• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wow Garth Snow defending the Gillies hit

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
didnt that happen in the 93 playoffs after turgeon scored the goal that knocked the caps out of the playoffs which ironically was the year of the McSorley stick measurement in the finals.If I remember were the Isles the team that knocked the pens out that year to end their 3peat attempt.Regardless as bad of a hit the gilles hit was I cant see ranking it top 3 Mcsorley and bertuzzis were far worse hell the hit cooke put on savard was worse but theres allot of hits throught the history of hockey that would come ahead of that

I dont think the hit was nearly as bad as the attack after the hit. I have never seen a guy knocked out with a dirty shot then pounded on top of it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I read that as well, the NHL Network did an interview and what I quoted is what he said. If you dont have NHL network then I dont know how else you can see it.

I'm sure it will be in the papers tomorrow.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a direct quote before I make any opinion on the matter. I can't imagine anyone condoning the action itself. I could understand protecting your player and his own reputation, but the actual act is hard to protect in anyway.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dallas Stars - Blogs - NHL - Yahoo! Sports It is on here about 2/3 of the way down the page

They're trying to eliminate checks that end up having an impact to the head," Snow said. "The hit that Trevor administered--I think he had the right intentions. In fact, he ended up maybe being reverse-hit a little bit and falling to the ice. At that point I think he was probably getting off the ice in engagement mode. Things happen pretty fast and that's the way I saw that play unfold."

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks their Coach, GM & Owner isn't going to have their teams back simply doesn't get it.

When Mario went public with his statement someone within the Islanders organization had to say something. Garth defended his team. Your team's GM would have done the same thing.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Stars - Blogs - NHL - Yahoo! Sports It is on here about 2/3 of the way down the page

They're trying to eliminate checks that end up having an impact to the head," Snow said. "The hit that Trevor administered--I think he had the right intentions. In fact, he ended up maybe being reverse-hit a little bit and falling to the ice. At that point I think he was probably getting off the ice in engagement mode. Things happen pretty fast and that's the way I saw that play unfold."

That's a very complex statement...kind of hard to understand what he's saying, or for better terming meaning, there. I'd disagree about the intentions...Gillies mocking a hurt player pretty much sums up his intentions. I have no clue what he means by reverse hit though...sorry buddy, he just started punching a guy he just elbowed into a concussed state. Obviously he'll defend his player, but I don't see him condoning it there necessarily. At the very least he's not complaining about the suspension.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone who thinks their Coach, GM & Owner isn't going to have their teams back simply doesn't get it.

When Mario went public with his statement someone within the Islanders organization had to say something. Garth defended his team. Your team's GM would have done the same thing.

You are cool with it, we get it. I was just shocked he would defend it. I think most fans (should) be shocked he defended this act.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why? Do you think the Penguins didn't have Ulf Samuelsson's back when he ended Cam Neely's career? You bet they did!

Are we going back 20 years to find something now? I said I get it, you are cool with it, what else needs to be said? I was asked to provide a link so I did.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a very complex statement...kind of hard to understand what he's saying, or for better terming meaning, there. I'd disagree about the intentions...Gillies mocking a hurt player pretty much sums up his intentions. I have no clue what he means by reverse hit though...sorry buddy, he just started punching a guy he just elbowed into a concussed state. Obviously he'll defend his player, but I don't see him condoning it there necessarily. At the very least he's not complaining about the suspension.

I dont believe what gilles did was right but to be fair Talbot laughing in an interview about hurting comeau which isnt much better.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont believe what gilles did was right but to be fair Talbot laughing in an interview about hurting comeau which isnt much better.

Comeau played the rest of the game, there was no reason to believe he was injured. I dont think he was told this and found it funny. I think he was pretty jazzed about finally scoring a goal if I remember correctly.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau played the rest of the game, there was no reason to believe he was injured. I dont think he was told this and found it funny. I think he was pretty jazzed about finally scoring a goal if I remember correctly.

This is what I'm talking about.I have openly said I do not agree with what Gilles did both the hit and follow up.My whole point is the pens have played their role as well both during the game and in previous games.My main problem with Lemieux's ataement is he is preaching against something that his own players are guilty of themselves.What I dont understand is why you can come down so hard on the Isles actions but are so unable to own up to the actions of the penguins as well.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What did I say that wasnt taken account for their actions. It is a fact that Comeau played the entire game so why would Talbot believe he was seriously injured. That was right after the game and there is really no reason to believe Talbot knew he was injured. This is a few days after the fact, when all the information is available. I have said Cooke is a douche and deserves what he gets. What do you want to hear. I am not going to lie to you and say Talbot knew what happened and thought it was funny. The information doesnt support that.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is I can understand complaining about what Gilles did it was wrong.As I can understand complaining about the sucker punch I dont care for them either.Hell I've witnessed one front row I'm the guy by the P in this clip.Yet you'll defend Talbot for hitting comeau when he was prone,or Letang for getting A shoulder up on comeau's head,or praise a guy for leaving a bench to throw punches at a guy whos already occupied even if its with a goalie who was willing to fight.I also dont understand how you can say cookes dirty and yet agree with lemeiux's statement its contradicting.I am curious to see what happens next time the pens have an inccident involving cooke after Mario verbally spoke out against dirty play.Its A two way street you cant have it both ways if its bad for one its bad for the other and both teams should take responsability.

And there was no suspension for that

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My point is I can understand complaining about what Gilles did it was wrong.As I can understand complaining about the sucker punch I dont care for them either.Hell I've witnessed one front row I'm the guy by the P in this clip.Yet you'll defend Talbot for hitting comeau when he was prone,or Letang for getting A shoulder up on comeau's head,or praise a guy for leaving a bench to throw punches at a guy whos already occupied even if its with a goalie who was willing to fight.I also dont understand how you can say cookes dirty and yet agree with lemeiux's statement its contradicting.I am curious to see what happens next time the pens have an inccident involving cooke after Mario verbally spoke out against dirty play.Its A two way street you cant have it both ways if its bad for one its bad for the other and both teams should take responsability.
And there was no suspension for that

When did this bold part happen? I never defended any of the hits. You said this is due to Talbot laughing in an interview after hurting Comeau, as if it were that same. I do not agree mainly because the situation is different, as I pointed out. There is no doubt the Pens got under their skin, but I think the Isles crossed the line trying to get retribution probably because they are not a playoff team and whatever happens isnt going to hurt their chances. And the 2nd bold, this would be applicable if what each team did was comparable. It certainly was not, if you think it was then there really isnt a reason to continue this discussion.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did this bold part happen? I never defended any of the hits. You said this is due to Talbot laughing in an interview after hurting Comeau, as if it were that same. I do not agree mainly because the situation is different, as I pointed out. There is no doubt the Pens got under their skin, but I think the Isles crossed the line trying to get retribution probably because they are not a playoff team and whatever happens isnt going to hurt their chances. And the 2nd bold, this would be applicable if what each team did was comparable. It certainly was not, if you think it was then there really isnt a reason to continue this discussion.

I've already posted clips of the 2 hits I spoke of in the original thread maybe you didn't see them maybe you chose not to .either way It makes no sense for me to keep arguing my opinion.no matter how many examples or video clips I put up it seems you'll never admit the pens have their skeletons as well.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hear Mario call out the Islanders, even with this idiot on his team

[youtube]0Z1vJrIAg-0[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To bad Cooke didnt start punching those guys after the hit, then we could compare it to Gillies.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad the whole Isles team didnt get Cooke in a kick circle.