• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You think there will be a real competition between Dysert and Oz?

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I thought Dysert looked good. I mean he did not do anything that led me to believe he is terrible. I am hoping there will be a competition, but there are is one big thing going against Dysert.

It is that Oz was taken in the second round, which is a pretty high pick. So, Oz would be given any and all benefits of the doubt.

Just a few highlight reels that most of us have seen, but I think needs to be looked at again. I do think he has that skill to run the Kubiak offense.

He sort of reminds me of Favre in these highlights...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading reports from camp last year they said that Osweiler really showed some huge improvement and that Dysert looked like he regressed quite a bit. So my thought is no there will not be any kind of actual competition as the Broncos have made clear they think Osweiler is the future of the team. From what I read they said the issue with Dysert comes in the fact that he refuses to be aggressive at all when running the offense. He refused to try anything over 10 yards down the field during training camp when they would run either 7-on-7 drills or 11-on-11 drills. He looked at his first read then went straight to his check down. They said that this was the big difference in Osweiler showed some huge improvement going through all of his reads before going to the check down and was willing to try and fit the ball into some tight windows.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be a huge mistake for there not to be a competition between the two. That Oz was taken in the second round should be viewed as a "sunk cost" that does not affect future decisions. Need the better of the two to back up Manning.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember some Elway comments about how much he liked Dysert in the beginning. Haven`t heard him give him any kudos as of late that`s for sure. I think we`ll see Denver draft a qb somewhere in there and if Grayson happens to make it to third( highly unlikely) they could snag him there. More than likely they go later or undrafted. They def need to get another qb in there if they don`t get a FA one. If they have some major reservations about Dysert that is.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. If they are not having all QBs compete and taking the better then the entire coaching staff is worthless.

2. I have not heard great things about Dysert in training camp. Similar to what CDumler heard. I think this competition is mostly played out.

3. I hope we are not looking at QB until 5th round or later. We have too many other needs to waste a pick on a 4th QB. If you go earlier I think it is a sign that Osweiler is not the answer.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously doubt there will be any actual competition. All indications are that Ozweiler is still the heir apparent to Manning, and I don't really see that changing. If anything there could be a competition between Dysart and another QB for 3rd string. However, saying the coaching staff is "worthless" just because the pecking order is already hashed out is a ridiculous statement to make. It's not realistic to have Manning "compete" for the starting job after paying him a ton of money. That's the kind of move the Raiders would make. If Manning's still on the roster come March 9, he's our starter.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning, Rodgers, etc. tend to be exceptions to the rule. If my QB pool is Orton, Manuel, and whoever else; I want a competition.

I should have qualified it a little more. When talents are closer, a good coaching staff should have them competing. The OP made it sound like we have a stud that is not getting a fair shake and I doubt that is the case.

If Manning took a nose dive and Oz was better than him would you still start Manning just because he makes a lot of money?

Paying a lot for a starter with little talent is how the raiders operate. But again, arguing Manning/Brady/Rodgers is arguing an outlier, not the norm.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say though that this past coaching staff has shown that they will favor a veteran over a young player even if that young player is the better player. It has leaked out that one of Elway's biggest issues with Fox is that Fox refused to use young players or drafted players as often as he should have. Fox also I guess in their meeting at the end of the year pretty much told Elway he has no interest in coaching up the young players but would rather focus on the veteran players of the team. This is a big reason last year our rookies started the fewest games in the entire NFL with only 3 starts by rookies. It is also why it sometimes took injuries just for us to see certain players even get a chance like that of Brandon Marshall. The guy ended up getting some All-Pro love at the end of the year yet before injuries to Irving and Trevathan he was buried on the depth chart. On offense we saw Caldwell continue to get playing time and do terrible while Latimer who was the talk of training camp couldn't even be a game day active. We saw the team go with moving an All-Pro player out of position to Right Tackle rather than give a rookie at least one chance at the position. Now obviously we were not in the practices so maybe they were not doing as well as maybe some hoped but from the sound of the new coaching staff and Elway they were doing just fine but it was the coaching staff deciding on a veteran over the young player.

As for this discussion. I would bet every player will get a chance. Usually new coaching staffs give everybody a clean slate. I do think Elway really thinks highly of Osweiler though and when you look at this new offensive system that is possibly coming to town it seems like one that Osweiler could really thrive in.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember some Elway comments about how much he liked Dysert in the beginning. Haven`t heard him give him any kudos as of late that`s for sure. I think we`ll see Denver draft a qb somewhere in there and if Grayson happens to make it to third( highly unlikely) they could snag him there. More than likely they go later or undrafted. They def need to get another qb in there if they don`t get a FA one. If they have some major reservations about Dysert that is.

It would possibly be taking a risk talking up the backups while waiting for decisions on Manning.
Correct time to be silent.....

