• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah I am officially done with fighting in the NHL

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's too much damned love flying around in this thread about fighting.

I'm out of here.

Parrot-bird-roller-skates.gif

I can't stop watching that gif.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was brought up by the NHL some years ago and was quickly shot down by the officials union. They claimed stepping in to stop a fight as it's starting posed to big an injury risk to the officials.

If they wait until the point when punches start, then I see it.

But when two guys line up and start chirping at each other, it's easier to stop at that point. "you wanna go" "yeah" - 2 each for unsportsmanlinke.

Best way to reduce fighting is with fines, ejections, & suspensions IMO. Make them feel it in the wallet, that probably hurts them more than being punched in the face.

Hradek said that it should wind up an automatic gamer if you drop 'em. Not sure I agree with that because the coaches that were sending out meathead vs meathead will then be sending their meathead to start harassing stars. If you get 'em to drop to defend themselves - hooray! you just took a threat off the ice for the game. If they don't bite then your meathead was not in a "fight", and he gets to stay to try again.

I think supplemental discipline is needed. A panel of three guys who will watch the situation afterwards and decide the fine/suspension based on the whole story. And a few degrees harsher penalties for the "instigator". Calling that at game speed at ice level it's much harder to get right. I nominate Scott Stevens, Dale Hunter and Dave Andreychuk. Three guys who know toughness, but (save for one moment) were not cheap shotting pussies.

Like the Orr Parros fight would garner heavier punishment for being staged and there being a history as opposed to the guy who went after Neil after he clocked Drury those years ago. One is a crime of passion, one was just a monkey fucking a football.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hradek said that it should wind up an automatic gamer if you drop 'em. Not sure I agree with that because the coaches that were sending out meathead vs meathead will then be sending their meathead to start harassing stars. If you get 'em to drop to defend themselves - hooray! you just took a threat off the ice for the game. If they don't bite then your meathead was not in a "fight", and he gets to stay to try again.

agree with this

James Duthie on the radio (yes i caved :L) talking about Paul Maurices experience coaching in the KHL last year WHERE THEY HAVE THE GAME MISCONDUCT PENALTY for fighting

says its the most out of control league in the world ... players goading the best players into fights (see Malkin during the lockout) with all sorts of shit

gotta be some sort of accumulation suspension (ie 5th fight of the season means a 2 game suspension???)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason I don't agree with the players:

Because I work with athletes all the time, and let me tell you, they don't know what's best for them. They know how to play the game better than me, I don't give them advice there...but I know how to protect them more than they do. Limit risk. If a football player is out there leading with his head, dropping it, and spearing guys, I grab him by the face mask, tell him he's gonna kill himself. If a baseball pitcher is pitching with a low arm slot, I tell him he's increasing his risk of UCL injury. If a volleyball player doesn't know how to land from a jump and her knees buckle in, I tell her how to fix it. Injury prevention. Limit risks. Cut the macho bullshit unless you want soup for brains. As an AT I'm willing to let certain things go...you sprained your ankle? Okay, how badly does it hurt, is it something you can push through? Good, I'll tape you. You have a partial ACL tear? Well, if your doc thinks it's possible, we can rehab and brace you to try to play this season. You got hit in the head, have a headache, and can't remember the date? Have a seat. You use your brain every day, and unless you want a shell of a life, you protect it. Guess what?! Punching someone in the head increases the risk of concussion!

I realize I'm being obnoxious and I'll never convince everyone, but it's a brain. Not a tinkertoy. (one internet high five if someone gets that reference)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: I'm not saying the solution is to immediately put a ban on fighting and have a zero tolerance rule. I'm saying they have to phase it out, and they need to start it now. You see the crap going down in the NFL? Players are getting paid because the NFL knowingly put them at risk. Don't think the NHL will be immune to that.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pix when I was a kid I was a boxer. I got pretty good at it and was fighting Golden Glove boxers and doing well. One day I just decided it was something I didn't want to do and walked away from it. My son took martial arts (karate) we enrolled him for the discipline. I worked with him and he got on the brink of his black belt and stopped. He got into this MMA matches, in fact he had one that was on ESPN. I told him I would not go to any of his matches and he decided to walk away from it to. I was happy he did because his friend is still into it and I can see the efects it's having on him. I look at his wife and little girl and think (Jeff is it really worth it?).

Your point is well taken at that age they usually don't know whats best for them. I was lucky enough to know and my son was as well.

I know it's OT (a bit) just thought I would share that.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: I'm not saying the solution is to immediately put a ban on fighting and have a zero tolerance rule. I'm saying they have to phase it out, and they need to start it now. You see the crap going down in the NFL? Players are getting paid because the NFL knowingly put them at risk. Don't think the NHL will be immune to that.

By allowing them to fight?

:ss:

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if you noticed my post but I mentioned how it has an effect on players throwing good clean checks then looking over their shoulders to see if some cement head is going to take them on. I posted it early in the thread.

In some ways it discourages good hard checks.

Post 112

I did notice it and I think it is a great point! In fact I use to dislike the instigator rule as much as anyone. Then I saw a guy get called for it for jumping a player that layed out his teammate with good, clean, hard check. I've been a fan of it ever since. At least in theory, maybe not necessarily the way it is or is not enforced at times.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,393.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting is probably one of the best things about hockey

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting is probably one of the best things about hockey

WORST, not anywhere near best.

It appeals primarily to sadistic creeps who fantasize about winning but don't want to be on the receiving end of punches.
It REPELS mentally healthy people.

Phased a bit differently, it appeals more to cowards than other people.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appeals to cowards... I'm far from a coward, but carry on.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,393.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard any of my friends that like hockey complain about the fighting

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my :2cents: but I think fighting is to hockey like A1 sauce is to finely grilled steak - I don't really need A1 sauce to enjoy the steak, but it does enhance the flavo(u)r.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my :2cents: but I think fighting is to hockey like A1 sauce is to finely grilled steak - I don't really need A1 sauce to enjoy the steak, but it does enhance the flavo(u)r.

Dash, I am a passionate griller, and I think you and I need to have a talk about how steak should be eaten...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dash, I am a passionate griller, and I think you and I need to have a talk about how steak should be eaten...

lol - I really don't like A1 sauce, but I couldn't think of any better analogy at the time I posted.