• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you trade Aldon Smith for AJ Green, straight up?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we need to keep working on the Josh Gordon trade. Package draft pick or picks or a draft pick and a player that has some value to them...and it may have to involve a decent player who has some potential. :suds:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to keep working on the Josh Gordon trade. Package draft pick or picks or a draft pick and a player that has some value to them...and it may have to involve a decent player who has some potential. :suds:

Don't think Cleveland is going to give up Josh Gordon now.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Aldon for AJ Green.... In Madden yes in real life... Only if my football knowledge consisted of fantasy points..... Hell no it would be utterly ignorant.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should have really pushed for that when the option was out there. I would have went with a 2nd easy and throw in another pick to sweeten the deal. If the rumors were true and that is what they wanted at the time, the Niners really could have done something great.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The anticipation for the big game Sunday is getting me a little antsy, so I thought I'd throw out one of my trademark crazy trade ideas...

What would you think of the Niners pulling Seattle (altready sounds like a bad idea, I know) and rolling the dice by offering a pick for Maurkice Pouncey this offseason? I say pull a Seattle becauase it's a big risk on a guy who's been injury-prone.

Pittsburgh has one of the 5 worst cap situations in the NFL this offseason, and Pouncey should have a pretty big cap hit this year. And he should be going into a contract year, so they might not be able to afford him long-term. Since he only has 1 year left on his deal, SF could trade for him for relatively cheap, and they wouldn't necessarily have to sign him to a long-term deal because they'd obviously want to see how he plays coming off that injury.

Pouncey hasn't been reliable, but that's why it wouldn't cost a ton to trade for him; and Pittsburgh needs younger, cheaper talent like Troy Polamalu needs a hair cut. And if SF could get him to play anywhere near he's capable of playing, that could simply be the best O-line ever assembled (at least close to it).

NOTE: I'M NOT NECESSARILY ENDORSING THIS IDEA! Just throwing it out there...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The anticipation for the big game Sunday is getting me a little antsy, so I thought I'd throw out one of my trademark crazy trade ideas...

What would you think of the Niners pulling Seattle (altready sounds like a bad idea, I know) and rolling the dice by offering a pick for Maurkice Pouncey this offseason? I say pull a Seattle becauase it's a big risk on a guy who's been injury-prone.

Pittsburgh has one of the 5 worst cap situations in the NFL this offseason, and Pouncey should have a pretty big cap hit this year. And he should be going into a contract year, so they might not be able to afford him long-term. Since he only has 1 year left on his deal, SF could trade for him for relatively cheap, and they wouldn't necessarily have to sign him to a long-term deal because they'd obviously want to see how he plays coming off that injury.

Pouncey hasn't been reliable, but that's why it wouldn't cost a ton to trade for him; and Pittsburgh needs younger, cheaper talent like Troy Polamalu needs a hair cut. And if SF could get him to play anywhere near he's capable of playing, that could simply be the best O-line ever assembled (at least close to it).

NOTE: I'M NOT NECESSARILY ENDORSING THIS IDEA! Just throwing it out there...

So you're not endorsing this deal???? :doh:

But anyhoot, I was for a ATL type trade up last yr(we got Reid for it) and would not be oppose to another ATL/SF trade up again... I want to stand on my quality over quantity goal for this current roster/coaches.

Problem with Pouncey, he's really injury prone and unlike Harvin, he's not someone to waste a first rd pick for. At least with Harvin, he's a WR thus he could absolutely improve an offense or other areas to the team where as at C, thats not really something you could tell thats bad or good, pending on the game.

One thing our OL has been successful is continue play with the same 5 guys... Pouncey wouldn't get chemistry down due to foreseable injuries. Why not just draft a healthy top tier C in the 2nd or 3rd... Alex Mack would make this OL unfunny to opponents lol...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One thing our OL has been successful is continue play with the same 5 guys... Pouncey wouldn't get chemistry down due to foreseable injuries. Why not just draft a healthy top tier C in the 2nd or 3rd... Alex Mack would make this OL unfunny to opponents lol...

Mack would be perfect, but I don't think there's any way Cleveland lets him go. I'd tag him if I were Cleveland & couldn't work out a long-term deal.

