• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your HONEST opinions on Janikowski!

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing could ever be worse than the Blair Walsh Project.

I think Janikowski has 1 good year left,if he makes the team out of camp.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope so, but there are better option out there. Also lets not kid ourselves SeaBass is old and has not kicked a FG in a game for a LONG time. If he kicks at his Average then he is a upgrade but most kickers average goes DOWN the older they get. Just remember he has been active kicking for 17 seasons and 9 of those seasons his FG% was at 80% or BELOW.

Lets hope he is closer to his Best Season ( 91% ) than his worst season ( 66% )
Again, he's not even among the 3 oldest kickers in the league. As far as FG% going down with age, are you just saying that because you think that's the way it would go or did you actually research? Vinatieri's best % came in 2014 when he was 42 and in his 19th year in the NFL; he's had 5 seasons with > 90% in his career, and 3 of them came at age 38+. Matt Bryant has had 4 seasons of 90%+, with 2 of them after the age of 39. Matt Bryant is a career 85.8% kicker, and he's topped that in every season but 1 in the last 8, going back to when he was 35. Vinatieri's numbers are similar, and he's improved his career FG% since turning 38. Phil Dawson's numbers also haven't dropped off with age, and his best year was when he was 37; he hit 88.9% at age 40. I don't think your age case is very strong at all.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, he's not even among the 3 oldest kickers in the league. As far as FG% going down with age, are you just saying that because you think that's the way it would go or did you actually research? Vinatieri's best % came in 2014 when he was 42 and in his 19th year in the NFL; he's had 5 seasons with > 90% in his career, and 3 of them came at age 38+. Matt Bryant has had 4 seasons of 90%+, with 2 of them after the age of 39. Matt Bryant is a career 85.8% kicker, and he's topped that in every season but 1 in the last 8, going back to when he was 35. Vinatieri's numbers are similar, and he's improved his career FG% since turning 38. Phil Dawson's numbers also haven't dropped off with age, and his best year was when he was 37; he hit 88.9% at age 40. I don't think your age case is very strong at all.

I am saying that because thats how it's been. Most kickers start to lose rang and accuracy when they are older than 35. Sure their are some exceptions like there is in EVERYTHING but on the average that's how it's been. The kickers that improve are the ones that stick 90% of the time so cherry picking 5 or 6 out of the HUNDREDS that normally get cut is outlandish. Like i stated he is better than Walsh this is not a Walsh vs Seabass this is just my opinion like i stated just backed up with numbers based off HIS averages. He was not the best option in my opinion. He is what he is a career 80% FG kicker with a leg that might be able to hit a 55-60 yard FG. 50/50 chance. Lets throw Hauschka in there who is 70% from 50+. 55% is a joke, at 50+ you want a guy at LEAST 65%

Bryant 50+ 67%
Vinatieri 50+ 64% his career but the last four years he has kicked more 50+ FG per season than ever before and hit 83%
Dawson 50+ 71%

These guys stick around because they have a strong leg that hit 50+ FG's at a very High % Seabass is not in their league at 55% and lets not forget his 37% his last season he played ( 2016 ) His 2015 wasn't to bad, matter of fact 4 out of 5 is outstanding but that was 3 seasons ago and would have been his 3rd best season EVER from 50+ yards. He has been at or below 60% 11 out of 17 seasons.

I don't trust him and i think it's a band-aid move that reminds me of how TR use to do things lol.

Still holding out hope that the Hawks find some 24 year old out there with a strong leg that can hit 83%+ of his kicks and be around 65% from 50+ thats not asking much lol

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the way I look at it is the kickers who do lose range and accuracy after the age of 35 are the ones who are no longer in the league at 38-40. The ones who are still around at 40+, like Vinatieri, Bryant, Dawson, etc. are the ones who aren't losing range & accuracy. Gary Anderson kicked until he was 45. Morten Anderson until he was 47. Plenty of examples out there. Those guys didn't all stay skinny into their mid-40s either.

But yeah, Seabass has a poor hit rate on kicks over 50. And like I've already said, in the last 2 seasons combined we have attempted 2 over 50 so not really sure how much of a liability that will be if PC continues to play it that way....he may even be less inclined to go for the long ones now when we don't have a defense like in years past, but we do have a punter who may be really good at pinning them inside the 10.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still don't understand the logic of comparing some great kickers with average ones. I mean heck by your logic Fitz and Rice are the "norm" and that WR's should be awesome till mid to late 30's. I think the only reason Seabass is even in the league still is because of the "legend" of his powerful leg. I just have a bad feeling this is going to end up hurting us and SeaBass won't even be playing next year maybe even sooner.

