• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WWE 2016 Royal Rumble Thread

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was flipping through the channels last night and saw the return of The Rock

too cool

now all that needs to happen is bringing back Stone Cold to complete the package

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wonder what creative is going to do once everyone is healthy again and still get better reactions than Reigns. He can't get burged but IMO they missed the chance to even get Reigns over as a heel with the authority. I think they'll try it and it will go over as well as SCSA joining Mr McMahon angle did.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, though, creative should recognize this and fix it.

Once upon a time, many wrestlers got over by never speaking a word. Kamala. Missing Link. George the Animal Steel.

These guys had managers who spoke for them and were basically the evil muscle who backed up the hated manager. A guy like Jim Cornett or Jimmy Hart or Bobby Heenan could take a guy like Reigns and make him into a top heel in any promotion at any time.

Brock Lesnar can't cut a promo about eating ice cream but he doesn't have to because Paul Heyman is an evil genius on the mic.

Again, it's all about accentuating the positive and hiding the negative and WWE has miserably failed at this in the case of Roman Reigns.
Oh, yes first creative should recognize this guy has heel written all over him and turn him immediately. Absolutely. And yes, once he becomes a heel he needs to get a manager...

But WWE has failed to turn him, don't think they will, and I cant recall a face who ever had a manager who was their talking head.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wonder what creative is going to do once everyone is healthy again and still get better reactions than Reigns. He can't get burged but IMO they missed the chance to even get Reigns over as a heel with the authority. I think they'll try it and it will go over as well as SCSA joining Mr McMahon angle did.
Eh, if Reigns joins the Authority I think people will like it. He isn't over, and most certainly isn't as over as Austin was when he joined McMahon. Also, Austin turning was like him turning on 3 years of rivalry with McMahon, who actually screwed him and cost him things....

Reigns has been battling The Authority for about 6 months, and previous to the Royal Rumble, everything they threw at him he overcame and turned into Super Cena v2.0......

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are smoking Reigns is over. He isn't getting 100% cheers but if you watch Raw he gets about 90% cheers and chants. That varies a depending on what arena they're in but if you look at the way the audience reacts to him after last years RR and the shows leading up to WM compared to now it's a night and day difference.

I get the cool thing among "smart" fans is to hate on Reigns because he isn't their guy but to claim he isn't over or popular is asinine.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, if Reigns joins the Authority I think people will like it. He isn't over, and most certainly isn't as over as Austin was when he joined McMahon. Also, Austin turning was like him turning on 3 years of rivalry with McMahon, who actually screwed him and cost him things....

Reigns has been battling The Authority for about 6 months, and previous to the Royal Rumble, everything they threw at him he overcame and turned into Super Cena v2.0......

I guess what I'm saying is they better be careful because they will eventually turn him heel and noone will care. They should've done it now, not down the road. IMO should've taken the fans advice of turning him since there isn't a real top heel in a manner of speaking. Noone cares about the leagues of nations, Bray Wyatt is too liked to be the top heel, Kevin Owens and the younger guys aren't ready for a heel run at the WWE title.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm saying is they better be careful because they will eventually turn him heel and noone will care. They should've done it now, not down the road. IMO should've taken the fans advice of turning him since there isn't a real top heel in a manner of speaking. Noone cares about the leagues of nations, Bray Wyatt is too liked to be the top heel, Kevin Owens and the younger guys aren't ready for a heel run at the WWE title.
I agree with you.........

But my fear is they never turn Reigns, just like they never turned Cena......I fear they will push Reigns down our throats as the top baby face over and over just like they did with Cena, and just accept the fact the 6-10 year olds like him, and will buy his products, and who cares if the 14-58 crowd hate him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What the hell are smoking Reigns is over. He isn't getting 100% cheers but if you watch Raw he gets about 90% cheers and chants. That varies a depending on what arena they're in but if you look at the way the audience reacts to him after last years RR and the shows leading up to WM compared to now it's a night and day difference.

I get the cool thing among "smart" fans is to hate on Reigns because he isn't their guy but to claim he isn't over or popular is asinine.

