• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Young vs Simmons

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing on the Young /Simmons debate.

There's another cause and effect consideration that comes into play with respect to Young and not so much with Simmons. Extra attention to Young because he will be a constant fixture has to have a positive effect on his teammates play. Simmons will line up where plays are designed and not necessarily always as a linebacker. As a pass defender, he could buy a little more time for the front line guys, but the immediacy of Young helps most.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Young. We are staying at #2. Don't believe the hype we are trading down.

Just as a follow up and I do agree we are taking Young. I still believe this is the wrong decision as we will have the chance to trade back. If there is ZERO chance to trade back, we take Young. My problem continues to be the following and I am curious what is the response here:

1. Defense will take up the bulk of our CAP. We are at 63 million and it appears that Kerrigan will stick around, Smith will not be cut and TW will sit out again if he is not given an extension. So, we are stuck at 63 million which isn't much. Keep in mind:

We need a true #1 CB. Should be about 13-15 million
We need a true starting MLB. Should be 10-12 million
We need a true starting FS. Should be 5-8 million
We also need a true starting OLB. Could be 5-10 million but we do have inhouse options.
We are being told Sherff will be tagged which is 16 million.

Those are the facts and that leaves us with 47 of the 63 million gone before the amount allocated for draft picks.
That being said, we cannot use FA to sign a starting LT, starting TE, starting LG and #2 WR. The money is not there. How do we address this with using draft picks starting only in the 3rd round?

2. We are basically going to have a superior DLine, solid secondary and below average LB corps on defense if we do not trade back. Are you comfortable with this?

3. We will have no starting TE, not starting LT and below average WR crops. Keep in mind we had the worst offense in the league and an inconsistent rookie QB. The season will rise or fall with Haskins and he doesn't have the support he needs and it cannot be addressed via FA. How do we help Haskins and improve the worst offense in the league with mid-level draft picks and aboug 10 million in CAP room?

If you do not trade back, you are dooming our offense for 2020.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a follow up and I do agree we are taking Young. I still believe this is the wrong decision as we will have the chance to trade back. If there is ZERO chance to trade back, we take Young. My problem continues to be the following and I am curious what is the response here:

1. Defense will take up the bulk of our CAP. We are at 63 million and it appears that Kerrigan will stick around, Smith will not be cut and TW will sit out again if he is not given an extension. So, we are stuck at 63 million which isn't much. Keep in mind:

We also need a true starting OLB. Could be 5-10 million but we do have inhouse options.

Those are the facts and that leaves us with 47 of the 63 million gone before the amount allocated for draft picks.
That being said, we cannot use FA to sign a starting LT, starting TE, starting LG and #2 WR. The money is not there. How do we address this with using draft picks starting only in the 3rd round?

2. We are basically going to have a superior DLine, solid secondary and below average LB corps on defense if we do not trade back. Are you comfortable with this?

3. We will have no starting TE, not starting LT and below average WR crops. Keep in mind we had the worst offense in the league and an inconsistent rookie QB. The season will rise or fall with Haskins and he doesn't have the support he needs and it cannot be addressed via FA. How do we help Haskins and improve the worst offense in the league with mid-level draft picks and aboug 10 million in CAP room?

The cap guy will handle all of this. Will every need be addressed this year? no. But this team will improve. Should be 74 mil to spend if we cut RK. 74 mil in fa is a lot to sure up holes.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap guy will handle all of this. Will every need be addressed this year? no. But this team will improve. Should be 74 mil to spend if we cut RK. 74 mil in fa is a lot to sure up holes.

It appears RK is sticking around so the 63 million stays put. I have already provided the numbers that are being thrown around for the FA we are targeting. If we get Hooper, as is being suggested by some pundits, that is 11 million more. That will leave us with about 5 million to secure draft picks and you still have no LT, no LG and no #2 WR.

Not trying to be difficult here but what you are saying literally makes no sense. The offense is the bigger need than the DLine. The facts bear that out.

I am not sure why you feel the running game, OLine and WRs will be fine with a 1st year play caller in Scott Turner. Perhaps you are fine with the offense flopping again and Haskins being knocked out by Week 6. The offense is a mess and its the worst in the NFL statisically. You literally do NOT have the cap room to "handle it".

