• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WS Game 5 GDT

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of clutch.... it was interesting to see Timmy talk about being over amped after Renteria's homerun. We could certainly see that in the bottom of the 7th - and we saw it in game one too. But once you've been exposed to these big-time situations a few times - you learn to control your emotions - that's why "clutch" is barely detectable, statistically, but still readily observable.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of clutch.... it was interesting to see Timmy talk about being over amped after Renteria's homerun. We could certainly see that in the bottom of the 7th - and we saw it in game one too. But once you've been exposed to these big-time situations a few times - you learn to control your emotions - that's why "clutch" is barely detectable, statistically, but still readily observable.

Yeah I told the group I was with he'd walk the next guy. Well timed calming visit from Righetti and back to dominance.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I told the group I was with he'd walk the next guy. Well timed calming visit from Righetti and back to dominance.

.....and that's where Cain has it all over Timmy. The guy is rock solid emotionally.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph interviewed by Jamie Sire last night, credited Burrell big-time for changing the atmosphere in the clubhouse - getting guys to pull for each other.

Awesome. I'll have to try and find that one. It's like I can't get enough of anything Giants right now.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pitch f/x is saying timmy's thrown 19 sliders and only 5 CH/Splitters. Zero curve balls. not sure I believe that.

From ESPN: Just think about that: At the All-Star break, Lincecum didn't even have a slider in his repertoire. And now, in the biggest game of his life, he threw a total of 41 sliders.

Zito: "I'm sure Bengie Molina is over there saying, 'I don't remember that pitch at all,''' Zito said of Molina, who was traded from San Francisco to Texas in early July. "Now it's a huge part of what Timmy does.''

Crasnick

So mostly what I thought was a somewhat lazy timmy CH/splitter, was actually timmy's slider. That thing had some huge break for a RH slider. Fuck - that is why Timmy is The Enchanter.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph interviewed by Jamie Sire last night, credited Burrell big-time for changing the atmosphere in the clubhouse - getting guys to pull for each other.

Mmmmmm...Jaymee Sire....mmmmmm

57840.jpg

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Radio call of last out:

[YOUTUBE]IH-LOvECgA8[/YOUTUBE]

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From ESPN: Just think about that: At the All-Star break, Lincecum didn't even have a slider in his repertoire. And now, in the biggest game of his life, he threw a total of 41 sliders.

Zito: "I'm sure Bengie Molina is over there saying, 'I don't remember that pitch at all,''' Zito said of Molina, who was traded from San Francisco to Texas in early July. "Now it's a huge part of what Timmy does.''

Crasnick

So mostly what I thought was a somewhat lazy timmy CH/splitter, was actually timmy's slider. That thing had some huge break for a RH slider. Fuck - that is why Timmy is The Enchanter.

Tim Lincecum's New Slider

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the read gp. Interesting analysis for sure. It looked like from the cluster of plots from the arm slot release chart that Timmy keeps a pretty similar release throughout. That seems like a good thing as far as not giving away a certain pitch (assuming I'm reading the plots correctly).

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for the read gp. Interesting analysis for sure. It looked like from the cluster of plots from the arm slot release chart that Timmy keeps a pretty similar release throughout. That seems like a good thing as far as not giving away a certain pitch (assuming I'm reading the plots correctly).

Yeah, timmy is really good at keeping a tight release point. One of the best I've seen is Ubaldo Jimenez - 12-6 curve and the fastball come from the same point, and for the first 20 feet or so are on essentially the same trajectory. But the fast ball ends up at the top of the zone, while the curve ends up at your shoe-tops. That's part of what I like about pitch f/x - if you recreate the trajectories from the data, it gives you a sense of what the hitter is seeing, and why some of these guys are so hard to hit.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, timmy is really good at keeping a tight release point. One of the best I've seen is Ubaldo Jimenez - 12-6 curve and the fastball come from the same point, and for the first 20 feet or so are on essentially the same trajectory. But the fast ball ends up at the top of the zone, while the curve ends up at your shoe-tops. That's part of what I like about pitch f/x - if you recreate the trajectories from the data, it gives you a sense of what the hitter is seeing, and why some of these guys are so hard to hit.

But at what COST? It also makes you into a stats nerd who doesn't understand the real sport of baseball! :rolleyes:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But at what COST? It also makes you into a stats nerd who doesn't understand the real sport of baseball! :rolleyes:

LOL. Actually that's a good point. Funny, I first started doing trajectories because some stat nerds at McCovey Chronicles got all over the Giants for swinging at Ubaldo's curve ball in the dirt (this was in 2009 when some people still thought of Jimenez as a back of the rotation pitcher). They posted pitch f/x strikezone charts that showed where the pitch ended up (but not how it got there), and remarked how dumb the Giants were to swing at it. I actually went into some detail about how Ubaldo was setting up the hitters for the strikeout, and how little time the Giants had to recognize the pitch, but those points went pretty much unappreciated. Fucking nerds.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Actually that's a good point. Funny, I first started doing trajectories because some stat nerds at McCovey Chronicles got all over the Giants for swinging at Ubaldo's curve ball in the dirt (this was in 2009 when some people still thought of Jimenez as a back of the rotation pitcher). They posted pitch f/x strikezone charts that showed where the pitch ended up (but not how it got there), and remarked how dumb the Giants were to swing at it. I actually went into some detail about how Ubaldo was setting up the hitters for the strikeout, and how little time the Giants had to recognize the pitch, but those points went pretty much unappreciated. Fucking nerds.

If you don't, I'm not asking for it, but do you use the same gp956 over there? I only briefly read/lurk (I've never posted) over there and I hadn't seen your name over there.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you don't, I'm not asking for it, but do you use the same gp956 over there? I only briefly read/lurk (I've never posted) over there and I hadn't seen your name over there.

No. I went deep undercover there. I posted mostly in gameday threads. The few times I joined in discussion threads it turned into cluster fucks - as there is a deeply ingrained distrust of anything old-school among the more prolific posters there. Hard to have a meaningful discussion when you cant even agree on a definition of reality. Turned out, as I found out later, that most of the top "nerd" posters are very young - like around 17.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd keep this sticky for awhile (until the end of the year at least) to get us over some of the boring, dog days of the off-season. :D

San Francisco Giants are your World Series Champions.....never has something sounded so great to these ears that still hasn't sunk in yet!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still giggle out of the blue sometimes, and people look at me weird (OK, weirder than normal) and I just say...

"The Giants won the World Series".

They tend to roll their eyes and shake their heads. (Keep in mind I live in San Diego)