But if they were dumb enough to let him go, I'd have no problem paying top dollar for him (and Iupati). They'd have to go cheap on other positions, but I have no problem with that; keep that OL super strong (or even make it better) and good things will happen.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack would be perfect, but I don't think there's any way Cleveland lets him go. I'd tag him if I were Cleveland & couldn't work out a long-term deal.

But if they were dumb enough to let him go, I'd have no problem paying top dollar for him (and Iupati). They'd have to go cheap on other positions, but I have no problem with that; keep that OL super strong (or even make it better) and good things will happen.

yeah, we chatted on this before... you know where I stand, thats just TOO much invested in OL... gimmie Iupati/Aldon over Iupati/Mack...

Center could be addressed through draft or FA... maybe trade?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
yeah, we chatted on this before... you know where I stand, thats just TOO much invested in OL... gimmie Iupati/Aldon over Iupati/Mack...

Center could be addressed through draft or FA... maybe trade?

Well we're in agreement about Aldon VS anyone else. In fact, I think it's more important to have Aldon than Kaepernick long term.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The sports guys in Cleveland said Mack is as good as gone

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is the closest thing to a 2011 draft thread I could find.

Marcell Dareus:

Marcell Dareus returns to Buffalo Bills' training camp - ESPN

Apparently he came into camp out of shape & failed his physical. He also got arrested in Hamburg on drug charges (Alabama, not Germany). Actually, he was arrested twice this offseason. He's also facing reckless driving charges from a crash in 2012 when he was apparently racing Jerry Hughes. This guy on ESPN says if he doesn't turn his act around he could get cut in the offseason. I think that's ridiculous. Bills exercised their option for a 5th year on him:

Buffalo Bills exercise 5th-year option on Marcell Dareus - ESPN

If Dareus ever becomes an URFA, I would be EXTREMELY interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not that either team would ever do it, but would you if it was presented to you?

just going with football value, or factoring in off field issues?

for just football value, absolutely not. not that I don't want a top WR, but the passing game starts with the QB, not WR. a good QB makes the passing game work, even with average WR's. a good WR can elevate the QB, but nearly as much. cause the QB has to get him the ball first, and with timing.

with today's rules favoring the passing game, you absolutely need a pass rush. all play-off teams you face, likely have a good passing game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well we're in agreement about Aldon VS anyone else. In fact, I think it's more important to have Aldon than Kaepernick long term.

this could certainly be the mood after this season? if Kaep remains the same QB, they won't be thinking Kaep as long term.

whereas if Aldon remains the same, he's already an All-Pro, and key to our defense.

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this could certainly be the mood after this season? if Kaep remains the same QB, they won't be thinking Kaep as long term.

whereas if Aldon remains the same, he's already an All-Pro, and key to our defense.

I agree with your statement Aldon is All-Pro and Kaep not so. However what do we do if/when Aldon fucks up again? We will be in the same situation that the Browns are in with Gordon.

I believe we need to look for a solid replacement for both players. We have seen glimpses of potential from Kaep, he hasn't proven in his college or professional career that he can work in tight areas( the redzone ). Between the 20's hes been solid. I'm not against drafting an early QB whom we can groom under Harbaugh.

I thought the trade for Gabbert was foolish but after the Kaep contract, maybe the FO sees something in him? The contract basically allows us to draft a mid round QB and see what he's got.

drafting well is the key to long term success.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with your statement Aldon is All-Pro and Kaep not so. However what do we do if/when Aldon fucks up again? We will be in the same situation that the Browns are in with Gordon.

I believe we need to look for a solid replacement for both players. We have seen glimpses of potential from Kaep, he hasn't proven in his college or professional career that he can work in tight areas( the redzone ). Between the 20's hes been solid. I'm not against drafting an early QB whom we can groom under Harbaugh.

I thought the trade for Gabbert was foolish but after the Kaep contract, maybe the FO sees something in him? The contract basically allows us to draft a mid round QB and see what he's got.

drafting well is the key to long term success.

there is always the possibility Aldon messes up again, but do you trade him for Green now, anticipating he will? IMO no.

the 49ers are always drafting to replace current players, and yes that includes Kaep and Aldon. granted the level of urgency depends on the performance of each player? not against drafting a early QB either, and in fact last year posted I'd draft a franchise QB in round 1. that didn't go over well on this board, but sticking with that opinion even now.

don't think Gabbert was a bad trade, cause its just hard to afford a quality back-up.