I am just trying to understand where you are coming from.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well i think you need to understand that we wont fix all the needs in one season . it just wont happen

so what happens if foster recovers ? what if our young wrs grow more and the qb ? what if guice and love come back with a vengeance ?

what if we retain TW, scherrf , and flowers ?

what if RK comes back and drops 10 sacks ?

yeah i agree, trading back is in fact the best option if you ask me but it isnt a given that a trade back is available ? its fan speculation at this point

you guys can advocate all the trades you want to but the fact is if one isnt available there isnt much you can do

i feel drafting young or trading back is a win win for us and should be seen as such

and i agree that without bosa the 49ers dont make the superbowl but i also understand they had/have a better roster then we do

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think you need to understand that we wont fix all the needs in one season . it just wont happen

so what happens if foster recovers ? what if our young wrs grow more and the qb ? what if guice and love come back with a vengeance ?

what if we retain TW, scherrf , and flowers ?

what if RK comes back and drops 10 sacks ?

yeah i agree, trading back is in fact the best option if you ask me but it isnt a given that a trade back is available ? its fan speculation at this point

you guys can advocate all the trades you want to but the fact is if one isnt available there isnt much you can do

i feel drafting young or trading back is a win win for us and should be seen as such

and i agree that without bosa the 49ers dont make the superbowl but i also understand they had/have a better roster then we do

If Foster recovers, excellent news. He can compete.

We should give our young WRs every chance to grow. If they do, great.

If Guice, and/or Love, come back with a vengeance, that is great.

All the above are cheap options. If we retain TW, RK, and Flowers, we all hope they excel. It is doubtful they will.

RK won’t come back and get 10 sacks. He won’t be getting the playing time because we have Sweat and are drafting Young. Now, if we are giving up on Sweat or not drafting Young, then consider keeping him.

It isn’t worth finding out if TW is worth a damn. Take the cap savings.

As for Flowers, we probably won’t spend 8 mil on him and another 13 mil on Scherff. If we keep one, it should be the Redskin for life.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears RK is sticking around so the 63 million stays put. I have already provided the numbers that are being thrown around for the FA we are targeting. If we get Hooper, as is being suggested by some pundits, that is 11 million more. That will leave us with about 5 million to secure draft picks and you still have no LT, no LG and no #2 WR.

Not trying to be difficult here but what you are saying literally makes no sense. The offense is the bigger need than the DLine. The facts bear that out.

I am not sure why you feel the running game, OLine and WRs will be fine with a 1st year play caller in Scott Turner. Perhaps you are fine with the offense flopping again and Haskins being knocked out by Week 6. The offense is a mess and its the worst in the NFL statisically. You literally do NOT have the cap room to "handle it".

I am just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Im coming from that one offseason will not solve our team problems. Contracts always can be back loaded and the cap guys know what there doing. Lets see how it plays out I think you will be surprised how many holes get filled.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im coming from that one offseason will not solve our team problems. Contracts always can be back loaded and the cap guys know what there doing. Lets see how it plays out I think you will be surprised how many holes get filled.
I think that folks will also be surprised at how few holes there are that need filling.

Ron Rivera and his guys are supposed to be really good teachers with professional expertise. Since we really haven't seen that with this team, I'll bet that guys now deemed weaknesses will work well within their system.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you know what they are doing? This is the first season Rob Rogers has been with the Redskins. Neither you nor I have any clue what his plan is or how he will utilize the cap. You keep saying "the cap guys" will take care of it but I don't think you know what that means.

You keep repeating yourself over and over saying "holes will get filled" and the cap guys will take care of it and you have no evidence to base this on.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok as far as a trade with Detroit of this nature, yes i agree with you, its a no brainer. Thank you for the explanation.
As far as simmons being as good or better than young, id slightly disagree only because I've seen a good d-line mask inefficiencies in a secondary.
If we truly want simmons, he'd have to be taken at 2. Here's another statement you can bookmark.....thanks to an outstanding combine, he will go in the top 5.

Also im not sure simmons is the best fit here, he would automatically be expected to be the next Sean Taylor...
I agree with your sentiment however, I'm thinking Simmons would be more useful because of his ability to move around a lot in JDR's defense. If drafted, I would want the best version of Simmons because there will never be another Sean Taylor. Your right about his explosive combine, he will be a top 5 pick.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know what they are doing? This is the first season Rob Rogers has been with the Redskins. Neither you nor I have any clue what his plan is or how he will utilize the cap. You keep saying "the cap guys" will take care of it but I don't think you know what that means.

You keep repeating yourself over and over saying "holes will get filled" and the cap guys will take care of it and you have no evidence to base this on.

I trust the current management. be patient.