It's relative. He's gotten a historical push. His booking has elevated him above the rest of the fulltime roster. The reactions just aren't there given the investment. Lex Luger got pops during the Lex Express era. That's the same Pavlovian response Reigns usually gets. There will be a reaction when almost any guy gets a monster push but there's lack of energy. I like Reigns. He seems like a good guy and hard worker. They just need to change up his booking and his character. Look at the New Day right now. They were boring, low mid carders 2 years ago. Now they're the most confident, charismatic performers on the roster. Reigns obviously needs a run as a heel.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you have not been watching raw much lately, there were boos toward roman in Florida, but they have been generally loud cheering for him all around. It makes me wonder how you consider the lets go cena cena sucks chants. As long as they are loud he is doing his job. If you can hear a pin drop you have a problem.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There was a momentum after he beat the shit out of triple H and won the title but overall the reactions are tepid for a face on the verge of main evening WM for the 2nd year in a row. I'm not a huge fan of Cenas character but I've been to multiple ppvs with him on the card and the crowds were polarized but the reactions were apeshit. He's become a great worker and he can deliver a promo like a CEO of a major company. He connects with the young audience that's the WWE meal ticket

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are plenty of fans waiting for the bro fist as he walks down the stairs and maybe people are mistaking boos for Roman chants.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you have not been watching raw much lately, there were boos toward roman in Florida, but they have been generally loud cheering for him all around. It makes me wonder how you consider the lets go cena cena sucks chants. As long as they are loud he is doing his job. If you can hear a pin drop you have a problem.

Nobody gets a non reaction. Hell if just a reaction was just what they were looking for the Ascension would be in the tag team title picture. People hate them and let WWE know whenever they come down to the ring.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody gets a non reaction. Hell if just a reaction was just what they were looking for the Ascension would be in the tag team title picture. People hate them and let WWE know whenever they come down to the ring.

WWE really dropped the ball on the Ascension. If you put a manager like Paul Heyman with them and have them feud with the Dudleys you'd make money. The art of the manager is really something Vince needs to go back to with the product becoming a bit more like the 80's and early 90's version of WWF. I mean back then you had Slick, Sherri, Heenan, Mr. Fuji, Cornette, Jimmy Hart, JJ Dillion, Teddy Long, Paul Ellering, Heyman, Johnny Polo, Paul Bearer, and I know I'm probably forgetting some. Today you basically have Paul Heyman. The managers for me back then really added to the match and anyone the they were with I instantly hated and wanted to see the good guys beat.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WWE really dropped the ball on the Ascension. If you put a manager like Paul Heyman with them and have them feud with the Dudleys you'd make money. The art of the manager is really something Vince needs to go back to with the product becoming a bit more like the 80's and early 90's version of WWF. I mean back then you had Slick, Sherri, Heenan, Mr. Fuji, Cornette, Jimmy Hart, JJ Dillion, Teddy Long, Paul Ellering, Heyman, Johnny Polo, Paul Bearer, and I know I'm probably forgetting some. Today you basically have Paul Heyman. The managers for me back then really added to the match and anyone the they were with I instantly hated and wanted to see the good guys beat.

you didnt have Heyman back then, you had Paul E Dangerously.

Road warriors were two of the most destructive men that ever played in this industry. Ascension did not even start with two guys that were even decent. I doubt Hawk and Animal ever ate their hamburgers with a knife and fork.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anything about them really, never watched NXT, but there gimmick is horrible. Should've tried imitating anyone else, neither one of them would scare you in an alley. If I ever saw Hawk or Animal outside a bar I'd shit myself. I agree with more managers but the thing was in the 80's most guys we were just body builders and had no personality. Reigns in the 80's would've worked fine, not so much now

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I stand by what I said at their debut, they're too small to play that role. To play that gimmick, both guys need to be jacked to really look intimidating. Otherwise they just look stupid and the act is DOA. If you want to see the same act done correctly, check out War Machine in ROH

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried it before and it worked, so they try it again with smaller guys. Road warriors were just the perfect match of talent that will never be repeated.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I took the Ascension main roster run as a joke. It was the tag team version of Axel Mania

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried it before and it worked, so they try it again with smaller guys. Road warriors were just the perfect match of talent that will never be repeated.

Wasn't demolition more of a fuck you to the Road Warriors because they kept turning Vince down? That's the feeling I got from their documentary is that they refused to go to WWE until Hawk wore out his welcome. Even then, demolition could pull off that gimmick. They need to put Ascension with the outcasts for whatever they call that group with Bo Dallas.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anything about them really, never watched NXT, but there gimmick is horrible. Should've tried imitating anyone else, neither one of them would scare you in an alley. If I ever saw Hawk or Animal outside a bar I'd shit myself. I agree with more managers but the thing was in the 80's most guys we were just body builders and had no personality. Reigns in the 80's would've worked fine, not so much now

They didn't have the face paint and shoulder armor in NXT. All of that stuff was added when they went up to RAW. It was a dumb choice as it instantly made them look like Legion of Doom clones. They were just 2 intense guys with a very physical style down in NXT. They really just need to drop the paint and get a manager that can talk for them.