have a point? Yeah- it's that RBI's don't matter. Not that I'm trying to shit on you like everyone else in this thread. I think you were the guy talking about Bonds, and you were more right than UK Cowboy or Nosfateru or whatever, but if you factor in RBI's into a guy's production, then you have a very rudimentary understanding of baseball statistics (not that that's a problem. Statistics aren't everyone's forte. I mean I know @Chewbaccer and @Used 2 B Hu don't know a whole ton about them, but are still very knowledgable baseball fans and articulate their points well without dismissing statistics. They just acknowledge that their knowledge of them is limited. The problem is when you get guys like UK, who know nothing about statistics, and then dismiss facts because they've "watched the game longer than you've been alive" and thus must know more; not actually offering a counter to the points you've made).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take all of his total bases from his last 3 seasons and he would still have a sizable lead, though.
Sure, but I don't think it's an important statistic to lead in, regardless of stat-padding. It's better than RBI's or hits, but not a be-all, end-all (not sure if you think it is or not, just going off you saying that you think TB is an important statistic)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but I don't think it's an important statistic to lead in, regardless of stat-padding. It's better than RBI's or hits, but not a be-all, end-all (not sure if you think it is or not, just going off you saying that you think TB is an important statistic)
IIRC, Total Bases is the 2nd best stat for measuring wins. Its a pretty good stat overall with maybe some small issues here and there.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maddux makes any short list on great pitchers, Johnson barely misses .
Spahn would be my choice for top starting pitcher in the post WWII period, but no doubt many deserve mention.

Tom Seaver
R. Johnson
Maddux
Were about as good as they come.

Also kudos on researching ERA+
I'm guessing you used it to confirm my claim about Lefty Grove.
He has the best ERA+ and the best winning percentage of any 300 game winner.
That makes him my #1 starting pitcher of all time.
I'm pretty sure @StanMarsh51 didn't have to "research" ERA+....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, if you want to make a list based on ability or talent, then sure he belongs, along with Bo Jackson, Joe Jackson, etc.
Imo 'Prime Koufax' is something you say in baseball thats somewhere around 'Prime Shaq' in basketball. It carries some real weight but I think think Koufax's career is outside the top 25.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, Total Bases is the 2nd best stat for measuring wins. Its a pretty good stat overall with maybe some small issues here and there.
Where did you hear that? I've never read or heard anything about TB because it's largely been replaced by the superior slugging percentage. Not to mention, we already know that OBP is more important to scoring runs than SLG by a 1.8/1 ratio, and we also know that SLG does not assign weights to hits perfectly. For example, a home run is not 4 times more valuable than a single; thus, the need for a statistic like wOBA that measures each hit according to how many runs score on average based off that hit.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Do I have a point? Yeah- it's that RBI's don't matter. Not that I'm trying to shit on you like everyone else in this thread. I think you were the guy talking about Bonds, and you were more right than UK Cowboy or Nosfateru or whatever, but if you factor in RBI's into a guy's production, then you have a very rudimentary understanding of baseball statistics (not that that's a problem. Statistics aren't everyone's forte. I mean I know @Chewbaccer and @Used 2 B Hu don't know a whole ton about them, but are still very knowledgable baseball fans and articulate their points well without dismissing statistics. They just acknowledge that their knowledge of them is limited. The problem is when you get guys like UK, who know nothing about statistics, and then dismiss facts because they've "watched the game longer than you've been alive" and thus must know more; not actually offering a counter to the points you've made).

I dismiss Bonds because he cheated, nothing to do with RBIs, except how he came about them.
I use stats as much as anybody in evaluating a career but Clemens, Bonds and others are disqualified from consideration.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo 'Prime Koufax' is something you say in baseball thats somewhere around 'Prime Shaq' in basketball. It carries some real weight but I think think Koufax's career is outside the top 25.
Maybe so, but is the perception accurate? I understand he only was really good for 6 years, but he ranks 88th in JAWS, and 56th in WAR7.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dismiss Bonds because he cheated, nothing to do with RBIs, except how he came about them.
I use stats as much as anybody in evaluating a career but Clemens, Bonds and others are disqualified from consideration.
Oh, so you're right, that was someone else talking about Bonds (a Giants fan). Damn, I wouldn't talk about baseball very much if I were you

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you hear that?
One of the major baseball magazines. I'll have to head home to get the exact quote but its basically an article on why we need to use the stat more in terms of it being a really useful stat thats easy to follow.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so, but is the perception accurate? I understand he only was really good for 6 years, but he ranks 88th in JAWS, and 56th in WAR7.
He certainly isnt comparable to Bo Jackson - a guy who never even had 1,000 yds in a season