• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would You Rather?: College Football Edition

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The greatest x & o guys are there ones at great High School programs. (Public schools) They win by knowing the game nd ting the most out of every athlete they have. Those are special kinda guys.
This sounds similar to what Bobby Knight once said. He said something to the effect that when he needed to learn some more basketball, he'd go to some backwoods little shool in Indiana where a coach had to play with what he had and get the most out of 'em. They knew basketball...not how to coach the already talented/developed.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We kind of have the answer to this. His name is Chris Petersen.

Got more money, but jumped up in competition to take the gig in a P5 that he didn't already have ties to while leaving a program where he could pretty much dominate the non P5 scene.

Hell, I think a lot of coaches would take the P5 gig with two loses and a new years 6 vs undefeated non P5 school with an outside looking in and hope to reach anything more than a new years 6. And not just for the money. Everything else that comes with coaching at that level and the access to a larger pool of more talented kids.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have fun with the first question, so, here's another!

Would You Rather....

Allow college athletes to be able to capitalize on their brands by having free market capabilities?
Or
Make college athletes employees and give them salaries?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would You Rather....

Allow college athletes to be able to capitalize on their brands by having free market capabilities?
Or

The second option is not realistic. It's a gigantic shitstorm waiting to happen.

The first option is common sense. Don't know why it isn't allowed.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would You Rather....

Or

1 - Will never happen. Can you imagine the boosters that would line up to buy 7000 Jerseys with Mr. 5*'s name on the back at $50.00 a pop. If the athlete only got 10% of the sale, that's $35K in their pocket from one booster. Take that times a few boosters and it would allow any school with big money donors to bid for services. I know that currently happens, but this would just legitimize it.
2 - Gigantic shit storm x 2. Among other things, imagine if OSHA got involved.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second option is not realistic. It's a gigantic shitstorm waiting to happen.

The first option is common sense. Don't know why it isn't allowed.

1 - Will never happen. Can you imagine the boosters that would line up to buy 7000 Jerseys with Mr. 5*'s name on the back at $50.00 a pop. If the athlete only got 10% of the sale, that's $35K in their pocket from one booster. Take that times a few boosters and it would allow any school with big money donors to bid for services. I know that currently happens, but this would just legitimize it.
2 - Gigantic shit storm x 2. Among other things, imagine if OSHA got involved.

The questions isn't whether these two will happen or not, the questions is which one would you rather have happen. Both are unrealistic, I think any college sports fan knows that, but that's the point of the game.

JOZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TTXslr.gif
which ever school has the better looking cheerleaders!

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The questions isn't whether these two will happen or not, the questions is which one would you rather have happen. Both are unrealistic, I think any college sports fan knows that, but that's the point of the game.

Fair enough.
For me, it would be #1. Nebraska has a shit ton of BMD's. We can keep up in the arms race.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would You Rather....

Or

On the first option, it depends:

I don't know about capitalizing on their "brand." For most of these guys, if they have a "brand" it was one they got from playing at the school that gave them the scholarship. So, as far as things like percentages of jersey sales, etc. I'd say no.

On the other hand, if they want to try to make money off of their skill by, for example, making instructional videos, I have no issue with that. I would see that as no different than a student who is a math whiz getting paid to be a tutor or posting instructional videos on complex math problems.

I agree with other on the 2nd option. That would be a shitstorm of epic proportions.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds similar to what Bobby Knight once said. He said something to the effect that when he needed to learn some more basketball, he'd go to some backwoods little shool in Indiana where a coach had to play with what he had and get the most out of 'em. They knew basketball...not how to coach the already talented/developed.

Hell yes. Those guys know every trick in the book and they are masters of the mind.

Those guys have to be able to adopt an offense and defense that their current players are
meant to play, rather than having the luxury of bringing in players that fit what they want to do.

It's akin to personal finances. If I wanted to learn about making money, I'd spend time
talking to some guy that can get 6 cents out of every nickel rather than some goon on
Wall Street.

I'm laughing right now, but I have learned things fom other folks that have always stuck in
my mind. One was..."If you want to have money in your pocket at the end of the week, live
the first two days after you get your paycheck, the same way you did the last two days
before you got your paycheck." The other one my late Momma told me..."Never shop at the
Grocery Store when you are hungry." Good Heavens ws that a true statement. I've broken
that rule from time to time and have returned home with 50 more dollars worth of food
that will go bad before I can ever get to it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One was..."If you want to have money in your pocket at the end of the week, live
the first two days after you get your paycheck, the same way you did the last two days
before you got your paycheck." The other one my late Momma told me..."Never shop at the
Grocery Store when you are hungry." Good Heavens ws that a true statement. I've broken
that rule from time to time and have returned home with 50 more dollars worth of food
that will go bad before I can ever get to it.
These are great.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are great.

I've meant to tell you, that I really enjoy reading a UTEP fan who has knowledge and posts
when most every season for you has to be a downer.

Anyway, FWIW, Your win over BYU in 1985, in my book, was the greatest upset in CFB
History. Piss on that Stanford/USC stuff or even Centre College over Harvard. Centre
College had an all-American on their team.

I remember reading/seeing the score and didn't believe it. No PC's in those days.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, FWIW, Your win over BYU in 1985, in my book, was the greatest upset in CFB
I was actually at that one. (I've sat through some real ass whippings.) That game was crazy. Dropped something like 9 in coverage...clock just ran and even if they finally found an open receiver, when they got close to the end zone the field was too small.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would You Rather....

Or
I wouldn't have a problem with the first option, were it not so simple to create a work around end use it as a means of simply paying a kid to come to your school.

"Oh yeah - we'll guarantee you $50,000 on your 'brand' if you come play for us at SMU!"

The second option is so terrible as to be a complete non-starter. If you classify players as employees, you have to tax them on their scholarships (which are basically funny money in that they are simply transfers of money from one ledger to another). So the players end up having to get jobs just to pay the taxes on money they never even got to hold of choose how to spend.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would You Rather.....

Play the 2009 Alabama National Championship Team on a neutral site
or
Play the 2013 Florida State National Championship Team on a neutral site

Let's have some fun!!

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the first coach probably makes a few million more than the second, I say option 1.

This for sure, probably about a 5 mil a year difference.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who Would You Rather Have As Your Starting QB?

Lamar Jackson
OR
Sam Darnold
OR
Jalen Hurts
OR
Jake Browning
OR
J.T. Barrett
OR
Baker Mayfield