• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

YIKES....Chargers Extend K. Allen 4/$44M

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
allen rob is better than hurns, but thats their fault for doing hurns first.......robinson is a legit stud

Agree. They've backed themselves into a corner. You can't give a #2 WR #1 WR money and not expect a problem down the road.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the guaranteed money of course. If the last year for example is 16 mil and unguaranteed, unless he's playing at that level, he's really on a 3 year, 28 mil deal.

But based on 11 mil a year puts him in the top 8-10 currently, and will likely not be top 20 in a couple years.

But hey, 1st in receptions and 4th in yards only behind Deymarius Thomas, Julio Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins before he went down last season.

And Inman/Floyd/Johnson were awful trying to pick up the slack when he went down. Rivers was clearly playing a lot better with him out there as well, they were a money connection, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers had a bit to do with him getting that. The need is really really there even with adding Travis Benjamin.

Considering what you can get in FA... Marvin Jones got 8 mil a year for basically doing in 16 games what Allen did in 7.5, and the best guys get franchised and re-signed. It's a bit overpaying but if he comes back like last season and is healthy could be top 5 WR money for not top 10 pay (based on the % of the cap the year he signed his deal).

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the guaranteed money of course. If the last year for example is 16 mil and unguaranteed, unless he's playing at that level, he's really on a 3 year, 28 mil deal.

But based on 11 mil a year puts him in the top 8-10 currently, and will likely not be top 20 in a couple years.

But hey, 1st in receptions and 4th in yards only behind Deymarius Thomas, Julio Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins before he went down last season.

And Inman/Floyd/Johnson were awful trying to pick up the slack when he went down. Rivers was clearly playing a lot better with him out there as well, they were a money connection, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers had a bit to do with him getting that. The need is really really there even with adding Travis Benjamin.

Considering what you can get in FA... Marvin Jones got 8 mil a year for basically doing in 16 games what Allen did in 7.5, and the best guys get franchised and re-signed. It's a bit overpaying but if he comes back like last season and is healthy could be top 5 WR money for not top 10 pay (based on the % of the cap the year he signed his deal).
this 3240913209%

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
allen rob is better than hurns, but thats their fault for doing hurns first.......robinson is a legit stud

Robinson isn't eligible for extension until next year, while Hurns could renegotiate now because he's a Udfa. And I don't think there's much of a gap between the two. Robinson runs a couple more routes, but Hurns is an excellent possession guy who's a killer in RZ.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson isn't eligible for extension until next year, while Hurns could renegotiate now because he's a Udfa. And I don't think there's much of a gap between the two. Robinson runs a couple more routes, but Hurns is an excellent possession guy who's a killer in RZ.
They're totally different wr....... Come on sonny

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're totally different wr....... Come on sonny

Different, yes. But not a big gap imo in terms of quality. Robinson is more of a big play threat due to his versatility, but their efficiency is about dead even. I'd take either of them on the Hawks, Robinson first though.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that is exactly it on Robinson. His deal is locked this year.

Jax has PILES of cap space now. Why push Hurns back a year and let him have the possibility of hitting the franchise tag or FA and shrink your available cap space in free agency of 2017 if you do sign him then?

Not 100% sure on this but I believe Jags are still below the 4 year salary cap floor, meaning some of their extra cap space will just be paid out and split on the existing contracts with this season being the 4th year to spend it. Why not use that money for keeping Hurns instead?

And that looks like what they did. Why give a signing bonus that pro-rates on the cap? Just give him a roster bonus where it all hits the 2016 cap and frontload the deal (still have like 40 mil in space). This year is the highest cap hit of his first 4 years of his deal.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't all but a sure thing Hurns would hold out in the near future on a deal like this, and Khan had the available cash, they should have given him a 20 mil roster bonus and 10 mil salary this year and only 2.5 mil salary per year the next 4 years on his deal and just frontloaded the heck out of that deal.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped being surprised at what athletes are paid a while ago.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrance Williams is already asking for a 10M contract, I say no I won't give it to him, but the markets not agreeing with me.

10 million per season? Now, that's ludicrous.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different, yes. But not a big gap imo in terms of quality. Robinson is more of a big play threat due to his versatility, but their efficiency is about dead even. I'd take either of them on the Hawks, Robinson first though.
What does this do for Doug Baldwin? Many agree he's not a #1 even though he had a freakish 5 game run to end the year last year. He currently is Seattle's #1 while you wait to see what Lockette may become? I don't see Seattle signing him if this is the kind of #1/2 money teams are willing to pay?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrance Williams is already asking for a 10M contract, I say no I won't give it to him, but the markets not agreeing with me.
Are you sure he did? Could be wrong, but I thought it was a writer stating what he thought might happen not that he actually did

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a thread where Hurns got a 4 year 40M, this is a bargain for the Chargers.
If that is what we assume is the market I totally agree with you. I still don't get how a player like Hurns got $10M per year plus incentives. I think Allen is actually a good WR and Hurns...I just don't see him as much of a player. I know he had a decent year, but I think Jax is really going to regret this.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is what we assume is the market I totally agree with you. I still don't get how a player like Hurns got $10M per year plus incentives. I think Allen is actually a good WR and Hurns...I just don't see him as much of a player. I know he had a decent year, but I think Jax is really going to regret this.
I don't think Hurts deserves 10M either, and I could be wrong on what TW wanted, maybe it was just the writer throwing it against the wall.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes? 11mil per year for a #1 WR? That's good. He's not on Julio's or Antonio Brown's level, but had a great rookie year and looked like he could have set a record for receptions last year before a fluke injury took him down. At 24 I'll definitely take it, I'm thinking YAHOO:yahoo: instead of YIKES. TT has had a strong offseason imo.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmm...related???

Allen Robinson (hamstring) is questionable for minicamp.

Full details aren’t yet known, but it doesn’t sound like a major concern. Robinson’s training camp status isn’t in doubt.