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would possibly be taking a risk talking up the backups while waiting for decisions on Manning.
Correct time to be silent.....
True South..this time of year for sure. I was meaning since traing camp started this yr. Never heard Elway say anything positive or negative in 2014. Unlike yr before. Doesn`t bode well for Dysert be left out of any conversation. Like CD mentioned, he must of degressed or pissed off Big John with his developement/ work ethics,etc.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning, Rodgers, etc. tend to be exceptions to the rule. If my QB pool is Orton, Manuel, and whoever else; I want a competition.

I should have qualified it a little more. When talents are closer, a good coaching staff should have them competing. The OP made it sound like we have a stud that is not getting a fair shake and I doubt that is the case.

If Manning took a nose dive and Oz was better than him would you still start Manning just because he makes a lot of money?

Paying a lot for a starter with little talent is how the raiders operate. But again, arguing Manning/Brady/Rodgers is arguing an outlier, not the norm.

This is the key here. And you and I seem to agree on Dysert too. I see him as a clear #3 behind Manning and Oz. Usually there's a reason these guys go undrafted until the 7th round or not at all, and that appears to be the case with Dysert.

If Manning took a nosedive, I'd hope that would be reflected in pre March 10 roster moves. If it happens mid season, there's no choice but to play the QB who gives the best chance to win. Some things are just unavoidable. I'd also hope Manning was not on the roster the next season.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say though that this past coaching staff has shown that they will favor a veteran over a young player even if that young player is the better player. It has leaked out that one of Elway's biggest issues with Fox is that Fox refused to use young players or drafted players as often as he should have. Fox also I guess in their meeting at the end of the year pretty much told Elway he has no interest in coaching up the young players but would rather focus on the veteran players of the team. This is a big reason last year our rookies started the fewest games in the entire NFL with only 3 starts by rookies. It is also why it sometimes took injuries just for us to see certain players even get a chance like that of Brandon Marshall. The guy ended up getting some All-Pro love at the end of the year yet before injuries to Irving and Trevathan he was buried on the depth chart. On offense we saw Caldwell continue to get playing time and do terrible while Latimer who was the talk of training camp couldn't even be a game day active. We saw the team go with moving an All-Pro player out of position to Right Tackle rather than give a rookie at least one chance at the position. Now obviously we were not in the practices so maybe they were not doing as well as maybe some hoped but from the sound of the new coaching staff and Elway they were doing just fine but it was the coaching staff deciding on a veteran over the young player.

As for this discussion. I would bet every player will get a chance. Usually new coaching staffs give everybody a clean slate. I do think Elway really thinks highly of Osweiler though and when you look at this new offensive system that is possibly coming to town it seems like one that Osweiler could really thrive in.

Interesting stuff, particularly, in my opinion, the Marshall example. Would really be nice if Latimer and Schofield are both given the opportunity and perform this year as well as Marshall did last year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good article on somebody who has been watching pretty much every one of his throws since his rookie year and the improvement he has made and just the difference between Osweiler and that of Dysert.

Can Brock Osweiler Be the Denver Broncos' Heir to Peyton Manning? | Bleacher Report

Interesting piece, particularly how Lammey thinks that Oz has made such strides in his footwork and passing motion that he might be rightly compared to a Flacco like QB who flourished in Kubiak's system. Hope that Lammey is right about all of that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting piece, particularly how Lammey thinks that Oz has made such strides in his footwork and passing motion that he might be rightly compared to a Flacco like QB who flourished in Kubiak's system. Hope that Lammey is right about all of that.

The fact that Lamney wrote this piece honestly surprises me. He has been one of the biggest Osweiler critics for the past few years so to see him do a 180 here is actually encouraging to me. He actually in many of his articles said that Dysert was looking like the better quarterback of the two so again just seems like something has began to click for Osweiler.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be insurance. He already knows Kubiak's system.

Yeah, I figure that Kubiak had to have been instrumental in the team making an offer. Since a HC's fate is often closely linked to how well his QB plays, it seems to me that Kubiak must think that Taylor has some potential.

Should be interesting to see how the QB competition in Buffalo plays out.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't help but think of this old thread after reading that Denver apparently tried to sign Tyrod Taylor before he chose to instead sign with Buffalo:

NFL Free Agency: Quarterback Tyrod Taylor turns a down deal from Broncos - Mile High Report

Perhaps Oz is less firmly entrenched as Manning's successor than we might have thought.
I'm wagering this was meant more as a replacement to Dysert than any lack of confidence for Osweiler. Tyrod Taylor is fringe talent at best.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wagering this was meant more as a replacement to Dysert than any lack of confidence for Osweiler. Tyrod Taylor is fringe talent at best.

I guess it's possible that Rex views Taylor as a potential starter, while Kubiak regards him as merely a third stringer.