• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yoan Moncada

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calsnowskier..... Because Baseball.

These kids will always go to the ny, boston, la's of the world

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calsnowskier..... Because Baseball.

These kids will always go to the ny, boston, la's of the world

If they have a weighted hard cap, similar to what they have for the US Amateur draft pool, I think it would work.

For example, each "pick" is slotted a value. Each team gets their "picks" based on their record (same as US draft order). Instead of drafting players, they simply have their pool as their cap for that year. That way, The Snakes would be able to pay Moncada a LOT more than the Nats would be able to, so there is a decent chance he would sign with the Snakes, if they wanted to dump their entire pool into him. If he wanted to sign with the Red Sox instead, they would be limited to what their pool is.

In this system, "picks" would be allowed to be traded (basically trading your pool allotment) and there would be a minimum bonus per player that would be exempt from the pool (this would allow teams to be able to sign an unlimited number of "filler" talent and not block anyone from getting into the game).

I actually think this system would work for the US draft as well. But I think there is too much $$ to made in the draft broadcast and marketing for this change to ever make it there.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, you know a lot more about it then I do.

Isn't the US amateur system flawed too? Basically teams pick guys that are "signable" I forget the kids name, but the mariners took a C a while back at pick 24 or so who was a huge huge reach, but since he was signable they took him in the first.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, you know a lot more about it then I do.

Isn't the US amateur system flawed too? Basically teams pick guys that are "signable" I forget the kids name, but the mariners took a C a while back at pick 24 or so who was a huge huge reach, but since he was signable they took him in the first.
The US system is also a draft. My proposal is to not have an international draft, but to ONLY have pools (I think this is somewhat how they do it now), but to have a hard cap instead of a soft cap.

I THINK they current have the pool system, but the cap is soft, thus Moncada is able to sign a 31.5M deal.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insane $$.
If they just implement a hard cap to amateur players, that would go a long way to keeping things somewhat sane and keeping more teams in it.
MLB has never been interested in parity.

MLB might not have expected teams to so grossly exceed their international free agent spending cap, but since they get all of the 100% tax Boston is willing to pay for going over their international cap (so around $30 million), they're not going to complain, I'll bet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB has never been interested in parity.

MLB might not have expected teams to so grossly exceed their international free agent spending cap, but since they get all of the 100% tax Boston is willing to pay for going over their international cap (so around $30 million), they're not going to complain, I'll bet.
Cant argue with a thing here...

:(

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know about international free agent spending and the intricacies of the cap and player's age/time in service in their native land. I did some quick research on it because of this thread, and all I can say is that it's nuts.