They Should have Grabbed Kai Forbath a few days ago to be honest. Have him compete with SeaBass. I mean Heck SeaBass has kicked all of 1 FG so far.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to you stats people, but does this guy want to win or not?

I think Janikowski sees this as his last shot at a SB given those years with the Raiders.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still don't understand the logic of comparing some great kickers with average ones. I mean heck by your logic Fitz and Rice are the "norm" and that WR's should be awesome till mid to late 30's.

As quoted below, you brought up the comparison that includes the vast number of below average-average kickers through the years. That really has nothing to do with this discussion. If you're a kicker with a history of success, you're in the conversation with the others because you're in the 10% who stick around in the league. By your own logic if Janikowski was simply average, he wouldn't have almost 20 years on his resume.

I am saying that because thats how it's been. Most kickers start to lose rang and accuracy when they are older than 35. Sure their are some exceptions like there is in EVERYTHING but on the average that's how it's been. The kickers that improve are the ones that stick 90% of the time so cherry picking 5 or 6 out of the HUNDREDS that normally get cut is outlandish.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As quoted below, you brought up the comparison that includes the vast number of below average-average kickers through the years. That really has nothing to do with this discussion. If you're a kicker with a history of success, you're in the conversation with the others because you're in the 10% who stick around in the league. By your own logic if Janikowski was simply average, he wouldn't have almost 20 years on his resume.

I was including everyone in that the good the bad the future HoFers. SeaBass stuck around because he had a monster leg and average to above average accuracy and he was a icon for the raiders lets not forget they used a 1st round pick on him ( 17th player TAKEN ). Also you do not need to be an all pro or HoFer to have a LONG career. I mean heck Chad Henne is still a QB in the NFL, Also Drew Stanton, Brandon Weeden ( not long but he is old ). We have seen dozens of average QB's play until they are in their late 30's. Plus lets not kid ourselves, taking a kicking job away from a Vet as a rookie or a younger kicker is normally a tough sell unless the Vet is just out right bad. their have been a many kickers that stuck around a long time even though they were just "Average at best " kickers (Matt Bahr?)

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over 50 isn't the Seahawks kicking problem. Its the routine kicks. See, Blair Walsh.
Exactly, and we should have a guy now who is just fine on "normal" kicks.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still don't understand the logic of comparing some great kickers with average ones. I mean heck by your logic Fitz and Rice are the "norm" and that WR's should be awesome till mid to late 30's. I think the only reason Seabass is even in the league still is because of the "legend" of his powerful leg. I just have a bad feeling this is going to end up hurting us and SeaBass won't even be playing next year maybe even sooner.

They Should have Grabbed Kai Forbath a few days ago to be honest. Have him compete with SeaBass. I mean Heck SeaBass has kicked all of 1 FG so far.
Well, you said older kickers lose accuracy. I pulled the ones who are still kicking right now who are older than Seabass to show they haven't done what you said they should do. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that. But I'm sure if Janikowski tried to play until he was 70 and then at age 62 he declined, then you'll come back and talk about how you were right...ala Bennett, Michael.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, Seabass has a poor hit rate on kicks over 50.

At least we'll have a kicker where the coach feels good about attempting a 50-plus yarder... They wouldn't send Walsh out there for 50 plus yarders cuz he didn't have the leg...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we'll have a kicker where the coach feels good about attempting a 50-plus yarder... They wouldn't send Walsh out there for 50 plus yarders cuz he didn't have the leg...

Which is the saddest part of Blair Walsh last season. His only redeeming quality was that he used to have a big leg - it's hard to remember, but Walsh was one of the 4 players who held the consecutive 50+ FG record before Hauschka broke it last year. His 12 consecutive 50+ field goals made are still the record for most to start a career. Personally, I still think that Walsh's issues are mostly between the ears.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I still think that Walsh's issues are mostly between the ears.

That's what gets most kickers, just like golfers.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what gets most kickers, just like golfers.

Sad but true.

I give him credit for trying to work through it. He did put in extra time and effort - but once he botched that Washington game - he was done. He hit 56% of his field goal attempts the last 9 games. Hitting 92% the first 7 games wasn't enough - as soon as he cost a game, he fell apart.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kicking version of the yips.

the fips?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else thinks Screamer was rooting hard for Seabass to shank that 55 yarder last night?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else thinks Screamer was rooting hard for Seabass to shank that 55 yarder last night?
I do, at least that is my perception of Screamin.
The 55 yarder had room to spare. I see nothing wrong with having SeaBass as our K.

Reactions: JMR