• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would You Rather?: College Football Edition

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather....

Be a coach in a power-5 conference, lose 1 game but pretty much have a guaranteed lock in the playoffs even if you don't win the Conference title
or
Be a coach in a non-power 5 conference, go undefeated, win a conference title and hope you get a playoff spot, but it's not guaranteed.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather....

Be a coach in a power-5 conference, lose 1 game but pretty much have a guaranteed lock in the playoffs even if you don't win the Conference title
or
Be a coach in a non-power 5 conference, go undefeated, win a conference title and hope you get a playoff spot, but it's not guaranteed.
Compensation says a person would rather be the first one.

Hell, compensation says you'd rather go 0-12 and be in a power 5! There is a whole bunch of guys making a ton of money in the P5s and not winning shit! Something like $1 million dollars per loss every year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather....

or
Given the first coach probably makes a few million more than the second, I say option 1.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather....

or

:lebowski2:

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money would definitely be the main factor. But look at, for example, the coach of Western Michigan. Last year, he takes an 8-5 team to a perfect regular season record. Yes, he loses the bowl game, but he goes undefeated and wins the division. He now has a head coaching spot at a Power-5 conference school. I think I'd like that story and that opportunity.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money would definitely be the main factor. But look at, for example, the coach of Western Michigan. Last year, he takes an 8-5 team to a perfect regular season record. Yes, he loses the bowl game, but he goes undefeated and wins the division. He now has a head coaching spot at a Power-5 conference school. I think I'd like that story and that opportunity.
He went to Minnesota. It's not like he got a high profile job. It's Minnesota.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went to Minnesota. It's not like he got a high profile job. It's Minnesota.

No but it's a better job than Western Michigan. Went from a MAC school to a Big Ten school. That's a promotion to me. And who's to say in 3-4 years we don't see him as the coach of Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State. Ya never know!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd like that story and that opportunity.
The vast majority (if not 100%) of other P5 coaches were already in "that opportunity". The revenue gap between P5s and G5s is so huge that even the bottom dwelling P5s can pay coaches a lot of money.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vast majority (if not 100%) of other P5 coaches were already in "that opportunity". The revenue gap between P5s and G5s is so huge that even the bottom dwelling P5s can pay coaches a lot of money.

But my example was of a non P5 coach. In that scenario, its been proven that I can build a team up and be successful with a non P5 team. Imagine what I can do with a P5 team, ya know? Obviously the financially right choice would be the first one. But I think I would like the nostalgia of saying I went undefeated with a non P5 team and got promoted to a P5 program lol.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which school has the hotter chicks?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

Look at Urban Meyer. He didn't just show at Florida one day. He built his way up from Bowling Green to Utah and then to Florida.

At the end of the day, P5 is where you want to end up. Simply put. $$$$$$$$$$$

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Look at Urban Meyer. He didn't just show at Florida one day. He built his way up from Bowling Green to Utah and then to Florida.

At the end of the day, P5 is where you want to end up. Simply put. $$$$$$$$$$$
Yep...and even the bottom dwellers make a lot of money.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But my example was of a non P5 coach. In that scenario, its been proven that I can build a team up and be successful with a non P5 team. Imagine what I can do with a P5 team, ya know? Obviously the financially right choice would be the first one. But I think I would like the nostalgia of saying I went undefeated with a non P5 team and got promoted to a P5 program lol.

There's more to it than that. You can build up a non-Power5 team by being able to coach up
and scheme a game plan.

If you are only mediocre in recruiting you'll never be highly successful in P5. Granted, there are
some exceptions, but very, very few. Spurrier was never a great recruiter but he coached
in States at Flagship programs with great and numerous recruits in the State. He didn't have
to o after them...they came to him. But he could scheme.

Look at the Boise coaches. Nutt, had some success at Arky. But Koetter tanked. Harris tanked.
Peterson is doing ok at Washington. They were all great at Boise because they got a special
kinda athlete when they were there. Those players would do everything they were asked to do
and would run thru a wall for the school. You don't get that type of athlete at a Power5
school. You get thugs and whiners. You can only discipline them by having great athletes
behind them. Threaten their playing time.

The greatest x & o guys are there ones at great High School programs. (Public schools) They win by knowing the game nd ting the most out of every athlete they have. Those are special kinda guys.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid question is stupid.